40 Times - Miami vs Combine

Sorry, but you are incorrect. Mike Mayock on the NFL Network has said in many a NFL combines that the the players are intentionally stressed to see how they perform under pressure. They have interviews at odd hours etc. It's designed to put them out of their comfort zone. So, yes some guys don't run well at the combine. Others do better than expected. We see it every year.

I think I trust Mike's expertise over yours. Couldn't find his quote, but here's an article accounting for stress at the combine.

What does interviews have to do with getting out there running? Reaching big-time. I've been at three different combines, not just some tool in the corner of the room. The field drills, that's where they're the most relaxed. Sure, some may get stressed out, be worn down some, but people aren't running faster times on grass at their pro-day.

Advertisement
What does interviews have to do with getting out there running? Reaching big-time. I've been at three different combines, not just some tool in the corner of the room. The field drills, that's where they're the most relaxed. Sure, some may get stressed out, be worn down some, but people aren't running faster times on grass at their pro-day.

It's not a reach - it's common sense. These kids are doing interviews starting first thing in the AM. Combines are renowned to have super early wake ups. YEs, at the end of the day it's just "running" but mental pressure/strain ALWAYS impacts performance - sometimes subtle like a tenth of a second worth.

Because they interview you at 6 am or at midnight to disrupt your routine. That's what the expert draft commentators have said. Read the article I provided a link to. It doesn't talk about interviews, but it talks about stress.

Because they interview you at 6 am or at midnight to disrupt your routine. That's what the expert draft commentators have said. Read the article I provided a link to. It doesn't talk about interviews, but it talks about stress.

I read it and have been as I said to three separate combines myself. I'm well aware of what goes on during your time there.

When players hit the drills, its typically a relief as its one aspect of the process they have been doing forever and feel confident in. Some exceptions apply of course and there's something riding on it. That's part of the build-up, getting them to be comfortable at that moment.

Everyone handles it differently. The times they put up there is what they go with. Scouts don't value a pro-day time more than a combine time.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back