5-Star Michel Attends Junior Day

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
5-star RB Sony Michel has been in the recruiting spotlight since his 8th grade year, but he hasn’t gotten tired of the 7-on-7 scene just yet.

“This is really just a fun experience, that’s why I’m out here and that’s just the most important part.”

Michel was able to take in Miami’s victory UNC today at the Bank United Center.

“That was a great experience at Miami because they have an elite basketball team and I liked seeing them get the win. It was a packed game and everyone
wanted to see that big game.”

While Michel shows his face at a good amount of Miami recruiting events, today was a different experience than usual.

“I go to a lot of Miami events, but it’s really just football events. So being at a basketball game like today is great because then I can be with the coaches so that’s a little bit different.”

Somebody that Sony has already hatched a relationship with is new Miami offensive coordinator James Coley.

“He came by the school before and I talked to him when he was at FSU. He’s a real cool dude and somebody you can relate to.”

The talented back says he is still in the early stages of his recruitment.

“I’m still in the process where I’m looking at all my options and deciding if I want to leave or stay home.”

One school that has caught the eye of Michel is UGA.

“I love the running back aspect of Georgia where they let multiple running backs showcase their talents.”

Miami fans have wondered if bringing in another running back such as Dalvin Cook would deter Michel, but he says that is the absolute opposite.

“One of the factors of my decision will be going to a school that has another great running back because I want to be able to compete everyday in practice and know that I’m working.”

Advertisement
5-star RB Sony Michel has been in the recruiting spotlight since his 8th grade year, but he hasn’t gotten tired of the 7-on-7 scene just yet.

“This is really just a fun experience, that’s why I’m out here and that’s just the most important part.”

Michel was able to take in Miami’s victory UNC today at the Bank United Center.

“That was a great experience at Miami because they have an elite basketball team and I liked seeing them get the win. It was a packed game and everyone
wanted to see that big game.”

While Michel shows his face at a good amount of Miami recruiting events, today was a different experience than usual.

“I go to a lot of Miami events, but it’s really just football events. So being at a basketball game like today is great because then I can be with the coaches so that’s a little bit different.”

Somebody that Sony has already hatched a relationship with is new Miami offensive coordinator James Coley.

“He came by the school before and I talked to him when he was at FSU. He’s a real cool dude and somebody you can relate to.”

The talented back says he is still in the early stages of his recruitment.

“I’m still in the process where I’m looking at all my options and deciding if I want to leave or stay home.”

One school that has caught the eye of Michel is UGA.

“I love the running back aspect of Georgia where they let multiple running backs showcase their talents.”

Miami fans have wondered if bringing in another running back such as Dalvin Cook would deter Michel, but he says that is the absolute opposite.

“One of the factors of my decision will be going to a school that has another great running back because I want to be able to compete everyday in practice and know that I’m working.”

225.gif

I wonder if some of these kids are starting to realize that being the feature workhorse back is not as important as saving tread on your tires...

It's great to see basketball carry some weight for football, and it looks like Al is taking full advantage of the ride.

Advertisement
God bless Coach L and the basketball team, we need to milk it as long as possible.

Advertisement
This kid has a great head on his shoulders and is not afraid of competition. Now we can definitely land him and Dalvin because he loves the comp.

Love his attitude. Somebody needs to ask Dalvin the same thing. Then again, what these recruits say/what they do are usually 2 different things.

To get Michel, we're going to have to prove to him that we're still a big-time program that can win big games and produce big-name players. He already has a great relationship with our staff and has for years. He grew up a UM fan. He's already at a private school with no shenanigans (or at least, none that we know of). His head coach is a 'Cane. We have a staff full of elite recruiters. As long as the NCAA sanctions are behind us, we should be in a great position to land him, but it's going to be tough because Sony is going to be a top-5 national recruit and the biggest RB prospect down here in a looooooong time (I think Duke is pretty much the GOAT but in terms of attention). We will be negative recruit against plenty, especially if we hire Lockett, but that seems like it would actually backfire on a kid like Sony. But none of that matters if we have another 7 win season. He will absolutely go elsewhere. We need to play in a BCS bowl, and if we are, that means Duke had a huge season, which would probably be huge for Sony and that means we're in an incredible position to land him. He's a gamechanger...now just win .

Advertisement
To get Michel, we're going to have to prove to him that we're still a big-time program that can win big games and produce big-name players. He already has a great relationship with our staff and has for years. He grew up a UM fan. He's already at a private school with no shenanigans (or at least, none that we know of). His head coach is a 'Cane. We have a staff full of elite recruiters. As long as the NCAA sanctions are behind us, we should be in a great position to land him, but it's going to be tough because Sony is going to be a top-5 national recruit and the biggest RB prospect down here in a looooooong time (I think Duke is pretty much the GOAT but in terms of attention). We will be negative recruit against plenty, especially if we hire Lockett, but that seems like it would actually backfire on a kid like Sony. But none of that matters if we have another 7 win season. He will absolutely go elsewhere. We need to play in a BCS bowl, and if we are, that means Duke had a huge season, which would probably be huge for Sony and that means we're in an incredible position to land him. He's a gamechanger...now just win .

this. winning fixes everything

Advertisement
Sony sounds like a seasoned vet at giving interviews so I wouldn't read too much into his statement. It's a long way to go, but I like our chances.

Cook and Michel both coming to Miami would be a good thing for both kids.....

1 - there would be PLENTY of opportunity to play b/c the depth chart is depleted
2 - the competition would keep each guy on their toes, ala Portis, McGahee, etc
3 - by splitting carries, they would each be able to showcase their talents while saving their bodies, which is critical these days.....and it doesn't hurt draft status, just look at Ingram, Richardson, Lacy at Bama.

Sony and Cook have mentioned multiple times that they are not afraid of competition. Lets hope it stays that way. We just need to have a big season and take it to next level

Not be dismissive of the other RBs, but It's silly to hear about competition because these kids will only play with Duke for only 2 years max. The kid seems To have a Cane mentality based on what I've read, but long way til signing day. Would be nice if one of them just committed now and became the rock of next years recruiting class.

Advertisement
Back