40 Times - Miami vs Combine

bshaw28

Junior
Thought it would be interesting to circle back on these 40 times from June, 2018 now that we have combine numbers. Everyone knows hand times are faster, but it's interesting to see by how much.

Miami / Combine 40's

Homer - 4.31 / 4.48 +.17
Thomas - 4.37 / 4.45 +.08
Bandy - 4.37 / 4.50 +.13
Redwine - 4.38 / 4.44 +.06
Dallas - 4.45 / 4.58 +.13

1583338588179.png

Advertisement
Hand times are always faster than laser, coaches or whoever is holding the clock almost instinctively quick click.

The question I have is, is it expensive to get a laser time on a college campus? Do we have one for our track team?

I'm not sure I see the value in exaggerated 40's other than boosting player morale & potentially making them believe they're faster than they really are which idk exactly what that does for them on the field lol.

Advertisement
Hand times are always faster than laser, coaches or whoever is holding the clock almost instinctively quick click.

The question I have is, is it expensive to get a laser time on a college campus? Do we have one for our track team?

I'm not sure I see the value in exaggerated 40's other than boosting player morale & potentially making them believe they're faster than they really are which idk exactly what that does for them on the field lol.
I was thinking the same thing. Shouldn’t be too difficult for a major university to use the same equipment that the NFL uses. Might help give guys a more realistic idea of whether or not to go to the draft.

**** no, my high school in 2005 had a laser timer in Detroit. No reason any college should not have a laser timer.

Advertisement

I've always wondered that too - why we don't have electronic clocks? Also, do we include testing for the broad jump and vertical? We might already do that and I just don't know - but it seems to make sense to include what's tested at the combine.

I don't think these 40 times are purposely inflated or anything. It's like you said - the hand probably just starts a split second late and anticipates the finish a split second early. Just human nature and it happens at every school. Some schools have faster tracks than others too.

I wasn't trying to make any point other than it's interesting to see the differences.

With Hand times....They are ALWAYS started Late...and Stopped too early....Thats Fact...

They're often faster, but not always.

Hand timing just means there's more variability - someone with the watch could be fast or slow on the draw.

Personally, I never pay attention to hand times.

I look at the camps for the HS kids which have more accurate times and the NFL combine and that's about it.

Thought it would be interesting to circle back on these 40 times from June, 2018 now that we have combine numbers. Everyone knows hand times are faster, but it's interesting to see by how much.

Miami / Combine 40's

Homer - 4.31 / 4.48 +.17
Thomas - 4.37 / 4.45 +.08
Bandy - 4.37 / 4.50 +.13
Redwine - 4.38 / 4.44 +.06
Dallas - 4.45 / 4.58 +.13

View attachment 112957

Advertisement

Hand timing just means there's more variability - someone with the watch could be fast or slow on the draw.

I look at the camps for the HS kids which have more accurate times and the NFL combine and that's about it.
I speak to Track guys all the time...Im talking coaches etc....They all say most HS programs are in error when using everything from Hand held...to newer means...

It's not all the time - but 90% of all players at the combine will test faster at their Pro Day.

I don't think hand times should be looked at for exact 40 times, but rather to verify and get a sense of "here's the fast guys on the team, here's who has average speed, and here's who's slow"

Advertisement
The laser is hand started at the Combine as well.

The only thing that’s automatic is the finish. Which is why most teams actually use their own times.

At the Combine there are also multiple times taken and that’s why it takes a while to get an “official” time posted.

The Combine does not use FAT track timing.

It's not all the time - but 90% of all players at the combine will test faster at their Pro Day.

I don't think hand times should be looked at for exact 40 times, but rather to verify and get a sense of "here's the fast guys on the team, here's who has average speed, and here's who's slow"

Much of that is track conditions and familiarity. Along with the occasional few inches shaved off the end of the distance.

$500 to a grand and you're in business.

Pretty much everyone uses a stopwatch. Quick and easy to set up. Psychological thing as well like someone mentioned above.

Advertisement
Back