2023 4 Star Safety - Jayden Bonsu, NJ - Committing 08/14 @ 4pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
I don't subscribe to the way the websites rank the teams.

It should be about the quality of the player signed. They're all assigned values so I look at their average player ranking.

Doing that, they're basically a top 5 program yearly. There's a lot of teams ahead of them in those years where those ahead are 2 to 3 points lower on player average but pushed past them in the team rankings due to more players signed.

Clemson recruits top tier recruits, at least they have been during their run. ****, we ranked one spot ahead of them one year and had 7 more commits if my memory serves me correctly. That's insane and overall, it was close. Guess which class I'm rocking with if I'm being impartial.
1000%. It's def more important to have top 5 classes by avg. player rating and not necessarily by total points.

Especially now that the portal is a mainstream part of just about every teams recruiting efforts.

We can win a ton of games maintaining high HS player ratings and smaller classes (if we miss on top targets) then back fill any needs with top 5 portal classes.

Versus taking too many 0.86 level freshman who prob won't end up making an impact, but might bump us up a few spots in the rankings

correct. they're only ranked lower bc they took small classes, but their quality has been bama elite
Because they retain a lot of players. One year they had a couple 1st round DL return. Last time that happened at UM was wary 00s. No surprise we played for titles.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Top ten isn’t good enough. Truth hurts, but that’s facts. Ceiling of 6th to 7th isn’t high enough.

Let’s be real, we can recruit in that range several years in a row and we’re not competing for championships, because Alabama and Georgia are top 3 every year.

Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

It should be about the quality of the player signed. They're all assigned values so I look at their average player ranking.

Doing that, they're basically a top 5 program yearly. There's a lot of teams ahead of them in those years where those ahead are 2 to 3 points lower on player average but pushed past them in the team rankings due to more players signed.

Clemson recruits top tier recruits, at least they have been during their run. ****, we ranked one spot ahead of them one year and had 7 more commits if my memory serves me correctly. That's insane and overall, it was close. Guess which class I'm rocking with if I'm being impartial.
I agree with you for the most part that quality > quantity.

But you need both because the quantity is what gives you a margin for error when kids don't pan out the way you expected.

Last class (2022) Clemson was ranked 10th by overall class but 14th by class quality.

They were 16th in 2019 in class quality.

Looks like they were top 5 in quality all other recent years.

I agree with you for the most part that quality > quantity.

But you need both because the quantity is what gives you a margin for error when kids don't pan out the way you expected.

Last class (2022) Clemson was ranked 10th by overall class but 14th by class quality.

They were 16th in 2019 in class quality.

Looks like they were top 5 in quality all other recent years.

Transfers, graduations, injuries, sometimes you've gotta take some reaches below your normal standard. Those loaded at a position or big classes can put you in a bind down the road.

Here’s what their average has been since 16’ and where it’s ranked.

2016 - 90.30 9th
2017 - 92.10 5th
2018 - 93.45 4th
2019 - 89.76 didn’t even look
2020 - 93.44 2nd
2021 - 94.01 3rd
2022 - 89.83 didn’t look

They’ve consistently had elite class averages while landing elite QB’s and DL. That’s their formula and why they’ve been successful. Their D is nasty, they just need a QB to step up.

Advertisement
Top ten isn’t good enough. Truth hurts, but that’s facts. Ceiling of 6th to 7th isn’t high enough.

Let’s be real, we can recruit in that range several years in a row and we’re not competing for championships, because Alabama and Georgia are top 3 every year.
I agree with you, but with one caveat. NIL may bring down Bama, Georgia, and OSU by spreading out talent more. If so, top 8 may become the new cutoff. We'll have to wait and see.

Gaby's notes:

Some things have changed since, for example four-star safety Jayden Bonsu pushing back this Wednesday commitment to an undisclosed date. InsideTheU continues to expect a decision to come on Saturday, though that has yet to be confirmed by Bonsu, and we’re still feeling good about Miami being the pick. There are some behind-the-scenes things going on in this recruitment but there is reason to feel confident in the Hurricanes.

Why do we get stuck with clout chasing, unskilled, immature, twitter finger kids for our recruiting guys? We need at least one professional in the building who has some experience, knows how to carry himself and can write a half decent sentence.
We have several. There’s always gonna be clueless clout chasers.

Advertisement
Top 5 classes are a must unless we get transcendent QBs like Clemson did imo

Okay, but who is ranking them? Does anyone really think the On3 or ESPN or Rivals are collectively better evaluators than Mario and his staff?

I think this class final ranking was always going to be 5-10 range no matter who we signed…

I say that in the sense of even high ranked kids we signed early would see drops in their rankings in favor of the usual suspects…. See examples in Wayne and Riley…. At the end of the day this fake unbiased rankings crap is really more so geared to keep the high sub schools happy and seeing their recruits and class ranked high

I think this class final ranking was always going to be 5-10 range no matter who we signed…

I say that in the sense of even high ranked kids we signed early would see drops in their rankings in favor of the usual suspects…. See examples in Wayne and Riley…. At the end of the day this fake unbiased rankings crap is really more so geared to keep the high sub schools happy and seeing their recruits and class ranked high
This, the issue isn’t the class ranking and it never was. Investment, Evaluations, and Development………..the publications can keep our classes from being number one on paper but can’t stop what happens on Gameday.

Advertisement
We're getting top 5, sack up
We are tied for 5th best per player ranking in the nation with more 3 stars than a bunch of the teams who have a higher average. We can easily finish in the top 5. And should regardless of what happens this week. Give u man a couple days of notso great news and its like Al Golden is back. Smh. If you think every player we after is gonna commit here, or that if someone don't commit here the sky is falling, stay on eye in the sky.
I don’t get too much into the rankings but I do definitely look at the average per recruit more than the actual ranking

We can get a #1 class like we did in 08 but if you went back and did average per player I’m sure we were way down the list (maybe not but jus guessing since there were so many kids in that class that were nobodies)

The 10-15 was off a average or below average season. I always saw the 6-8 range as the ceiling off a good season.

Yeah. We can have a shot at top 5 class but the reality is that we won’t have top 5 classes until we start winning 9+.

Yeah. We can have a shot at top 5 class but the reality is that we won’t have top 5 classes until we start winning 9+.
Nope, until we can match the financial commitment other teams put on players we battling for. Texas A&M didnt use 9 wins, nor did Texas. Pittsburgh and Mich St won 11 games and we ahead of them. We have to play the same game these teams are playing. UGA, Ohio, Bama etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back