2024 5* DL Justin Scott visiting this weekend [commits to OSU then flips to Miami!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can tell he's either trolling or just misinformed.
its not trolling bc he has a different opinion
mario missed out on multiple high end local WC last year
failed to sign any DT of note

i dont agree with wario and I think mario is an elite recruiter
but wario is entitled to his opinion and thats not trolling

its odd bc if someone is a constant super homer regardless of obvious facts, they arent called a troll
but if someone has a negative opinion thats trolling

Advertisement
its not trolling bc he has a different opinion
mario missed out on multiple high end local WC last year
failed to sign any DT of note

i dont agree with wario and I think mario is an elite recruiter
but wario is entitled to his opinion and thats not trolling

its odd bc if someone is a constant super homer regardless of obvious facts, they arent called a troll
but if someone has a negative opinion thats trolling
I don't disagree that everything is not all positive but for someone to repeatedly suggest that the only high rated players in last year's class were in the OL can absolutely seem like trolling.

I honestly think this is a temporary problem. He has no problem attracting RBs and TEs. So it's not skill positions, and we're closing recruits at every other position as well. It's isolated to the QB/WR combo because of Gattass. Dawson/TVD/WRs is going to be critical this season. But if they take care of business, we should be fine going forward.

Yeah, I clarified my post and said it was WR/QB focused. It's isolated to those positions bc of Gattis AND because of Mario's bad rap. But agree - this year is yuuge for Mario b/c it's a great chance for him to prove people wrong especially b/c he has a vet at QB. After this year, it's up in the air, imo, because he needs to find a tier 1 QB.

Weird take, 2 of our 13 top 247 players were OL… 2 of them were WRs

You can tell he's either trolling or just misinformed.
Compliments of @No_Fly_Zone

Mario is definitely an elite recruiter in the relative sense. In 12 years he’s 67-67 and really has never seen much actual success as a head coach (compared to the powerhouse programs and recruiters I mean), but he still reels in top flight talent

So in that sense I think he recruits above what his “expected” recruiting ranking should be

Last edited:
Advertisement
Mario is definitely an elite recruiter in the relative sense. In 12 years he’s 67-67 and really has never seen much actual success as a head coach, but he still reels in top flight talent

So in that sense I think he recruits above what his “expected” recruiting ranking should be
I agree with your general point that his recruiting is a better asset than his on field coaching but you don’t consider his time at Oregon actual success?

Mario is definitely an elite recruiter in the relative sense. In 12 years he’s 67-67 and really has never seen much actual success as a head coach, but he still reels in top flight talent

He’s won 2 conference championships and took over an FIU team that won like 1 game in the 3 years prior. I don’t know why our own fans even act like his overall record has any relevancy

He’s won 2 conference championships and took over an FIU team that won like 1 game in the 3 years prior. I don’t know why our own fans even act like his overall record has any relevancy
Eh you’re making it more than what I meant

I’m saying we talk about elite recruiters that are winning championships or competing every season

Relatively speaking Mario hasn’t won much compared to them especially sustained success

It was actually meant to be a compliment. I really don’t think we need to go over Mario’s resume for the billionth time

I agree with your general point that his recruiting is a better asset than his on field coaching but you don’t consider his time at Oregon actual success?
Oh I definitely think it was successful

Maybe I should reword that because that’s not how I meant it. I just mean compare him to these powerhouse schools that he’s held his own, and even beaten on the trail. That’s all.

Advertisement
Because no one we’re competing against is a Miami fan.

Miami fans love to tell people what isn’t relevant to themselves, as if it’s not relevant to anyone else. That is a mistake.

In the ten seconds it took you to explain why the stat “isn’t relevant” (presumably because it doesn’t include the mitigating factors you brought up), it took half a second to say “67-67” to a recruit and for them to easily digest it.

You will listen to every argument why Mario is better than his record, because you are a Miami fan. No one we are recruiting or recruiting against has those priors.

67-67 is extremely relevant.

Miami fans love to tell people what isn’t relevant to themselves, as if it’s not relevant to anyone else. That is a mistake.

In the ten seconds it took you to explain why the stat “isn’t relevant” (presumably because it doesn’t include the mitigating factors you brought up), it took half a second to say “67-67” and a recruit to easily digest it.

You will listen to every argument why Mario is better than his record, because you are a Miami fan. No one we are recruiting or recruiting against has those priors.

Well said, friend.

Anyway, didn’t mean to open this can of worms. Mario had some good years at Oregon and was rewarded with his contract here.

He’s recruiting against a lot of coaches that are at programs that have been powerhouses and are made up of staffs that recruit like savages and have extensive resumes to back it up.

Mario doesn’t have that just yet (though he’s had a couple good seasons) so the fact that he still consistently beats these guys for recruits I think speaks volumes to just how good he is. The more he sustains winning, the easier it will get.

But that’s just like, my opinion, man

Well said, friend.

Anyway, didn’t mean to open this can of worms. Mario had some good years at Oregon and was rewarded with his contract here.

He’s recruiting against a lot of coaches that are at programs that have been powerhouses and are made up of staffs that recruit like savages and have extensive resumes to back it up.

Mario doesn’t have that just yet (though he’s had a couple good seasons) so the fact that he still consistently beats these guys for recruits I think speaks volumes to just how good he is. The more he sustains winning, the easier it will get.

But that’s just like, my opinion, man
Mario’s results with the last class are even more impressive, considering his record on the field.

Look at me, I’m defending Mario. Take pictures while you can.

Mario’s results with the last class are even more impressive, considering his record on the field.

Yeah honestly the fact that he basically hung on to every recruit we got over the summer despite the worst season I’ve ever seen basically sums it up for me

Advertisement

In the ten seconds it took you to explain why the stat “isn’t relevant” (presumably because it doesn’t include the mitigating factors you brought up), it took half a second to say “67-67” to a recruit and for them to easily digest it.

Yeah it is relevant whether we as fans want to believe it or not. The issue with his stint at FIU was he no doubt took a **** team, legit was regularly in the bottom ten of FBS for yearsssss and his first year goes 1-11, that is bad on any level. Yes he needs his guys, his coaches etc. so then he proceeds to start building 5-7, followed by 3-9 then 7-6, win their division and a bowl game. I think that is a reasonable trajectory, by your 3-4th year you win your division and a bowl. Following year improved again to 8-5, but then the wheels fall off and he is back to 3-9. That last record is an issue, you should continue to build.

And I am aware of the reasons, FIU was broke, diddnt give him the facilities he needed, couldnt pay assistants whatever it does not change the fact that objectively on its face it is a net negative not a positive. Then at Oregon 9-4, 12-2, 4-3, and 10-3, Those are much better and are where we need to be at minimum each year.

ice caps wow GIF by Roanoke College

Whelp I apologize to the board for unintentionally turning this in to yet another Mario resume’ thread

I thought what I was saying was pretty straightforward. Mario punches above his weight class in recruiting.

Advertisement
Yeah it is relevant whether we as fans want to believe it or not. The issue with his stint at FIU was he no doubt took a **** team, legit was regularly in the bottom ten of FBS for yearsssss and his first year goes 1-11, that is bad on any level. Yes he needs his guys, his coaches etc. so then he proceeds to start building 5-7, followed by 3-9 then 7-6, win their division and a bowl game. I think that is a reasonable trajectory, by your 3-4th year you win your division and a bowl. Following year improved again to 8-5, but then the wheels fall off and he is back to 3-9. That last record is an issue, you should continue to build.

And I am aware of the reasons, FIU was broke, diddnt give him the facilities he needed, couldnt pay assistants whatever it does not change the fact that objectively on its face it is a net negative not a positive. Then at Oregon 9-4, 12-2, 4-3, and 10-3, Those are much better and are where we need to be at minimum each year.
Well put.

I’m not saying the qualifier of FIU is not accurate or important to proper evaluation. I am saying that there are many things that are inaccurate and unimportant and yet are still relevant to someone.

I don’t believe ALL Miami fans should be lumped into one perspective. Some have a realistic outlook on the overall state of the program past and present.

Past failure, or success, won’t necessarily translate to the future. Many variables contribute to either. Taking one metric and hanging a hat on it is very narrow minded. One thing is certain. No matter what obstacles Mario faces - some inherited; some self-inflicted - he is an elite recruiter. If he can show improvement on the field, the skies the limit on his talent acquisition.

“2 conference championships in 3 years” takes less than 10 seconds as well

“Rose bowl win”

“From no wins to bowl eligible”

I do understand the stigma, but to say he has done nothing coaching wise simply isn’t true

Well put.

I’m not saying the qualifier of FIU is not accurate or important to proper evaluation. I am saying that there are many things that are inaccurate and unimportant and yet are still relevant to someone.
I bet a recruit somewhere crossed UF off the list or at minimum had a second thought when the news broke that Jim McElwain was allegedly naked on top of sharks..... both inaccurate and unimportant to football, but would be relevant to me lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back