40 Times - Miami vs Combine

Advertisement
NFL scouts coming to pro day with a laser or their stop watch?
I've attended 8 UM Pro Days....The NFL Scouts I saw..ALL had personal Hand held stop watches...Now granted, we're talking 96-2003....but that's what I saw....I was talking about this very subject with Hester a few months ago...

Hand times are always faster than laser, coaches or whoever is holding the clock almost instinctively quick click.

The question I have is, is it expensive to get a laser time on a college campus? Do we have one for our track team?

I'm not sure I see the value in exaggerated 40's other than boosting player morale & potentially making them believe they're faster than they really are which idk exactly what that does for them on the field lol.

safid deen was on with the local hour guys and he said even NFL coaches at the combine were using their stop watches during the 40 even tho it was laser timed. coaches love those things

I've attended 8 UM Pro Days....The NFL Scouts I saw..ALL had personal Hand held stop watches...Now granted, we're talking 96-2003....but that's what I saw....I was talking about this very subject with Hester a few months ago...

still the same. safid deen just said the same thign from indy this year. coaches love those things and nothing has changed

Advertisement
Hand times are always faster than laser, coaches or whoever is holding the clock almost instinctively quick click.

The question I have is, is it expensive to get a laser time on a college campus? Do we have one for our track team?

I'm not sure I see the value in exaggerated 40's other than boosting player morale & potentially making them believe they're faster than they really are which idk exactly what that does for them on the field lol.
Yeah that’s what I’m saying it doesn’t make sense to even post it if it’s hand time lol

Are some players in better shape for Pro Days? It does not seem unusual read players improving after the combine. Especially players known for speed.

Are some players in better shape for Pro Days? It does not seem unusual read players improving after the combine. Especially players known for speed.

They improve because it's a stopwatch. They even will mark up and down times, using whatever imaginary formula (or compare what other coaches / scouts got that run) they have in their head and go with that arbitrary number. Having been timed with a stopwatch and watching them, it is the weirdest **** experience ever IMHO. I've flat out heard and seen coaches and scouts say I know they're faster than that and mark down a faster time, putting the time they got down basically as their fault with the stopwatch.

Advertisement

Whoa, whoa, whoa, partner. Here at the University of Miami, we believe in inclusion and boosting a player’s morale. Shucks, let me tell you the story of one Jarren Williams. Buddy, I’ll tell you; he was the MVP in a game he fought his ***** off. Granted, we loss...but the moral of this morale story is, don’t be a cheeseburger, be a quarter pounder and that’s what these 40 times do for our young.

Edit: We’ll only get a laser timer if the donors put up.

I always see the nfl scouts at the combine with stop watches?

scouts trust their OWN time imho...those hand times by us in the spring will likely be the same hand times an nfl scout clocks with his own stop watch.

when deion sanders ran his 4.2 at the combine..was that a laser time? I’m not sure

Last edited:

THANK YOU! I saw the same exact thing from 04/05 to 2008 & again ten years later when Tyree St. Louis came out.

We both know these hand held times are the norm & I don’t understand why so many are crying about the laser time.

Those in the know...know.

THANK YOU! I saw the same exact thing from 04/05 to 2008 & again ten years later when Tyree St. Louis came out.

We both know these hand held times are the norm & I don’t understand why so many are crying about the laser time.

Those in the know...know.
Exactly...and not to reiterate...I was told by more than one Professional Track Guy that the majority of HS (including some colleges) improperly use these devices....

Advertisement

Agreed. Hand times are always going to be faster. Comparing to the combine is always going to be faster no matter what school you're from.

IDK if a laser is needed. Guys should just realize that they're probably 1 tenth (.1) slower than they actually are. It's already factored in. IDK if they use a laser on their pro day or not. I'm sure NFL scouts have their own hand times and just factor it in.

Another thing to consider is the stage the players are on. At the NFL combine it's a challenge to run their best during such a hectic week which is why most guys run the 40 again at their pro day.

Agreed. Hand times are always going to be faster. Comparing to the combine is always going to be faster no matter what school you're from.

IDK if a laser is needed. Guys should just realize that they're probably 1 tenth (.1) slower than they actually are. It's already factored in. IDK if they use a laser on their pro day or not. I'm sure NFL scouts have their own hand times and just factor it in.

Another thing to consider is the stage the players are on. At the NFL combine it's a challenge to run their best during such a hectic week which is why most guys run the 40 again at their pro day.

They don't use a laser on their pro-day.

That last paragraph, just no. You've worked on running the 40 literally every single day leading up to the draft. You are getting technique training, starts, drive phase, etc. You as a player have never been as prepared to run a 40 in your lifetime. It isn't a challenge.

Even if you forget all of your work leading up to that moment and your nerves get the best of you, it's still just running. Something every single person has been doing since they could walk. Even then, that's your likely 40 time, it won't ever be better.

Advertisement

yet another thing that makes us look so bush league...with the type of talent within 3 hours to our schoolyou would think we would lead in all things football!!!

1583461470149.jpeg

They don't use a laser on their pro-day.

That last paragraph, just no. You've worked on running the 40 literally every single day leading up to the draft. You are getting technique training, starts, drive phase, etc. You as a player have never been as prepared to run a 40 in your lifetime. It isn't a challenge.

Even if you forget all of your work leading up to that moment and your nerves get the best of you, it's still just running. Something every single person has been doing since they could walk. Even then, that's your likely 40 time, it won't ever be better.
Sorry, but you are incorrect. Mike Mayock on the NFL Network has said in many a NFL combines that the the players are intentionally stressed to see how they perform under pressure. They have interviews at odd hours etc. It's designed to put them out of their comfort zone. So, yes some guys don't run well at the combine. Others do better than expected. We see it every year.

I think I trust Mike's expertise over yours. Couldn't find his quote, but here's an article accounting for stress at the combine.

Last edited:

Then again what real substance would it add to have laser 40 times? Not gonna help catch tackle throw any better seems like a waste.

Advertisement
Back