40 Times

Advertisement
But does he make plays with that speed? Not trying to start another this player is faster than that player debate, but we've had guys who were fast in the past few years who did not have the kind of impact we had hoped for. It's like we keep searching for the next Santana Moss, but we're only looking at the speed aspect and not the hunger, toughness, and wiggle aspects.

Just drives home how bad I want Kermit in this class. It's been too long since we had a player like him on the roster.

From all accounts, Whitfield is one of those guys with straight-line speed AND lateral quickness AND acceleration. I don't know anything about his hands, route-running, toughness, or instincts, but he's supposedly an elite runner.

I'll take that all day.

CanesAreAble its what remains in question that concerns me - his toughness, hands, route running, and instincts. Those things are hugely important. If they are in question I would pass on him and take the receiver who might not have his elite speed but who has all those other characteristics.

But does he make plays with that speed? Not trying to start another this player is faster than that player debate, but we've had guys who were fast in the past few years who did not have the kind of impact we had hoped for. It's like we keep searching for the next Santana Moss, but we're only looking at the speed aspect and not the hunger, toughness, and wiggle aspects.

Just drives home how bad I want Kermit in this class. It's been too long since we had a player like him on the roster.

From all accounts, Whitfield is one of those guys with straight-line speed AND lateral quickness AND acceleration. I don't know anything about his hands, route-running, toughness, or instincts, but he's supposedly an elite runner.

I'll take that all day.

That's the billion dollar question. In just the very brief time I have seen him the kid screams play maker. I have mentioned it a few times but he is small but not fragile by any means. He plays strong if that makes sense. Makes some tough catches where he fights for the ball.

Again very very brief but his senior season should be closely watched so we will find out.

Grace is a 6' 1" 215 4.5 'backer when he steps foot on campus as a True Frosh.

So, yeah.

So much this.

These guys have only scratched the surface of speed/weight training, and they're still naturally growing.

Those numbers look like "VTech stopwatch" times.

If Grace is overlooked because he's only 200 pounds at the beginning of his HS Senior year, we'll then enjoy watching him as a stud LB for a "middle" Big Ten or Big East team, and ultimately end up a 2nd or 3rd round pick. He's the type of guy Auburn used to rip out of South Florida. Cool stuff.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'd love to have this entire list ESPECIALLY Thomas. Didn't realize Likely has high 4.5 type speed. Thought he was quicker than that. Was it a bad day for him?

I don't think so. Likely is one of those guys that just shows out on the field. That's probably about as fast as Howard, Likely is just a little bit smaller.

That is actually the fastest I have seen him run. He ran a 4.7 at another camp.

I'd love to have this entire list ESPECIALLY Thomas. Didn't realize Likely has high 4.5 type speed. Thought he was quicker than that. Was it a bad day for him?

I don't think so. Likely is one of those guys that just shows out on the field. That's probably about as fast as Howard, Likely is just a little bit smaller.

That is actually the fastest I have seen him run. He ran a 4.7 at another camp.

All I know is.......

he couldn't keep up with the Duke.....

So, yeah.

So much this.

These guys have only scratched the surface of speed/weight training, and they're still naturally growing.

If Grace is overlooked because he's only 200 pounds at the beginning of his HS Senior year, we'll then enjoy watching him as a stud LB for a "middle" Big Ten or Big East team, and ultimately end up a 2nd or 3rd round pick. He's the type of guy Auburn used to rip out of South Florida. Cool stuff.

Lu, 196 is actually pretty shocking to me. He must have put on some weight (maybe at the direction of our staff?)

He looked about 175 last year no joke. It's possible we told him if he puts on weight he has an offer and it looks like he is doing just that, and things are coming together for both parties.

Could be wild speculation on my part but it seems to make sense.

All I know is that when I watched Whitfield's highlight tape after he committed (meaning it was his Sophomore tape), the first and only reaction I had was "this is Roscoe Parrish". The kid straight up flies with the ball in his hands, and pairing a kid like that on the field at the same time as Duke is effing scary. Interchange them out of the backfield and in the slot and make life **** for defenses.

Advertisement
Usually comparisons fall flat and are forced, but Roscoe is a pretty good one IMO.

So, yeah.

So much this.

Lu, 196 is actually pretty shocking to me. He must have put on some weight (maybe at the direction of our staff?)

He looked about 175 last year no joke. It's possible we told him if he puts on weight he has an offer and it looks like he is doing just that, and things are coming together for both parties.

He's apparently a legit 6' 0.5", which is plenty tall enough for the type of player he'll be. If he spends the next 13 months focused on improvement and maximizing, there's no reason he can't be at least 210 before his True Frosh year. If that's the case, he'll be upward of 220 by the time he ever even has to step on the field for any significant purpose.

Hope he's in the class.

TheUnuffSAID said:
What was DP's weight coming in as a freshman? 220 right?

217 Iirc

208 when he first got here according to Golden.

I'll take Grace all day. One of my favorite players in the class.

I watched him play live against Columbus in the Playoffs. Kid was a beast and was all over the field. A little small but he has those instincts that you can't coach.

Sherit is looking more and more appealing. I wonder is he nimble enough to maybe make the switch to LB. Maybe a pass-rushing, Courtney Upshaw type of player.

Advertisement
He struggled in the 7 on 7 games at LB. I think he's a DE all the way. Maybe have him drop back in coverage every once in a while, but he needs to be going after the QB.

So, yeah.

So much this.

He's apparently a legit 6' 0.5", which is plenty tall enough for the type of player he'll be. If he spends the next 13 months focused on improvement and maximizing, there's no reason he can't be at least 210 before his True Frosh year. If that's the case, he'll be upward of 220 by the time he ever even has to step on the field for any significant purpose.

Hope he's in the class.

Absolutely agree. Grace and Thomas would make a lethal LB combo. You try to keep these two and Burns in perspective but its tough not to be excited about them.

As a former safety, what do you think of Burns back there? Sorry if you already weighed in but I'm curious what your trained eye sees.

He struggled in the 7 on 7 games at LB. I think he's a DE all the way. Maybe have him drop back in coverage every once in a while, but he needs to be going after the QB.

I agree but at the same time he said that was the first time he had played LB in his life.

Advertisement
So much this.

Hope he's in the class.

Absolutely agree. Grace and Thomas would make a lethal LB combo. You try to keep these two and Burns in perspective but its tough not to be excited about them.

As a former safety, what do you think of Burns back there? Sorry if you already weighed in but I'm curious what your trained eye sees.

I haven't seen enough of Burns other than to just call him an impressive athlete. Will check him out this year in person, but my understanding is he'll be playing Corner? And, I wouldn't call it a trained eye. ha.

Advertisement
Back