5 DBs, why didn't we do this more?

DiegoCane

All-ACC
I've somewhat calmed down and doing this all off memory.

Why didn't we have ACrawford on the field more in the 2nd half? We got burnt a lot when Safeties ended up on slot receivers. When we showed this look early (mostly on 3rd downs), Crawford made some nice plays. Yet almost the entire 2nd half we were in our base D

I would have went, DL, Perryman, Grace, 5DBs a lot more then we did. FSU showed they didn't have much interest in the run game.

Also, did you CBs get burnt once in man to man against FSUs WRs?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Cuz we were winning and Alice Glutton is so much smarter than everyone else. All we had to do is bleed out the clock. No need to be aggressive. Worked perfect.

Why didn't we have ACrawford on the field more in the 2nd half? We got burnt a lot when Safeties ended up on slot receivers. When we showed this look early (mostly on 3rd downs), Crawford made some nice plays. Yet almost the entire 2nd half we were in our base D

I would have went, DL, Perryman, Grace, 5DBs a lot more then we did. FSU showed they didn't have much interest in the run game.

Because instead of pushing the envelope with more man underneath coverages and that mentality, we probably thought we were going to stay in our base D and safely ride the wave to victory. I gotta get off this board right now. In a bad place.

That was a classic "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory" display.

Advertisement

Because instead of pushing the envelope with more man underneath coverages and that mentality, we probably thought we were going to stay in our base D and safely ride the wave to victory. I gotta get off this board right now. In a bad place.

Let me vent for you bruh. No need to get an admin banned.

:K9yuNiP:

Thanks man, this pretty much verifies my thoughts. This one will stay with me for a long time.

Thanks man, this pretty much verifies my thoughts. This one will stay with me for a long time.
Golden probably figured it worked against UF, so why not try it again against FSU.

We did get beat on a sorta rub play (not even really a rub, but our CB had to dodge one of our own guys and lost leverage outside) late(rish) in the game. We were in man under and Crawford's man (I think Rudolph, who some of you who follow recruiting now can see why I loved him) came across the formation in motion. That's my issue. Because we get beat on one or two plays, we immediately have shown to overreact. I'm so deeply disappointed. Should have scored at least 38 tonight on that very suspect FSU D.

Advertisement
Frustrating man, we just don't seem to want to adjust when teams spread us out. I honestly don't get it.

I thought all our DBs were solid in what they are asked to do. I honestly don't believe their WRs are matchup problems for our CBs. Dorsett and Coley are more explosive then anything they have over there (maybe Whitfield but he really isn't a WR).

**** I'm ****ed

We did get beat on a sorta rub play (not even really a rub, but our CB had to dodge one of our own guys and lost leverage outside) late(rish) in the game. We were in man under and Crawford's man (I think Rudolph, who some of you who follow recruiting now can see why I loved him) came across the formation in motion. That's my issue. Because we get beat on one or two plays, we immediately have shown to overreact. I'm so deeply disappointed. Should have scored at least 38 tonight on that very suspect FSU D.

Don't remember that specific play. I know you said going into the game that you had heard the staff was going to let the kids loose. We saw a lot of that in the 1st half.

Agree. We should have had 30 at half. We could have put 40+ on them. We are equally or more talented offensively then they are right now, no one will convince me otherwise.

Because your staff might be worse than ours but with an easier schedule. Sucks for you guys that some will take playing an fsu team that never plays well for a full game and a staff that completely cost you this game will somehow make this into a moral victory and earn him another year. He is in over his head at this level of football. No excuse for playing like a ***** in the 2nd half and doing exactly what fsu needed y'all to do -- which was stop doing what they couldn't handle.

Last edited:
Frustrating man, we just don't seem to want to adjust when teams spread us out. I honestly don't get it.

I thought all our DBs were solid in what they are asked to do. I honestly don't believe their WRs are matchup problems for our CBs. Dorsett and Coley are more explosive then anything they have over there (maybe Whitfield but he really isn't a WR).

**** I'm ****ed

I mean, I can't say it was a horribly called game on defense. FSU was going to score their points. It was, yet another, bad philosophy game.

Advertisement

Don't remember that specific play. I know you said going into the game that you had heard the staff was going to let the kids loose. We saw a lot of that in the 1st half.

Agree. We should have had 30 at half. We could have put 40+ on them. We are equally or more talented offensively then they are right now, no one will convince me otherwise.

Was told directly that coaches were going to really be aggressive. Not just because of the results, but I think you saw that in the first part of the game. We had those guys spinning. Stretching them all over the field. The 61 yard TD to Walford was a gorgeous call that must've left FSU guys scratching their heads. We had Dobard, Tucker and Walford (so, 2TEs and a FB) all to one side of the field.

I was nervous as **** at halftime that we'd go into a "scared to win" shell.

**** I'm ****ed

I mean, I can't say it was a horribly called game on defense. FSU was going to score their points. It was, yet another, bad philosophy game.

I can agree with that.

I hate with a passion what we do with our front 4.

Because we needed to blitz more we couldnt get any pressure at all on winston ... Their offensive line absolutely dominated us up front even the blitz all game winston wasnt on target if he was we would of gotten shredded

Advertisement
All in all though as a unit you cant blame the d they played great .... While being put in some terrible situations fluke td by williams just a backbreaker

Was told directly that coaches were going to really be aggressive. Not just because of the results, but I think you saw that in the first part of the game. We had those guys spinning. Stretching them all over the field. The 61 yard TD to Walford was a gorgeous call that must've left FSU guys scratching their heads. We had Dobard, Tucker and Walford (so, 2TEs and a FB) all to one side of the field.

I was nervous as **** at halftime that we'd go into a "scared to win" shell.

The question is, and you would know better then me, where does that order come from? Coley had FSU D on their heels and we went away from a bunch of stuff that was killing them.

IMO - the mentality of the bend don't break defense in the 2nd half was correct - for tonight. We were a couple yards away from scoring 30 points int he first half. We scored 3 in the 2nd half.

The Defense had to expect the Offense was going to score more in the 2nd half to help them out, and they didn't.

We didnt do anything different in the 2nd half that we did in the first half... Except catch some bad breaks and tighten up... We came out throwing in the second half kayaa was way off and a few balls... Then the bug play to stan to answer fsu td he goes and fumbles the ball... We kept running and were gashing them pretty good a few penaltys hurt us also... But as far a style of play not much different each half

Advertisement
Back