2024 5* DL Justin Scott visiting this weekend [commits to OSU then flips to Miami!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spongebob Squarepants I Give Up GIF

Advertisement
Exactly. The highest-paid coaches in the country who've already made CFB playoff appearances are recruiting QB's in a different stratosphere than our $80 million coach, which is bad enough if you look at it in a vacuum but is so much worse for anyone who saw the bigger picture all along. Coming off a 5-7 season where we trotted out a prehistoric offense and landed a really good class that lacked a premier QB, following that up by only landing another unheralded QB failed to move the needle at all at a time when we desperately needed a recruiting boost much more than many realized or were willing to admit.

- Kirby landed the #1 overall recruit and QB in Dylan Raiola this year.
- Saban has 5* QB Julian Sayin committed this year after landing a Top 100 overall recruit at the position last year in Eli Holstein.
- Day stuffed Mario in a locker for Air Noland in the spring.
[BGCOLOR=initial]- Riley landed 5* QB Malachi Nelson in last year's class as the eventual successor to Caleb Williams.[/BGCOLOR]
- Dabo landed a Top 100 overall QB in high 4* Christopher Vizzina last year.

Of course this doesn't just impact WR recruiting, but what are our chances of flipping Jeremiah Smith from OSU if all we have to sell to him is a pitch of "we'll grab a mystery QB from the portal, so don't worry" and Judd Anderson? There seems to be split opinions regarding our chances with 5* WR Ryan Wingo come December, but we're competing against a pair of big money programs in UGA (Beck, Vandagriff, Raiola) and Texas (Murphy and Manning) with loaded QB rooms. Good luck there.

Maybe now some who've buried their heads in the sand will look outside of the Miami bubble and realize that landing mid 3* QB's in back-to-back cycles is not how any serious program recruits the most important position in the sport, which should have been a massive warning sign all along. If we weren't willing to "overspend," as some put it, for Nico Iamaleava last year (we reportedly came in 2nd) or Air Noland this year (we reportedly came in 2nd), why were some presenting a narrative that we'd land the best DL class in the country across the board knowing full well those bidding wars are no less competitive than the ones for premier QB's?
Those teams are getting elite prospects at every position. That’s what the top looks like.

The QB position will have more elite busts than any other position, and will produce more low-ranked superstars. That has been established over and over.

I hope we get to the point where we get elite prospects at every position. First step is closing on some elite DL, which we haven’t been doing. That is the position that separates the haves from the have nots in college football, and separates the SEC from the ACC (which has had the best QBs the past few years).

I'm hearing we still have top 10 $$$. I guess we'll see. Cribby said yesterday we're not elite but in the 2nd tier & someone else I trust said the same. Guess we'll see.
UM doesn’t have the luxury of normal players market, they have to overpay for our crappy past and current questionable CORCHing Staph.

If didn’t happen then Air Norland should have been offered 1 million dollars to commit here. A high level QB will attract high level WRs

Advertisement
Do you believe we have the financial resources to go after the top tier player or have our booster/NIL folks gotten cold feet after the 5-7 season
I only know what I’ve been told. Based on that I’m guessing at things. IMO, we’re either not high enough, commensurate with the market or we’re being used as leverage and matched in dollars by the favored schools.

We’re not broke. We’re offering money. My suspicions on our money not being high enough is based on the gator. Last year with NIL we cleaned Billy’s clock. This year it’s the opposite and it’s not like they had a good season or showed a good offense. Mario hasn’t all of a sudden become an inferior recruiter. It has to be the money.

A defensive tackle commit from Chicago has absolutely nothing to do with a QB commit from Georgia. This is a stretch.

Ohio State is beating us for DL because they win double-digit games every year and send defensive linemen to the first round.
Gr15 and Phillips?! Cmon @DMoney thats a lame excuse canes have put out 2 1st rd picks and arguable 2 of the best young DL in the nfl

Advertisement
I only know what I’ve been told. Based on that I’m guessing at things. IMO, we’re either not high enough, commensurate with the market or we’re being used as leverage and matched in dollars by the favored schools.

We’re not broke. We’re offering money. My suspicions on our money not being high enough is based on the gator. Last year with NIL we cleaned Billy’s clock. This year it’s the opposite and it’s not like they had a good season or showed a good offense. Mario hasn’t all of a sudden become an inferior recruiter. It has to be the money.
I’ve heard a lot of this is on Dennis smith (shocker) he wants to match other schools instead of go above… not gonna beat a powerhouse with recent success with the same offer. Pay a little more and land your guys. Dude isn’t just stubborn he’s cringe and annoying. MASSIVE PROBLEM we need him gone asap

A defensive tackle commit from Chicago has absolutely nothing to do with a QB commit from Georgia. This is a stretch.

Ohio State is beating us for DL because they win double-digit games every year and send defensive linemen to the first round.
Agreed but recently, Larry Johnson hasn’t developed his recruits into the studs they were coming out of high school. He lucked into the Bosa family and of course Chase Young, but since then it’s been doing less with more as a developer.

2021 Draft
Tommy Togai (Rd. 4, Pick 132)
Johnathan Cooper (Rd. 7, Pick 239)

2022 Draft
Tyreke Smith (Rd. 5, Pick 158)

2023 Draft
Zach Harrison (Rd. 3, Pick 75)

That’s all. Now recruiting-wise, he’s loaded up. He’s 71 now and their D-line has been pushed around and soft af by every offense with a pulse. Even Mario.

2020 Commits
Darrion Harrison-Young (#154 Nationally)
Jacolbe Owen (#163 nationally)
Ty Hamilton (#762 nationally)

2021 commits
J.T. Tuimoloau (#2 DL, 4 nationally)
Jack Sawyer (#3 DL, #7 nationally)
Michael Hall Jr. (#10 DL, #53 nationally)
Tyleik Williams (#25 DL, #166 nationally)

2022 commits
Kenyatta Jackson (#5 edge, #60 nationally)
Omari Abor (#6 edge, #63 nationally)
Caden Curry (#13 edge, #123 nationally)
Hero Kanu (#19 DL, #129 nationally)

2023 commits
Jason Moore (#8 DL, #63 nationally)
Joshua Mickens (#17 Edge, #119 nationally)
Will Smith (#31 DL, #244 nationally)
Kayden McDonald (35 DL, #260 nationally)
Malone also transferred in

Those teams are getting elite prospects at every position. That’s what the top looks like.

The QB position will have more elite busts than any other position, and will produce more low-ranked superstars. That has been established over and over.

I hope we get to the point where we get elite prospects at every position. First step is closing on some elite DL, which we haven’t been doing. That is the position that separates the haves from the have nots in college football, and separates the SEC from the ACC (which has had the best QBs the past few years).

Yes they are. And wasn't the top of recruiting below the UGA/Alabama/OSU tier where we were expected to be on an annual basis when Mario was paid $80 million to come home? Last year's class was very strong, of course, despite the disastrous season.

But the concerns some of us have been raising for weeks in certain areas like QB recruiting, having only 1 top 100 player/2 top 300 players among 14 commits, and already having 11 3* commits had been largely dismissed or ridiculed because of apparent hubris being relayed from the staff about evals and the fact that our top DL targets hadn't started announcing yet. That's where most of the NIL money was to be allocated and that's the predominant focus of the class. But now Scott chose OSU. It sounds like Stewart is trending away towards OSU as well. There's smoke linking Breland with Oregon. There seems to be positive signs with Franklin, which is encouraging, but landing a few blue-chip pieces along the DL below the Scott/Stone/Stewart tier is nowhere near what was being presented as the staff's ultimate goal.

If we're not going to "overspend" for certain players at other positions as some (not you) have been putting it but we're not spending enough to land the elite DL at the top of our board either, then what exactly is the plan here with this class? Stacking premier class after premier class was always Mario's ticket to long-term success here. If he can't do that on top of the known QB/WR reputation he's earned and the QB room that's being constructed, then he'll need to do something he's never done before and that's do more with less.

Gr15 and Phillips?! Cmon @DMoney thats a lame excuse canes have put out 2 1st rd picks and arguable 2 of the best young DL in the nfl
You listed two guys who played 2 1/2 years here combined. That’s our big flex. Two guys. .. Just an average year at UGA, Bama, Ohio State.

Larry Johnson might be considered best non-coordinator in college football. Joe Salavawhatever is not… Mid-west kid. OSU stays winning. We do not.

Do the math.

Losing this kid to OSU isn’t frustrating. Miami running their mouth after 5-7 then whiffing left & right is..

Advertisement
Yes they are. And wasn't the top of recruiting below the UGA/Alabama/OSU tier where we were expected to be on an annual basis when Mario was paid $80 million to come home? Last year's class was very strong, of course, despite the disastrous season.

But the concerns some of us have been raising for weeks in certain areas like QB recruiting, having 1 Top 100 player among 14 commits, and the 3* rich nature of the current class had been largely dismissed or ridiculed because our top DL targets hadn't started announcing yet. That's where most of the NIL money was allegedly being allocated and that was the predominant focus. But now Scott chose OSU. It sounds like Stewart, who's at the very top of our board, is trending away towards OSU as well. There's smoke linking Breland with Oregon. There seems to be positive signs with Franklin, which is encouraging, but landing a few blue-chip pieces along the DL below the Scott/Stone/Stewart tier is nowhere near what was being presented as the staff's ultimate goal.

If we're not going to "overspend" for certain players at other positions as some (not you) have been putting it but we're not spending enough to land the elite DL at the top of our board either, then what exactly is the plan here with this class? Stacking premier class after premier class was always Mario's ticket to long-term success here. If he can't do that on top of the known QB/WR reputation he's earned and the QB room that's being constructed, then he'll need to do something he's never done before and that's do more with less.
It is fair to have concerns about Cristobal. We lost to Middle Tennessee.

IMO, holding serve means landing another Top 10 class. The goal is Top 5 class and best DL class in the country but I think the season tanked some of those aspirations. Top 10 with five or six Top 100 players is attainable with a good year.

You listed two guys who played 2 1/2 years here combined. That’s our big flex. Two guys. .. Just an average year at UGA, Bama, Ohio State.

Larry Johnson might be considered best non-coordinator in college football. Joe Salavawhatever is not… It’s a local mid-west kid. OSU stays winning. Do the Math.

Losing this kid to OSU isn’t frustrating. Miami running their mouth after 5-7 then whiffing left & right is..
See 2 posts above yours. Larry Johnson hasn’t done much lately and has had some big names you could say they underperformed expectations. Also google Jason Taylor. Now add to it everyone saying he may be the best hire and crowning him best recruiter…

IMO, holding serve means landing another Top 10 class. The goal is Top 5 class and best DL class in the country but I think the season tanked some of those aspirations. Top 10 with five or six Top 100 players is attainable with a good year.
comedy central propaganda GIF by Workaholics

Advertisement
See 2 posts above yours. Larry Johnson hasn’t done much lately and has had some big names you could say they underperformed expectations. Also google Jason Taylor. Now add to it everyone saying he may be the best hire and crowning him best recruiter…
My understanding is this kid is interior. If I’m wrong, I’ll take some of that back. JT still has zero years experience vs LJ stupid impressive resume.

Performance has lots of factors. Could it be a pattern? Sure. Does he get benefit of doubt? Rightfully so.

Yea but the season ended in last November, and all offseason people were still hyping an elite class. We knew were we Terrible last month and was still expecting elite ****. Nothing changed except apparently we don't have any money like last year

Larry Johnson might be considered best non-coordinator in college football. Joe Salavawhatever is not… Mid-west kid. OSU stays winning. We do not.

Do the math.

As a recruiter, sure.

Not as a coach recently. Chase Young was three years ago and he’s got nothing to show for it since in terms of production on the field. His units have been embarrassed by competent offenses the last three seasons and ridiculed by his own fanbase for being soft. Mario owned him, Harbaugh owned him, Kirby owned him.

Nothing against the guy, he’s a legend. But Father Time is catching up (he’s 71) and the production on the field is decreasing. Maybe we’re too moral to negatively recruit under Mario but there’s evidence to use against him, god knows everyone is doing it to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back