8/9/13 Depth Chart

I don't dislike Shayon and I think he'll have a role, but if Gilbert can play and some of these other transfers (Kamalu, Renfrow) can play then we're going to see Shayon less and less.

Again, Shayon led the defense in tackles last year and has been in the system for three years. You may not think Green deserves PT but the coaches obviously feel different. Gilbert hasn't even had a practice yet and you claim he's going to step on campus and take his job?

Green is poised to have just as good of a season as any player on the defense right now. **** just a few days ago Armbrister was a JAG and if he was in the lineup the defense was in bad shape. Let the coaches coach these players up and the depth chart will work itself out. We fans have no clue whats going on behind the scenes.

Would you shut up?

I never said Gilbert would step on campus and take his job. But if Gilbert comes in and proves he's ready to play then I guarantee you we'll see less Shayon Green.

You STFU! All you do is flap your wrists on this board. You talked smack about Shayon and said when Gilbert gets on campus he'll take Shayons PT. Now you guarantee we'll see less of Shayon. This is the same Gilbert that is battling injury and hasn't had a single practice.

Shayon led the defense in tackles and is a captain of this team. He's actually participating in practices and listed on the roster. Your guarantee means jack**** right now.

If Gilbert isn't better than Green, then we wouldn't be bringing him in here as a guy with one year of eligibility left. Green, as tough as he is and as great a leader as he is, is VASTLY overmatched out there at this level of football.

He will make a great coach one day, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him as on The Don's staff at some point because he loves him so much. But, as a player, he's not cut out for this. You can cite the tackle stat all you want, but it's meaningless.

He played a million reps last year and didn't make a single play that anyone remembers other than those where he got blocked off the screen or looked like a 93 year old woman trying to change direction.

Advertisement
If Gilbert isn't better than Green, then we wouldn't be bringing him in here as a guy with one year of eligibility left. Green, as tough as he is and as great a leader as he is, is VASTLY overmatched out there at this level of football.

WOW smh i mean have you been watching the camp reports at all? Green is another year fully healthy and has shown the ability to disengage from blockers and has shown good burst getting to the back field. "overmatched" when describing Green is laughably incorrect.... Last year was his 1st year even playing unlike the other d-lineman who didnt do much of anything either.

You say he didnt make a single "memorable" play last year but who did on the d-line and why is Green the main target of your bashing when he was the only semi-productive player on our d-line???

Also Green and Gilbert are TWO different d-ends that will have TWO different responsibilities.... you think Gilbert is going to be a better run stopper then Green???

This Shayon Green "debate" is nonsensical.

Shayon Green is a man. He could have given us plenty of quality snaps last year. Problem was the ****in guy was forced to play every snap of the season. He isn't that guy and it sure took away any chance he had of picking his spots and making plays.

Shayon Green playing a billion snaps = not good

Shayon Green rotating and playing what his body allows = productive

Goddammit people its about depth. Green and Chick are going to he a **** of a lot better this year simply for the fact that we have depth. We had enough trouble setting edges last year, could you imagine if McCord had played 100% of our snaps? Or would this year?

Golden starts certain players because they ****in earned it, and Green went through more battles than anyone on the team last year. You would also think by now our fans would know how much we rotate when we have depth and how little our "starters" mean.

I couldn't agree more...it makes too much good sense...HIGH QUALITY POST

Last edited:

Shayon Green is a man. He could have given us plenty of quality snaps last year. Problem was the ****** guy was forced to play every snap of the season. He isn't that guy and it sure took away any chance he had of picking his spots and making plays.

Goddammit people its about depth. Green and Chick are going to he a **** of a lot better this year simply for the fact that we have depth. We had enough trouble setting edges last year, could you imagine if McCord had played 100% of our snaps? Or would this year?

Golden starts certain players because they ****** earned it, and Green went through more battles than anyone on the team last year. You would also think by now our fans would know how much we rotate when we have depth and how little our "starters" mean.

Nailed it.

That's why when people ragged on Chick it ****ed me off, kid played almost every single snap as a true FR and So. Kids a warrior and will be far more productive this year when he can get a few breaks throughout the game.

I don't dislike Shayon and I think he'll have a role, but if Gilbert can play and some of these other transfers (Kamalu, Renfrow) can play then we're going to see Shayon less and less.

Again, Shayon led the defense in tackles last year and has been in the system for three years. You may not think Green deserves PT but the coaches obviously feel different. Gilbert hasn't even had a practice yet and you claim he's going to step on campus and take his job?

Green is poised to have just as good of a season as any player on the defense right now. **** just a few days ago Armbrister was a JAG and if he was in the lineup the defense was in bad shape. Let the coaches coach these players up and the depth chart will work itself out. We fans have no clue whats going on behind the scenes.

Would you shut up?

I never said Gilbert would step on campus and take his job. But if Gilbert comes in and proves he's ready to play then I guarantee you we'll see less Shayon Green.

You STFU! All you do is flap your wrists on this board. You talked smack about Shayon and said when Gilbert gets on campus he'll take Shayons PT. Now you guarantee we'll see less of Shayon. This is the same Gilbert that is battling injury and hasn't had a single practice.

Shayon led the defense in tackles and is a captain of this team. He's actually participating in practices and listed on the roster. Your guarantee means jack**** right now.

He will make a great coach one day, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him as on The Don's staff at some point because he loves him so much. But, as a player, he's not cut out for this. You can cite the tackle stat all you want, but it's meaningless.

He played a million reps last year and didn't make a single play that anyone remembers other than those where he got blocked off the screen or looked like a 93 year old woman trying to change direction.

Disagree with this and pretty much the whole post. We brought in Renfrow, who isn't better then Porter, Robinson, Pierre, for depth. As JHall's post pointed out, its all about depth and rotation. Gilbert isn't being brought in to play every down just like Green shouldn't be playing every down. Both can and will be effective playing limited snaps.

Plus there is absolutely no downside to bringing in a 1 year player if you have room. If he works out, great. If not, he's gone next year anyway.

Advertisement

Shayon Green is a man. He could have given us plenty of quality snaps last year. Problem was the ****in guy was forced to play every snap of the season. He isn't that guy and it sure took away any chance he had of picking his spots and making plays.

Golden starts certain players because they ****in earned it, and Green went through more battles than anyone on the team last year. You would also think by now our fans would know how much we rotate when we have depth and how little our "starters" mean.

Don't mind the village idiots. They remind me of the Butch Davis early years when the planes flew over the OB calling for his head when he was assembling the greatest CFB team ever. These clowns have zero vision. You know you're not dealing with a full deck when you actually believe the leading tackler on your defense has no business playing.

Keep in mind most of these guys swore Radio Charmin would lead us to the promise land.

Let me guess: He is practicing..

WOW smh i mean have you been watching the camp reports at all? Green is another year fully healthy and has shown the ability to disengage from blockers and has shown good burst getting to the back field. "overmatched" when describing Green is laughably incorrect.... Last year was his 1st year even playing unlike the other d-lineman who didnt do much of anything either.

You say he didnt make a single "memorable" play last year but who did on the d-line and why is Green the main target of your bashing when he was the only semi-productive player on our d-line???

Also Green and Gilbert are TWO different d-ends that will have TWO different responsibilities.... you think Gilbert is going to be a better run stopper then Green???

LULZ at you citing nonexistent reports of Green's nonexistent heroics at practice. You know the standards for players at UM have gone in the toilet when dudes are getting all googly eyed over a DE who played a million snaps and never even sniffed the QB.

The guy is six feet tall with arms shorter than Dink the Clown and knees held together with duct tape. **** right he's overmatched. He's the definition of overmatched. Pop the ND tape in if you don't believe me. He was regularly being single blocked off the screen by ND's TE. That shouldn't happen to a major D1 DE.

Love the dude as credit to my alma mater and a great leader. He'll make a great coach one day. As a DE at this level of football not so much. Hopefully he'll make a few plays for us this year in a reserve role and lead his young teammates like a champion.

The chart lists Lewis as a Sophomore when he earned a medical redshirt. He's got four more years.

Also, as good as Coley is, I'd love to see Burns returning, has great vision, super quick, great movement. I honestly think he would be a better option than Dorsett. Dorsett is faster, but vision is lacking.

I think this Lewis redshirt thing has been covered🌝

LULZ at you citing nonexistent reports of Green's nonexistent heroics at practice. You know the standards for players at UM have gone in the toilet when dudes are getting all googly eyed over a DE who played a million snaps and never even sniffed the QB.

The guy is six feet tall with arms shorter than Dink the Clown and knees held together with duct tape. **** right he's overmatched. He's the definition of overmatched. Pop the ND tape in if you don't believe me. He was regularly being single blocked off the screen by ND's TE. That shouldn't happen to a major D1 DE.

Love the dude as credit to my alma mater and a great leader. He'll make a great coach one day. As a DE at this level of football not so much. Hopefully he'll make a few plays for us this year in a reserve role and lead his young teammates like a champion.

I have film he sniffed him,watch your mouth.

Advertisement

Would you shut up?

Disagree with this and pretty much the whole post. We brought in Renfrow, who isn't better then Porter, Robinson, Pierre, for depth. As JHall's post pointed out, its all about depth and rotation. Gilbert isn't being brought in to play every down just like Green shouldn't be playing every down. Both can and will be effective playing limited snaps.

Plus there is absolutely no downside to bringing in a 1 year player if you have room. If he works out, great. If not, he's gone next year anyway.

I don't know if you follow college football, aside from the Canes, closely. But if you do, then, you know with absolute certainty that Gilbert is a far superior player to Green.

Some dudes are mistaking the criticism of Green's game as criticism of Green personally, and they're getting all riled up about it. Green is to DEs what Popovich was to Safeties. He was a stop gap guy that we were forced to play because we had NO ONE ELSE. As we get better players, you won't see DEs like Green logging big minutes at UM.

Of course I follow football, I know all about Gilbert. Went to school at UW.

That said, I don't think they are going to asked to do the same job. I don't think the staff will utilize Gilbert as a 3 down DE (I could be wrong), I don't see him playing 30+ snaps a game (don't see Green getting that many either). I think both will do well in a limited role.

You are saying Green can't play at all, I disagree. I think he can have a roll. You are also saying they wouldn't bring in Gilbert if they clearly didn't think he is better then Green despite them bringing in Renfrow when he isn't better then Porter, Robinson, Pierre. Its all about depth and rotation.

Advertisement
Back