Defensive Scheme vs Talent

RiDLer80

All-American
So, I've been yearning for Canes football more lately now that football is so close. I've been watching Flash Forwards from last season, but not our wins; the ugly losses. I watched ND yesterday and Kansas State today. I decided to take some screen caps of our pre-snap defense vs KSU.

What I noticed a lot of the time was that we were out-numbered in the box a lot. I know Wildcat Defense brought this up in another thread how we'd handcuff ourselves in the running game when walking a LB out. Here are some examples of our defense being setup for failure IMO.

With a running quarterback like Klein was, you have to account for the QB. Here are some pre-snap looks of our pre-snap defense where we were out-numbered in the box and KSU ripped off some chunk plays because of it.

tpgfJK4.jpg

Here you can see we have 6 in the box vs their 7 blockers + the QB as a run threat. In this play our defense actually stretched this play out nicely, pursued well and held it to about a 3 yard gain. The rest of the plays resulted in some nice chunks. At least 5 yards a pop, often more.

SL0clv1.jpg

Here you can see we have 4 DL and 1 LB in the box, vs their 5 OL to block our 5. This play resulted in a huge run by Klein.

5IfpoCS.jpg

Here we have 5 in the tackle box with two LBs walked outside of our DEs. KSU has 5 OL, a TE and a RB to block on this play. They get a hat on a hat and Klein bounces this outside for another big gain.

sEHsk3D.jpg

Here we have 6 in the box to defend the run vs their 5 OL + 1 TE. Again, KSU gets a hat on a hat and, the LB at the top (Armbrister) loses contain and the RB picks up about 9 yards.

QfEn0qK.jpg

Here we have 7 in the box and KSU has 7 blockers. Again, a hat on a hat for them and the RB isn't touched until he's about 8 yards down field.

V1YpkYT.jpg

Here we have 6 in the box with the safety walked up so we'll say 7. However, KSU has a tight formation (2 TEs) plus the RB as a blocker to give them 8 blockers for the run game. Here, Klein only picks up about 5 yards (lol only 5 yards), but you can see we were still outnumbered.

9ji2zmF.jpg

Here we have 7 vs their 7 in the box, and guess what? Hat on a hat for KSU, the RB isn't touched until he's tackled 9 yards down field.

I didn't do the second half because I didn't have the patience, but it was pretty obvious we were out-schemed by KSU. We can say we had pups on the field who shouldn't have been out there, we can say somebody has to beat their man and make a play, but what if we just don't have superior players? What if the opponent simply has better players on offense than we do on defense? Shouldn't our defensive coordinator scheme to put or players in a position to succeed. It seems to me going through these plays that we were doomed before we even stepped on the field.

Maybe if I'm feeling not lazy I'll go through another game, maybe one we weren't completely dominated in and see how our defense looks. I do know that last year I took a screen shot or two against UNC I believe where I noticed the same thing.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Again? Really? There are dozens of threads covering the same topic. NEXT!
225.gif

Last edited:
The scheme calls for shoulder to shoulder gap control. Essentially, it means hat-on-hat should be at least effective against teams that like to spread & run.

That being said, the Dorito scheme doesn't work if the linemen are being put on skates and the defensive secondary is crap. ****, nobody has a scheme that would work when both pass and run defenses are ******.

In that KSU game, I would've loaded up against the run and taken a chance with Klein who is a streaky passer at best. Miami did it the year before and almost won the game if it wasn't for some soft *** play in the redone on that final drive.

Honestly what all you need to know was the first play of the season last year.

We are late to line up against BC. Then the coaches see our defensive lineup and they call a TO before the first play of game.

The OC for BC was salivating at our line up. Come back first play of game was like a 50 yard pass.

We can blame alignment on the youth. SMH.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCBGaN32RUM

Advertisement
Hopefully with a stronger front, more depth and much more experience, the play of the DL will be much improved.

The scheme calls for shoulder to shoulder gap control. Essentially, it means hat-on-hat should be at least effective against teams that like to spread & run.

That being said, the Dorito scheme doesn't work if the linemen are being put on skates and the defensive secondary is crap. ****, nobody has a scheme that would work when both pass and run defenses are ******.

In that KSU game, I would've loaded up against the run and taken a chance with Klein who is a streaky passer at best. Miami did it the year before and almost won the game if it wasn't for some soft *** play in the redone on that final drive.

Definitely.

That offense put you in a tough spot to be honest. When you are talking about a hat on a hat and 7 on 7, to be honest that's not the worst position to be in. You're asking just one, one guy to beat a one on one!
Let's put this into perspective if you got one of our receivers one on one with a defensive back, you expect our guy to win. It's nothing about scheme and all that, straight up beat the guy in front of you man to man, beat em up, that's why you play ball to have one on one opportunities, whether its offense or defense.
I look at last year as basically glorified practise every game for the defense to figure the alignment and gap control and all that, until they got weight and size one, so they can beat those one on ones this year. Just my take,
But seriously beat the guy in front of you, you can't expect the offensive schemes to be designed to have a free guy. Them boys on the offensive side of the ball ain't stupid. So it came down to beating the man in front of you, they didn't do that all game vs KSU and when they did they prolly made a play.

The defense in that KSU game was so pathetically conservative and vanilla, you can tell D'onofrio just didnt trust his personnel at the time but what so dumb about it is yo *** is getting eatin up anyways put 10 in the box switch it up.

I think Al Golden checked him after that and Miami's defense was more aggressive from that point on even in the ND game we got destroyed in.

Advertisement
Probably wasn't fair for me to do the second game of the season. I'll do a later performance later on.

Advertisement
I have mentioned it before and as you can see some people dont care or even want to understand. If its not sunshine they get all like that "leave britney alone" guy....

I NEVER understood this defense. For the type of players we put on the field we were dead on arrival just by our alignment. You have freaking eddie Johnson who is terrible in coverage walked out on a WR. I know Lu has mentioned but Kstate spread us at will then just ran the ball. If you look at screenshot and personnel, basically we cant stop the run (numbers/alignment) or the pass because we are in base coverage with LB covering WR (personnel). Just a stupid thing to do consistently.

When your mentality is "Yards Dont Matter" this is what happens... This is typical bend but don't break... Let them drive down the field and hope for a turnover or tipped pass on third down... Sickens me too my stomach

our defense was solid in year 1 .. year 2 not so much..what changed?

The style of play of our offense.

agreed.. and the talent/ maturity of the defensive 2 deep.. people act like Donof is a no name dude who hasn't ever fielded a good defense. this is baffling. there's evidence that these guys know what they're doing on that side of the ball.

Advertisement

Really?

I mean I know we fielded an up tempo, high scoring O last year, but even if the D was fully rested do you actually think they'd have been able to stop anyone?

That team was so talent deficient (in terms of mature players - lots of talented Freshmen/Sophmores).

What I wasn't impressed with is that when the 'bend, but don't break' D clearly wasn't working we didn't just unleash the dogs. What else have you got to lose? 2 spots on the D ranking list?

The style of play absolutely had something to do with our overall defensive ranking. Going uptempo gives the opposing offense more opportunities to rack up yards and points.

Whether we're scoring in under two minutes or going 3-and-out in 30 seconds. Giving the ball back to the opposing team after short possessions gives them more chances to gain yardage.

agreed.. and the talent/ maturity of the defensive 2 deep.. people act like Donof is a no name dude who hasn't ever fielded a good defense. this is baffling. there's evidence that these guys know what they're doing on that side of the ball.

You knew of Dorito before he came here? I dont think if you ask every BCS conference team who he is they would know. (Penn state excluded.) Dorito would have the same trajectory as that OC randy hired. ( I already forgot buddy name). Just because a coach does well in a lower conference doesnt automatically mean he will do well at BCS level. Heck some coaches at one BCS school cant perform at another.

The guy hasnt proven anything at this level. Honestly he isnt even qualified for the job. His only qualification is he is Golden's best man. Thats it.

Advertisement
Back