2024 5* DL Justin Scott visiting this weekend [commits to OSU then flips to Miami!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So when Mario wins game one of the season this year you're going to brag about him being undefeated and being 1-0?

No you're not. Because you're going to look at his history and project out the rest of the season and adjust your expectations based on that.

Do the same thing with recruiting.

As with certain posters when things go well they’re nowhere to be found, but miss on a prospect or lose a game and they’re the first to post telling you “I told you so..”

If they can do it so much better why aren’t they coaching in college or the pros?

Advertisement
So when Mario wins game one of the season this year you're going to brag about him being undefeated and being 1-0?

No you're not. Because you're going to look at his history and project out the rest of the season and adjust your expectations based on that.

Do the same thing with recruiting.

I will do the same with recruiting.

I'm not going to look at Cristobals history and project out the season at 1-0. That's dumb. Each season is different. And if you want an honest assessment, his track record is that he's established himself as a terrible game day coach so unless he has a massive talent advantage, no game is going to be projected as a likely win (and even then it's doubtful).

Each recruiting cycle is also different. Last year Cristobal was brand new to the program, recruits were generally excited (except for QBs and WRs that didn't think much of his offenses at Oregon). This cycle he has to overcome the stigma of the worst season in almost two decades. He had a historically bad offense. WRs are looking at the QB situation and know TVD will he be gone. People are hoping that we can get a top transfer QB. Well, Cristobals track record for transfer QBs is not great.

Meanwhile, a rival up the road annihilated us on national TV, won 10 games, and is being mentioned as a dark horse playoff contender. Most analysts and fans are expecting UM to finish 7-5 or 8-4 if we catch a few breaks. That would be embarrassing for year 2. Can he still land 5 stars in that environment? I hope so. However, at the moment the answer is no. When that changes we can discuss changing expectations.

African American Reaction GIF

I'm not going to look at Cristobals history and project out the season at 1-0. That's dumb. Each season is different. And if you want an honest assessment, his track record is that he's established himself as a terrible game day coach so unless he has a massive talent advantage, no game is going to be projected as a likely win (and even then it's doubtful).

Each recruiting cycle is also different. Last year Cristobal was brand new to the program, recruits were generally excited (except for QBs and WRs that didn't think much of his offenses at Oregon). This cycle he has to overcome the stigma of the worst season in almost two decades. He had a historically bad offense. WRs are looking at the QB situation and know TVD will he be gone. People are hoping that we can get a top transfer QB. Well, Cristobals track record for transfer QBs is not great.

Meanwhile, a rival up the road annihilated us on national TV, won 10 games, and is being mentioned as a dark horse playoff contender. Most analysts and fans are expecting UM to finish 7-5 or 8-4 if we catch a few breaks. That would be embarrassing for year 2. Can he still land 5 stars in that environment? I hope so. However, at the moment the answer is no. When that changes we can discuss changing expectations.

He landed 2 5* in a 5-7 environment last year, in arguably the ugliest season/environment I have seen from the Canes in 20 years (as you pointed out). This is an ignorant take in June.

As with certain posters when things go well they’re nowhere to be found, but miss on a prospect or lose a game and they’re the first to post telling you “I told you so..”

If they can do it so much better why aren’t they coaching in college or the pros?
You've never criticized a college/professional athlete or coach?

Meanwhile, a rival up the road annihilated us on national TV, won 10 games, and is being mentioned as a dark horse playoff contender. Most analysts and fans are expecting UM to finish 7-5 or 8-4 if we catch a few breaks. Can he still land 5 stars in that environment? I hope so. However, at the moment the answer is no. When that changes we can discuss changing expectations.

what exactly makes you think he can't land a 5*? he landed a commitment from Cormani in the middle of the disaster season and Samson AFTER the season... and held on to Mauigoa the whole time...

i agree with you about his coaching.. just saying to apply the same standards to both coaching and recruiting...

it's very fair to question his: hiring, gameday coaching/strategy/timeouts, personnel decisions, even portal recruiting strategy..

there's really no basis for questioning his recruiting.. i'll be optimistic there just like i'll be pessimistic about his gameday coaching until proven otherwise...

Advertisement

Obviously we don’t see eye-to-eye on Mario, but I don’t think your quips are totally out of control. Some other points you and others make are filled with malice and seem perosnal for whatever reason (maybe its the uber-slurpers that do this), but here, You’re calling it like it is at this point - our class is full of three-stars that aren’t bonafide difference makers on paper, nor are anything to tout about/move the needle. Not many people can argue against this. I actually might go a step further and despite whatever write-ups or points people make, some of these guys are safety stashes that could bounce later in the year.

Now I’m sure you realize this, but it’s the same scenario we found ourselves in last season. I think some posters just get rubbed the wrong way in either direction. Fact of the matter is that we need to let the summer visits occur and re-evaluate in late June/July. If we don’t have some big fish in the boat by August…yeah I’d be concerned. And I’m a guy that leans slurper.

With that said…I think everyone complaining or worrying now is going to be eating cow manure sprinkled in with glass chips 8 weeks from now. This has the makings of a top five class…But only time will tell.

You've never criticized a college/professional athlete or coach?

How can I critique or criticize when that’s not my profession and what I do for a living.

We chat on here ask questions try to come to our own conclusions but without actually doing it for a living how can I reasonably do that?

Once again and I will say when things go well certain posters and I didn’t name names go MIA… but are always waiting for that one thing to go wrong to jump in a thread.

If your going to critique and criticize be prepared to offer praise as well.

what exactly makes you think he can't land a 5*? he landed a commitment from Cormani in the middle of the disaster season and Samson AFTER the season... and held on to Mauigoa the whole time...

i agree with you about his coaching.. just saying to apply the same standards to both coaching and recruiting...

it's very fair to question his: hiring, gameday coaching/strategy/timeouts, personnel decisions, even portal recruiting strategy..

there's really no basis for questioning his recruiting.. i'll be optimistic there just like i'll be pessimistic about his gameday coaching until proven otherwise...

He recruited two 5 stars on the offensive line. Cristobal can absolutely recruit offensive line. I have no doubt of that. I have doubts on whether he can recruit 5 star WRs and QBs. As for DL, few would dispute that Joe Salavea is on the staff for his ability to recruit Polynesian players, not for his DT recruiting acumen. And I think Jason Taylor is amazing at coaching and recruiting. However, I guarantee that other programs are telling recruits that Taylor is likely NFL bound in the near future so they won't actually have the opportunity to learn from him. Is this an egregious lie? No, I don't think it is. I doubt Taylor will still be the UM DL coach 3 years from now because he'll he coaching in the nfl. So that's a big reason I'm waiting to see if we can close the deal on any of these 5 star D linemen.

Advertisement
He recruited two 5 stars on the offensive line. Cristobal can absolutely recruit offensive line. I have no doubt of that. I have doubts on whether he can recruit 5 star WRs and QBs. As for DL, few would dispute that Joe Salavea is on the staff for his ability to recruit Polynesian players, not for his DT recruiting acumen. And I think Jason Taylor is amazing at coaching and recruiting. However, I guarantee that other programs are telling recruits that Taylor is likely NFL bound in the near future so they won't actually have the opportunity to learn from him. Is this an egregious lie? No, I don't think it is. I doubt Taylor will still be the UM DL coach 3 years from now because he'll he coaching in the nfl. So that's a big reason I'm waiting to see if we can close the deal on any of these 5 star D linemen.
Your question was 5* players.. now it is DL specific. Kavon Thibedeoux says hello.. but he probably doesn't get to count for some reason.

Mopes are just closeted slurpers. I see this guy come in on a regular cadence.. get his schtick off on one thread or another, collect his attention points and wait around for his next opportunity.

90% of kids haven't even taken their official visits yet, and haven't even touched the field a single play of their senior season.

Just no reason for this point to be brought up in JUNE.. different story if it's November.

I love how all of our benefits are used against us but other programs never have anyone leaving.

Ever.

lol

And what did you think of that rival coach up the road after his first and second season?? Yiu probably thought he was trash then but now he’s on the cusp of a top 5 Preseason team as a contender for the playoff..i mean based on your logic that’s how it goes..but going by track record youd notice most new coaches culture and impact takes hold year 2 and on..last year was disastrous from every aspect including injury luck..everyone understands that..and i highly doubt that will happen again..why? Because of track record & the swift and decisive changes made

Lol…3/5 of Oregon’s highest rated recruits all time were recruited by Mario and guess what…none of them OL. All 3 on defense. Also in his last full season at Oregon he had the #3 and #7 rated WRs committed.

Just say you want him to win more games or coach better or pick a better staff but out of all things to criticize him on recruiting ain’t one.

Advertisement
I love how all of our benefits are used against us but other programs never have anyone leaving.

Ever.

lol

[BGCOLOR=initial]I think a lot of coaches are [/BGCOLOR][BGCOLOR=initial]interchangeable. One good one can be replaced by another good one. There are a few coaches where that isn't the case. 5 star DBs want to play for Deion Sanders because they think he's going to teach them how to be elite an DB. The 5 star DL recruits want to get coached by Jason Taylor. So if we were talking about the RB or WR coach leaving, I don't think it would matter all that much to recruiting. IMO it's a different story with Taylor. [/BGCOLOR]

Lol…3/5 of Oregon’s highest rated recruits all time were recruited by Mario and guess what…none of them OL. All 3 on defense. Also in his last full season at Oregon he had the #3 and #7 rated WRs committed.

Just say you want him to win more games or coach better or pick a better staff but out of all things to criticize him on recruiting ain’t one.

Wow - Did Phil Knight follow Cristobal to UM? I must have missed the press release. He's been a great recruiter at Alabama and Oregon. Cristobal has had one good year of recruiting OL at UM. I'm not going to assume he can recruit UM the same way he recruited Bama and Oregon until he shows he can- that takes more than one class. If he lands a top 7 class again, then he will have demonstrated he can recruit elite players at positions other than OL TO UM consistently.

Wow - Did Phil Knight follow Cristobal to UM? I must have missed the press release. He's been a great recruiter at Alabama and Oregon. Cristobal has had one good year of recruiting OL at UM. I'm not going to assume he can recruit UM the same way he recruited Bama and Oregon until he shows he can- that takes more than one class. If he lands a top 7 class again, then he will have demonstrated he can recruit elite players at positions other than OL TO UM consistently.
He didn’t just recruit OL well last year. He did a **** good job across the board except for QB and outside WR.

Advertisement
So he needs to follow up his 1st class with a top 7 2nd class yet we are currently in early June of his 2nd class…hmm ok

Ahhhhhh the Phil Knight was dropping bags story 😂 2013-2017 Oregon classes: 19 21 16 27 19 2018-2021: 13 7 12 6.

I guess Mr. Knight found his lost checkbook when Mario was hired? Just remember to bend your knees and lift with your legs and not your back when you keep moving the goal posts

Of course but from an optics and rankings perspective Emory was and is a project.

Not arguing with you at all and you're not wrong, but QB is the one prospect (and OL to a slightly smaller perspective) where I'm not going to obliterate a staff for not signing highly ranked kids.

To me, it's more optics and helps the rest of your class more than anything. But for example I will be 0.0% surprised if Emory winds up a better player than Rashada. I just don't get surprised by the success or lack thereof from QB recruits, it's BY FAR the most impossible position to project.

If Francis Mauigoa is a bust, I will be literally on the floor shocked. I'll have to be helped off the floor. If Arch Manning is, I won't bat an eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back