8-4

Anyone who says we have "no talent" and thus need a recruiter here to "build the program up" should be shot in the face.

We do need a recruiter. Thats not to say that we need Mario, thats to say we need a good coach that understands that recruiting at a high level is necessary. Herman is new to the headcoaching game but he understand that recruiting at a high level is necessary. Dude got a 5 star recruit committed to Houston. Golden received praise for recruiting some good classes but a good recruiter wouldve had great classes at Miami. Most of the top players didnt even have Miami in consideration. Cook committed to three schools not named Miami. So we have talent but it could be way more talent with the right coach. Not saying that we need a used car salesman but we do need somebody that understands that Miami has the potential to recruit on the same level as a Bama and FSU and if Miami does recruit on that level, Miami will also play on that level.

The coach you just made a case for (Herman) is an excellent option because the strongest aspects of his resume revolve around coaching acumen.

- Went 11-1 in his first season as a head coach at a program that hadn't won more than 8 games during the previous coach's tenure.
- Outscored opponents 259-116 in the second half of games this season, illustrating his ability to make in-game adjustments.
- Ohio State's offense is scoring 10 fewer points per game than they did a year ago with Herman as their playcaller, co-OC, and QB coach.
- Houston's offense is scoring 13 more points per game than they did a year ago with Herman as their head coach.
- Houston was 15th in the country in third down conversion percentage before going 16-of-19 today.
- 2014 Broyles Award winner
- Led an OSU offense that didn't miss a beat when down to their third-string QB during their national title run last season.

Herman also happens to be a plus recruiter, but that ability is pretty far down the list below several bullet points about his coaching acumen. On the other hand, the case for the likes of Butch/Strong/Mario begins with recruiting right off the bat (with Butch being a unique case because he's one of the best evaluators/recruiters of the past quarter century).

Recruiting is important. We're never going to get back to competing for championships without improving our blue-chip ratio and keeping more difference makers home. But the only way to sustain that is by hiring a great coach who can win quickly and give us a gameday advantage on the sidelines against quality opposition for the first time in over a decade.

Herman has proven that he can do that with a prior regime's players. Others who are recruiters first, coaches second won't provide us with that luxury. And the longer it takes, the more their pitch falls on deaf ears.

Last edited:
Advertisement
4-1 under Scott including 2 wins in which we were substantial underdogs. Can't forget that the preseason over/under for wins was 5.5. Of course with Folden we would have lost today, vs. Duke, and London OWNS Folden so we end up under if he wasn't fired.

Anyone who says we have "no talent" and thus need a recruiter here to "build the program up" should be shot in the face.

There you go again. Yes we have talent. Is it talent anywhere near what we use to have or can have with right coach? I don't think so. I believe coaching is extremely important, but JJ always said it was more about the Jimmys and the Joes than the Xs and the Os. We have many times had talent that our coaching did not do justice -- that is how good our recruiting can be. Heck, even JJ screwed his first two NC shots by being out coached. Eventually we will come up against Saban or Urban or someone like them. When that happens, I do want a good coach, but I also want every single piece of top talent we can lay our hands on.

Happy as ****. This looked like an 8-9 win team in preseason despite the coaching and they should land right there.

This was at least a 10 win team during the regular season. These kids had no coaching and won 8 games.

Plenty of talent for next year.

Agreed, I predicted 8-9 wins factoring in the coaching.

We have good players up and down, even in the kicking game

Credit where credit is due.

This team is really in great shape with the right coach.

We have deficiencies in talent (at some spots) and coaching.

Good coaching is worth probably 2 more wins, which would put as at 10-2. Now imagine if the talent level is where it should be as well.

There's no reason UM can't be a 10+ win team every year.

Advertisement
I'm glad we lost the games we lost. We could've lucked into wins against cinci and fsu and we'd still have the fat man. Season was a great success

Good coaching is worth probably 2 more wins, which would put as at 10-2. Now imagine if the talent level is where it should be as well.

We should be every year. No reason UM shouldn't be **** coastal champs every year this **** is mind boggling.

There you go again. Yes we have talent. Is it talent anywhere near what we use to have or can have with right coach? I don't think so. I believe coaching is extremely important, but JJ always said it was more about the Jimmys and the Joes than the Xs and the Os. We have many times had talent that our coaching did not do justice -- that is how good our recruiting can be. Heck, even JJ screwed his first two NC shots by being out coached. Eventually we will come up against Saban or Urban or someone like them. When that happens, I do want a good coach, but I also want every single piece of top talent we can lay our hands on.

Honest question since Mario's the only candidate I've seen you vouch for aside from Butch.

Would you rather have Mario Cristobal than Tom Herman?

Yeah, I'm not sure why people need to make it an either or thing. The Miami Hurricanes need to be coached much better. The Miami Hurricanes need to acquire more top level talent. The right hire does both of those things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement

We need to be doing what FSU does on their side. They either win it or come in 2nd every year. UM and FSU should be on the same level because that's what we always were. There's no reason at all for them to be ahead of us.

Yeah, I'm not sure why people need to make it an either or thing. The Miami Hurricanes need to be coached much better. The Miami Hurricanes need to acquire more top level talent. The right hire does both of those things.

But even with our recruiting... (and you know how I feel about Golden's recruiting)

We still had enough lead in our pencil to go 10-2 this year. It's crazy.

If Duke, Wake, GT, VT, and now UNC can get to the ACC CG, there is no reason Miami can't consistently get there with a competent COACH.

Advertisement
8-4 just like I predicted, **** I'm always right....

That's good, but I predicted the score of every game. I even predicted the 8 lateral finish against Duke.
Wait, my wife just pointed out that I didn't do any of that. She says I predicted 6-6. But, ya know, if you turn and twist that first 6 it sort of looks like an 8. That would necessarily make the second 6 a 4.

A very disappointing season because it was a wasted year.

Despite the obvious reality that Golden was horrible and would never win here, the admin. brought him back. This team, even with its problems, should have been a 10-2 squad.

Advertisement
If Duke, Wake, GT, VT, and now UNC can get to the ACC CG, there is no reason Miami can't consistently get there with a competent COACH.

We should be in the ACC CG EVERY year. There isn't a year where we won't have more talent than any of those teams. Our only competition in the ACC should be FSU and Clemson.

Honest question since Mario's the only candidate I've seen you vouch for aside from Butch.

Would you rather have Mario Cristobal than Tom Herman?

Oh crap! I don't think I ever vouched for Mario. I remember accusing of buy endorsements from HS coaches and sending an email to Blake warning him that Mario would turn THE U into a banana republic and get us the death penalty. I don't want Mario at all. I am married to a Cuban and she doesn't want Mario or Marko for that matter. If anything I have written sounded like I am for Mario, mea culpa.

There is a lot I like about Herman and if we bring him in to take over after 3 or 4 years of Butch's talent gathering, I am all in. JJ, Dennis, and Larry all took over extremely talented teams. Only JJ reloaded that talent and Butch helped do that. While we do have talent it is not the levels those coaches were gifted. Herman will make a splash but it seems everyone expects him to do what he helped do at OSU. OSU have tons of talent and a long history of hard nose defense and running QBs. He fit there well. At Miami he needs to rebuild the defense, and if he expect to run a OSU type offense, change our offensive DNA. Some thing that is easy here. I do not believe that. Al try to alter our basic nature by changing our defense. I firmly believe we have the advantage of being able to field a defense that will again dominate football. Nobody else can do that. Anyone can have a "new" offense. When you can do something nobody else can, you should take advantage of that.

All that said, I would rather have Herman than Mario by a 1000 miles. Mario has already failed, Herman has not.

Advertisement
Back