5 Walk-ons go on Scholarship

Advertisement
I love it. Wisconsin of the south!! Now we just need to be perennial corstal champs and we can really be the Wisconsin of the south.

Advertisement
You just killed his confidence. Please, don't let it happen again. Now, it's going to affect his performance. See, just that. Come on now. U know im pulling your leg. If the case, why didn't he get one
I think he got his last year.

I don’t know anything about scholarships, encounters etc. But i guess this is the only way you get to 85 or close to it with these dumb rules.

Advertisement
pathetic that UM football has about 70 D1 football players on its roster today. The rest are just bodies....good for the walkons but Canes brass should never be in this position. Again, more reason the AD should be fired.
Pretty much a mixed bag. I’m very happy for these kids who I’m sure worked hard but on the flip side, it’s not a comforting reflection on where we’re at in terms of depth.

Pretty much a mixed bag. I’m very happy for these kids who I’m sure worked hard but on the flip side, it’s not a comforting reflection on where we’re at in terms of depth.

We all know where we're at with depth. OL has bodies, but inferior talent. LB is walking wounded. CB is scary thin. TE and RB are an injury or two away from being very uncomfortable. And WR is a bit low on numbers, too.

But, fvck, man. We have 5 young men who showed up at UM willing to pay their own way to play for this team. Now they get to play on scholarship. That's big. Let's celebrate that for 1 ******* day without stressing the flip side of the coin (which is, admittedly, very real).

@RVACane, this isn't really about your response (which was relatively tempered), so much as a few above.

We all know where we're at with depth. OL has bodies, but inferior talent. LB is walking wounded. CB is scary thin. TE and RB are an injury or two away from being very uncomfortable. And WR is a bit low on numbers, too.

But, fvck, man. We have 5 young men who showed up at UM willing to pay their own way to play for this team. Now they get to play on scholarship. That's big. Let's celebrate that for 1 ******* day without stressing the flip side of the coin (which is, admittedly, very real).

@RVACane, this isn't really about your response (which was relatively tempered), so much as a few above.
Agreed. I didn’t want to **** on it. It’s a **** of an accomplishment and I’m happy to see these kids work hard and get rewarded.

Advertisement

Couldn’t agree more NFZ. I knew there would be a few negative reactions when I created this thread. But I was sincerely excited for these guys for all the reasons you mentioned. Their team mates were excited as well and things like these help build bonds throughout.

Agreed. I didn’t want to **** on it. It’s a **** of an accomplishment and I’m happy to see these kids work hard and get rewarded.
We all know about the roster issues but this was a positive moment that I felt needed to be shared. It’ll also build goodwill throughout the team and can be a great example of how hard work and dedication pays off.

Just shows how incompetent our staffs have been at managing the roster.

Cool for the kids getting on scholarship, but how about we actually sign, develop, and keep enough guys to actually be at the 85 limit at least once in the next decade...
It’s **** near impossible to get to the 85 limit with the way the transfer market is structured currently...

Living below the cap is gonna be the norm unless the NCAA revamps their hard count that you can apply to add players every year

Advertisement
1583538500100.png

Dumb. This isn't Make-A-Wish or UNICEF.

We just added 5 people, each with multiple years of eligibility left, to scholarship. If these guys were seniors it wouldn't matter, but this is 1 RS junior and 4 RS sophomores. None of them outside of Price will ever see meaningful playing time. We have enough passengers on this roster already.

We had an opportunity for the next class to be 17-20 kids to bring us to 85. We'll still get to 85 next year, but we wont be able to sign as many players now.

Major league stupid stuff here.

Dumb. This isn't Make-A-Wish or UNICEF.

We just added 5 people, each with multiple years of eligibility left, to scholarship. If these guys were seniors it wouldn't matter, but this is 1 RS junior and 4 RS sophomores. None of them outside of Price will ever see meaningful playing time. We have enough passengers on this roster already.

We had an opportunity for the next class to be 17-20 kids to bring us to 85. We'll still get to 85 next year, but we wont be able to sign as many players now.

Major league stupid stuff here.

When looking at this roster and our scholarship numbers I don't see any math that backs what you are claiming here.

When looking at this roster and our scholarship numbers I don't see any math that backs what you are claiming here.
We are now at 81 with these additions.

85-81 equals 4.

We only have 8 seniors.

4 plus 8 equals 12.

We'll get to 14 when Brevin and Rousseau leave early.

Manny is a special needs coach

Advertisement
Back