#6 Wake Forest bs #3 Miami 3:00 p.m. ACCN (allegedly)

Advertisement
All the evidence points to an early exit . . . No Omaha. Just based on our play.

If you host a super, you expect to be in Omaha. I am curious, before the season would hosting a regional or hosting a super and or getting to Omaha realistic for this team?

From reading the board here it seems like Manny has moved from football to baseball. Is Gino really that bad of a coach?
Fair question, and no, I doubt most on here expected a possible Top 8 seed or perhaps even hosting. But, it's more about the inconsistent, sloppy play down the stretch and the dumb mistakes. That's baseball, but we make more than our share.

This team has shown signs of brilliance at times, but we've been teased before only to be disappointed when it matters. Next weekend will tell us a lot, I suspect.

Lotta hand wringing and scoreboard watching here. If the Canes don’t get a
too 8 seed, then they don’t get an top 8 seed. The season isn’t over. If they are truly worthy of the CWS, then they should be able to beat anyone, anywhere- without a home field advantage. If they aren’t good enough to be a CWS team, well then it’s like going to a funeral in a gold coffin- you’re still dead. Just chill and wait until Monday.

Have we considered the possibility that the committee doesn’t get Bally and was blacked out in the ESPN app?

Book Club Cat GIF

Advertisement
Regional

Palmquist starts game 1 in the 1/4
Walters starts game 2 in the winners bracket

Ziehl is the setup and McFarlane closes. Everyone else is all hands on deck to fill in. Walters has to start and go as far as he can.

Regional

Ziehl is the setup and McFarlane closes. Everyone else is all hands on deck to fill in. Walters has to start and go as far as he can.
Feel like Gino and Arteaga did Ligon a disservice down the stretch. Kid limped to the finish line

Regional

If you’re going to take a swing at it, start McFarlane game 1. I think you’d get more length out of him vs Walters. There are at least a few starts in that arm this season.

Advertisement
Feel like Gino and Arteaga did Ligon a disservice down the stretch. Kid limped to the finish line
Ligon has been cashed for a month. It’s time to get out of the box. Palmquist beats a 4 seed. Walters is our best shot to get 5 to 6 against a good team.

Reality, this tournament showed we can’t get to 3 of our 4 best pitchers if our starters get lit up. Change it up. Walters can start.

If you’re going to take a swing at it, start McFarlane game 1. I think you’d get more length out of him vs Walters. There are at least a few starts in that arm this season.
I’d move McFarlane to closer. No reason Walters can’t throw 75-80 pitches. He 100% can.

I think it all leads back to a highly regarded Rosario not panning out this year. He was supposed to be our Friday starter and had an ERA over 7.00 and two wins. His tanking created a domino effect where so many others had to step up into a tougher slot. A dominant Rosario and Palmquist would have been powerful 1-2. It would have taken a lot of pressure of Lingon and Garland too. A succeeding Rosario would have eaten up another 25 innings IMO which would have even helped the pen. We might have won another five games which would have given the whole program that much more confidence. Butterfly effects are crazy in sports.

Advertisement
The funny thing is Miami isn't really out of a top 8 seed. I was worried about Southern Miss, but they lost. TamU and Auburn could make a run in the SEC tournament and get a top 8 seed, but that's really it and only one of the two will get there. Vandy, ND, WF, and UNC make up the 6-9 RPI. Only ND could be an national top 8 seed because the others don't have a good conference record in my opinion. Texas #10 RPI could win the Big 12 pushing them into a top 8 RPI, but has a 14-10 conference record.

Everyone else ahead of Miami at #14 RPI doesn't have a good enough conference record to get a national top 8 seed. Maybe East Carolina can sneak in there currently at #17 if they win their conference tournament.

So, there's 2 spots open if ND takes one of the 6-8 national seeds. Miami could back its way into a top 8 seed. The way the team is playing it may not even matter.
1-5 is already solid. A&M is already projected at 8. I believe they’ve done enough to keep that. Which leaves two spots. If ND and Texas win, we’re out.

1-5 is already solid. A&M is already projected at 8. I believe they’ve done enough to keep that. Which leaves two spots. If ND and Texas win, we’re out.
It’ll be interesting how they evaluate ND too, since they literally didn’t play anyone ahead of them in conference in the tourney. The best team they’ll face is freaking UVA or Wake.

What’s the fascination with Lovelady? Who cares if he played here. That doesn’t make him the best choice for HC. He hasn’t done a whole lot with UCF.
He was the hot name and it’s cooled off at UCF. IMO if you fire Gino, you make a splash hire like LSU did with Jay Johnson. These guys are my top three. You make them say no.

Tadlock
Heefner
Bakich

Advertisement
It’ll be interesting how they evaluate ND too, since they literally didn’t play anyone ahead of them in conference in the tourney. The best team they’ll face is freaking UVA or Wake.
For some reason it’s an unpopular opinion here, but we finished ahead of them by a negligible margin in the regular season and beat them 2 or 3. That doesn’t compare to winning the tourney of the best conference in the country. Doesn’t matter who they had to to play. It’s not their fault the “best” teams lost out. They did their job and the others didn’t.

For some reason it’s an unpopular opinion here, but we finished ahead of them by a negligible margin in the regular season and beat them 2 or 3. That doesn’t compare to winning the tourney of the best conference in the country. Doesn’t matter who they had to to play. It’s not their fault the “best” teams lost out. They did their job and the others didn’t.
I don’t agree with anything that you’ve said, but I appreciate the response.

We were closer to finishing ahead of VT than ND was to finishing ahead of us. In fact we likely only lost out because VT didn’t play enough games. That would’ve won us the conference, and yet we finished third because of the division-winner mandate that gave second to Lou. But it doesn’t matter, there’s no excuse, because at the end of the day we finished third. However, calling the gap between us and ND “negligible” means you need to call the gap between us and first “extremely negligible”, imo. Can’t have it both ways, and we finished ahead of Lou record-wise, while ND did not.

So we finished third in the best conference in the country, while playing every good team in the conference but one. Also while beating ND head to head in a series literally last weekend. That’s a heck of a lot more impressive than winning a tournament, period, let alone winning it against the worst teams who entered. ND is in the exact same boat as us looking up at VT, but with a worse record.

I can’t even begin to understand, “(The season) doesn’t compare to winning the tourney no matter who they had to play.” You’re a very knowledgeable poster but that doesn’t make an ounce of sense. Who you play doesn’t matter? Winning the season is less impressive than winning the tourney? What?

If the conference is good, then the season matters more than the tourney. If the conference is bad, then the season matters more than the tourney. I don’t think you’d be arguing otherwise if it wasn’t UM here.

I don’t agree with anything that you’ve said, but I appreciate the response.

We were closer to finishing ahead of VT than ND was to finishing ahead of us. In fact we likely only lost out because VT didn’t play enough games. That would’ve won us the conference, and yet we finished third because of the division-winner mandate that gave second to Lou. But it doesn’t matter, there’s no excuse, because at the end of the day we finished third. However, calling the gap between us and ND “negligible” means you need to call the gap between us and first “extremely negligible”, imo. Can’t have it both ways, and we finished ahead of Lou record-wise, while ND did not.

So we finished third in the best conference in the country, while playing every good team in the conference but one. Also while beating ND head to head in a series literally last weekend. That’s a heck of a lot more impressive than winning a tournament, period, let alone winning it against the worst teams who entered. ND is in the exact same boat as us looking up at VT, but with a worse record.

I can’t even begin to understand, “(The season) doesn’t compare to winning the tourney no matter who they had to play.” You’re a very knowledgeable poster but that doesn’t make an ounce of sense. Who you play doesn’t matter? Winning the season is less impressive than winning the tourney? What?

If the conference is good, then the season matters more than the tourney. If the conference is bad, then the season matters more than the tourney. I don’t think you’d be arguing otherwise if it wasn’t UM here.
I’m arguing it for every team that I’m moving ahead of Miami. Texas, A&M, USM, and ND. Like it or not tourneys matter. That’s why one bid leagues, go by their tourneys and not regular season.

And yes I say negligible for every ACC team in the top 4. You separate them by head to head and how they finish down the stretch. That leaves us and Louisville on the outs. Idk how many years in a row I have to be right about the committee, before everyone understands this is how it’s done. Doesn’t make it right or wrong, it’s just how it is.

IMO if ND wins the ACCT, you should be asking how Miami could take their spot when they will have a much higher RPI and a conference champ beside their name, with a comparable record. Same amount of Q1 wins as of tonight as well.

I’m arguing it for every team that I’m moving ahead of Miami. Texas, A&M, USM, and ND. Like it or not tourneys matter. That’s why one bid leagues, go by their tourneys and not regular season.

And yes I say negligible for every ACC team in the top 4. You separate them by head to head and how they finish down the stretch. That leaves us and Louisville on the outs. Idk how many years in a row I have to be right about the committee, before everyone understands this is how it’s done. Doesn’t make it right or wrong, it’s just how it is.

IMO if ND wins the ACCT, you should be asking how Miami could take their spot when they will have a much higher RPI and a conference champ beside their name, with a comparable record. Same amount of Q1 wins as of tonight as well.
Except not head to head, because we beat ND head to head, down the stretch. That’s the only team I’m objecting to, in relationship to UM’s chances. ND lost their last series, head to head, against a comparable conference opponent. They’ve won 2 games in the tourney. Yay.

Why is the top 4 negligible? Why not top 6? It’s an arbitrary distinction to say “these guys are basically the same, but those guys are different.”

RPI is a fair point, considering the history of the committee. It doesn’t make ND’s case better to me, but it’s a fair point for them.

Advertisement
Back