5 Walk-ons go on Scholarship

C'mon, dude pick another team than Clemson of all places to compare our roster to.

The only way this isn't an issue is if all 8 guys are gone this time next year.

Those walk-ons don't need to be "gone" this time next year, just not on scholarship.

UM gives away a ton of "service scholarships".

If you are the Student Government president, you get tuition for a year. The Miami Hurricane newspaper editor in chief gets a full scholarship, as well as the Business Manager. The Ibis Yearbook editor in chief gets a full ride too. I could list numerous student leadership positions at UM that get a full tuition scholarship for one year. When I was in law school, the UM Law Review had 7 service scholarships. Moot Court Board had 4. We divided them up whenever we could, if a person already had a partial academic scholarship. Resident Assistants get their room and board paid for.

But you know what, after that year, you go back to being a regular person who has to pay regular tuition, assuming you don't get another position with a service scholarship.

That's what these walk-on scholarships are. A benefit, but not something that is guaranteed in future years.

Advertisement
It's going to be harder, and wherever we end up at, it will be at least 4 fewer than it could have been if these make-a-wish cases aren't graduated by next spring.

I love ya, man, but you're still wrong on this. We will sign 25-26 recruits (HS, JuCo, and grad transfers) regardless of walk-ons. This isn't the problem you think it is.

IDK if UM's one of the schools, but scholarships are guaranteed at some, or most P5 schools. You can't cut a kid for athletic reasons anymore.

In 2015, the NCAA Division I “Power 5” Schools implemented a rule that has the effect of “protecting” Division I student-athletes from having their athletic scholarship cancelled or not renewed for any athletics reason. Quite simply, a coach cannot take away a scholarship for poor athletic performance.

Here are several facts about this rule:

– This new rule was voted in by the universities of the “Power 5” conferences – the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, PAC-12, and SEC, as well as Notre Dame. This rule must be followed by these 65 universities.
Other Division I schools and conferences can choose to follow this rule, but are not required to do so. So, an athlete receiving an athletic scholarship from a university that is NOT one of the 65 mentioned here might still receive a one-year scholarship which a coach can choose not to renew for the following academic year.

The “protection” provided by this rule only applies to athletes who signed their National Letter of Intent and scholarship agreement after the new rule was approved in January of this year (at the NCAA Convention), will be enrolling in a Division I university as a freshman or new transfer this Fall, AND who will be receiving an athletic scholarship in their first year of enrollment.

– The rule will NOT apply to athletes who are not receiving an athletic scholarship in their first year of enrollment at their university. (Example: a volleyball player not receiving an athletic scholarship in their freshman year, but promised one in the following three years, will not receive the protection of this new rule.)

– It is still possible for universities to cancel or choose to not renew a scholarship for reasons that are NOT related to athletic performance.

Cancellation or non-renewal IS possible if an athlete:

• Is ruled to be ineligible for competition;
  • Provides fraudulent information on an application, letter of intent, or financial aid agreement;
  • Engages in serious misconduct that rises to the level of being disciplined by the university’s regular student disciplinary board;
  • Voluntarily quits their team; or
  • Violates a university policy or rule which is not related to athletic conditions or ability (such as a university policy on class attendance, or an athletic department policy regarding proper conduct on a team trip).

Rule does not apply to walk-ons.

D still stacking them

tenor.gif

Advertisement
First of all, good for them!!

On closer inspection, it does point out a weakness in our recruiting, when you cannot find/select athletes out there that are much better than students walking around on your campus.

Bottom line though is take good ones wherever you find them

Advertisement
First of all, good for them!!

On closer inspection, it does point out a weakness in our recruiting, when you cannot find/select athletes out there that are much better than students walking around on your campus.

Bottom line though is take good ones wherever you find them

Setting aside a handful of bad evals (especially OL), the class size hasn't been the problem. We've come within one or two of our class cap since Richt's first 2016 class. The problem is we have so many transfers and early graduations that we get can never reach our 85 team cap.

So, for example, our Class of 2017 had 23 HS kids and 2 transfers in (Delaney and Dean) for a full class. But 14 are already gone (Delaney, Dean, Feagles, D Smith, Dykstra, Njoku, Weldon, Polendy, Wilder, Garvin, Bandy, J Thomas, Dallas and DJ Johnson). You can't get to 85 kids if your losing well over half your class in 3 years.

I mean, we have only 8 seniors right now, 3 of whom are transfers in. Yes, we have a quality problem. But the bigger problems are attrition and the NCAA refusing to change the 25 class cap rule in an age of transfers.

Setting aside a handful of bad evals (especially OL), the class size hasn't been the problem. We've come within one or two of our class cap since Richt's first 2016 class. The problem is we have so many transfers and early graduations that we get can never reach our 85 team cap.

So, for example, our Class of 2017 had 23 HS kids and 2 transfers in (Delaney and Dean) for a full class. But 14 are already gone (Delaney, Dean, Feagles, D Smith, Dykstra, Njoku, Weldon, Polendy, Wilder, Garvin, Bandy, J Thomas, Dallas and DJ Johnson). You can't get to 85 kids if your losing well over half your class in 3 years.

I mean, we have only 8 seniors right now, 3 of whom are transfers in. Yes, we have a quality problem. But the bigger problems are attrition and the NCAA refusing to change the 25 class cap rule in an age of transfers.

This guy gets it.

Advertisement
Back