2024 5* DL Justin Scott visiting this weekend [commits to OSU then flips to Miami!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't care too much that the early class was filled with threes, as it was always the DL that would determine the class. That's the standard the staff set, that was/is the objective.

Scott isn't the best of the DL players or even the best DT. But that's not even the point. Any of these players is an upgrade for out top end, and depth.

And the staff has whiffed on all of them.

Given that DLs pick up frequent smaller injuries that result in missing a half, or one game, we can't simply ignore the position and wait for the portal.

Jason Taylor is the best recruiter ever. Why don't we put Patrick Surtain and Earl Little on the staff next?

Prepare for a WAVE of Golden specials.

Jaguar-01-01.jpg

Advertisement
It is fair to have concerns about Cristobal. We lost to Middle Tennessee.

IMO, holding serve means landing another Top 10 class. The goal is Top 5 class and best DL class in the country but I think the season tanked some of those aspirations. Top 10 with five or six Top 100 players is attainable with a good year.
I hope we can hold serve. One concern is even if we have a good season, by the time it ends most guys will be committed and locked in elsewhere. Ive been hoping for top 10 but with how things are going not feeling confident. Loss after loss just not sure we do it. That said we better figure something out we really do need to stack top 10 classes to be where the team were hoping for in the future

A defensive tackle commit from Chicago has absolutely nothing to do with a QB commit from Georgia. This is a stretch.

Ohio State is beating us for DL because they win double-digit games every year and send defensive linemen to the first round.
If we know this is the case why are we being COMPETITIVE with our offers and not well above these 10 win schools? That’s where the money was supposed to be right ?

As a recruiter, sure. Not as a coach recently. Chase Young was three years ago and he’s got nothing to show for it since in terms of production on the field.

Nothing against the guy, he’s a legend. But Father Time is catching up (he’s 71) and production is decreasing.
No argument there. Plausible. I’ll say we can’t go by fanbases opinions though. Skewed at best. Some are saying the same thing about Saban right now just bc they're spoiled, entitled children.

Even on the backside.. local school, much better program.. and playing under this resume: 15 all-Americans. 16 conference/national lineman of the year. 9 1st rd draft picks. Heisman finalist. Etc vs Miami’s situation, distance & Joe as the opposing coach..

Last edited:
Advertisement
It is fair to have concerns about Cristobal. We lost to Middle Tennessee.

IMO, holding serve means landing another Top 10 class. The goal is Top 5 class and best DL class in the country but I think the season tanked some of those aspirations. Top 10 with five or six Top 100 players is attainable with a good year.
Unfortunately Mario needs to be in a spot where his recruiting efforts help him on gameday. He can’t be in a position where his game day coaching is needed to help him in recruiting. That has to somehow flip and quickly.

A defensive tackle commit from Chicago has absolutely nothing to do with a QB commit from Georgia. This is a stretch.

Ohio State is beating us for DL because they win double-digit games every year and send defensive linemen to the first round.

I’m not arguing direct causation.

I’m arguing that it doesn’t help momentum, it actually hurts it.

And QB is usually the first major piece to fall.

And you can’t come out of the gate crippling yourself. And that’s what 3* projects are on the recruiting trail in the spring. It’s running the first stage of the race with one leg broken.

He needs to adapt..
We haven’t gotten a clear cut answer as to what’s different now than with the end of the 2023 class/portal kids. We know **** well we paid Francis, Samson, Wayne, Riley Williams, Fletcher, etc. (in varying amounts). We absolutely know we dropped a bag on Cohen and Lee.

Most of those 2023 kids did not de-commit when **** hit the fan during the season. The portal guys still came. So what’s the excuse with the 2024 kids? There hasn’t been a game played in between December and now. We’ve tremendously improved the roster and coaching staff (on paper).

We have essentially immediate playing time to sell. We took 1 DL last cycle. Mario has a proven track record recruiting at various stops and put Thibadoux in the league recently. We’re running out of reasons why they’re not coming unless it’s the money drying up. We’ll see what happens the rest of the month.

Good news is it really can’t get much worse than the position we’re in right now. Maybe we take a page out of UF’s book and overpay because what’s the worst thing that happens, they de-commit if we lose games? They weren’t going to come anyways if that was the case. Might as well do anything remotely possible to initiate momentum before the most important season in the last 20 years begins.

Advertisement
We haven’t gotten a clear cut answer as to what’s different now than with the end of the 2023 class/portal kids. We know **** well we paid Francis, Samson, Wayne, Riley Williams, Fletcher, etc. (in varying amounts). We absolutely know we dropped a bag on Cohen and Lee.

Most of those 2023 kids did not de-commit when **** hit the fan during the season. The portal guys still came. So what’s the excuse with the 2024 kids?

We have essentially immediate playing time to sell. We took 1 DL last cycle. Mario has a proven track record recruiting at various stops and put Thibadoux in the league recently. We’re running out of reasons why they’re not coming unless it’s the money drying up. We’ll see.

Maybe it was bags that helped Mario the whole time….

Best hope is that we have an FSU type of rebound. Norvell was able to salvage his class towards the end because of the type of year they had, that should be the goal

Sucks right now, but it'd be foolish to think Mario just lost his ability to recruit. He just took a guy from Bama three weeks ago

Gonna be biblical if Stewart pulls trigger for them too. Ya’ll wont see me til TAMU wk.
This is clearly the move for mental health because we're getting smoked. Gotta stay out of recruiting for a while and pull up to the A&M game with the hope of turning this thing around. I think we'll know all we need to know about how our next few seasons will go.

If the A&M game doesn't go well...it's flashbacks

1688393955709.png

I’ve heard a lot of this is on Dennis smith (shocker) he wants to match other schools instead of go above… not gonna beat a powerhouse with recent success with the same offer. Pay a little more and land your guys. Dude isn’t just stubborn he’s cringe and annoying. MASSIVE PROBLEM we need him gone asap
I don’t care about him. He’s like some kind of Flava Flav to Mario’s Chuck D. The forecasted success of this class has been predicated on loading up on DL at the highest levels. We’re in serious trouble.

Advertisement
Best hope is that we have an FSU type of rebound. Norvell was able to salvage his class towards the end because of the type of year they had, that should be the goal

Sucks right now, but it'd be foolish to think Mario just lost his ability to recruit. He just took a guy from Bama three weeks ago

Would it be equally foolish to think he learned how to coach?

Inquiring minds want to know..

So we'll land top 10-15 classes from here out. Should have went with an X's & O's guy if that was the case. I'd be thrilled with top 10-15 classes winning 9-10 games a year & being a respectable top 25 team. Thrilled.
I agree on that if we can’t buy the talent, we would’ve been better off with an X’s and O’s guy who can identify 3 stars and develop them. Mario without recruiting is like “cornflakes without the milk”.

That kid did not have the green light to commit to bama. We need to be honest with ourselves and the actual state of the ‘24 class.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Most of those 2023 kids did not de-commit when **** hit the fan during the season. The portal guys still came. So what’s the excuse with the 2024 kids? There hasn’t been a game played in between December and now. We’ve tremendously improved the roster and coaching staff (on paper).

We have essentially immediate playing time to sell. We took 1 DL last cycle. Mario has a proven track record recruiting at various stops and put Thibadoux in the league recently. We’re running out of reasons why they’re not coming unless it’s the money drying up. We’ll see what happens the rest of the month.

Good news is it really can’t get much worse than the position we’re in right now. Maybe we take a page out of UF’s book and overpay because what’s the worst thing that happens, they de-commit if we lose games? They weren’t going to come anyways if that was the case. Might as well do anything remotely possible to initiate momentum before the most important season in the last 20 years begins.
Difference is you got some elite guys in the boat last year before the season and you could sell those guys on it just being year 1 and needing your guys. Don’t got that same leeway going this offseason

I don’t care about him. He’s like some kind of Flava Flav to Mario’s Chuck D. The forecasted success of this class has been predicated on loading up on DL at the highest levels. We’re in serious trouble.
Probably should care about him when he’s the guy running point on the $ numbers and at best wants to match when it’s obvious we’ll have to go a little higher to beat some of the top programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back