4-star RB Chaney Jr. updates recruitment, plans UM-FSU visit

Advertisement
Was hoping he’d be committing early (as been hinted since Peter was around) but I’m confident with Richt and Brown leading this thing.

Belen Jesuit 4-star RB Don Chaney Jr. is the Canes’ top target at the running back position for the 2020 cycle, so it’s no surprise that he’s feeling like a priority to the Canes so far. Chaney Jr. reports that he has a strong bond with both Mark Richt and Thomas Brown and that their relationship goes back to middle school.

“It’s a pretty good relationship,” Chaney Jr. said on Richt and Brown. “We’ll talk and they mostly talk to my dad. Goes through me sometimes, but it’s a really stable relationship and a strong bond that we have. Ever since the 8th grade, so it’s a really good relationship that we all have.”

The 5’11” 195 pound back previously told CIS that UM was his leader back in May, but is backing off that a bit so he can enjoy the recruiting process more like his father did.

“I’m going to treat all of the colleges the same,” Chaney Jr. said on not having leaders. “All at the same level, and go through the recruiting process and enjoy it… So I can get the feel of what my dad really went through. My dad went through the whole recruiting process, and he went to South Carolina.”

As a nationally rated prospect with offers from all around the country, Chaney Jr. does not lack for any suitors. Both in-state and out of state top programs are in constant contact with the Belen Jesuit star and it seems like UM will have their hands full in keeping Chaney Jr. home.

“Florida and FSU are coming hard. Well, basically all of the Big 3 are coming after me hard,” Chaney Jr. said. “I mean every school that’s coming after me is recruiting me hard, I’m just very appreciative of it. Georgia, Alabama has been calling my dad lately. LSU and Ohio State too.”

While this upcoming fall will be about focusing on his junior season, Chaney Jr. anticipates making plenty of visits in the winter and spring after the season is over, mainly to programs outside of South Florida.

“After the season, I really want to do Ohio State, LSU, South Carolina, and Auburn,” Chaney Jr. said. “Schools like that out of the state.”

Will he attend the Miami-FSU matchup at Hardrock Stadium this season?

“Yes. Actually, that’s the day after my birthday.”

In the football off-season, Chaney Jr. ran track in both the 100m and 200m, recording a 10.8 in the 100m. For his junior season, Chaney Jr will hope to use that extra speed to best the personal records he set last season.

“Mainly to get to states. That’s every team’s dream,” Chaney Jr. said on his personal goals. “Just really trying to focus on what I got to do help my team win and go further. My personal goal is to beat the records I set. Single most touchdown record (24) and beat the rushing record for season and playoffs, which is 1,400. Just to beat both of those records.”

In the past, Chaney Jr. has played on both sides of the ball, but will focus on running back for his junior season aside from special situations.

“I am (playing defense) in case of emergency,” Chaney Jr. said. “Basically 'ICE' Don. In case of emergency Don, on defense.”

Once again, great post. Clearly Chaney is our top target at RB. If we want two, who do you think is #2 on their board? Would it be Holmes or Bowman?

Advertisement
Also I feel Nayquan will end up in this class, not McIntosh. We have enough big backs. We need a speed back like Wright.
I'm with you there.

Nayquan is a more valuable player to have long term than McIntosh. Not really upset about losing him.

Bowman is not only very good, but we need that lakeland connection strong. Seems like they always have good players or acquire them through transfers.

Advertisement
do we have a good chance with bowman?

Welp, he was at Paradise. Him and Holmes put on a show in LB/RB drills. I'd take Bowman in a heartbeat but I am not sure about his interest either. The odds of landing the #1 and #2 RB in the state of Florida in the same class seems waaaaay optimistic. Stefan?

Advertisement
Advertisement
F this. Bring me Kendall "Duke 2.0" Milton!

Yea we should definitely say "F This" to recruiting the guy who has (1) been First Team All-Dade each of his freshman and sophomore seasons (in the big school classification), (2) Miami-Dade County Athlete of the Year each of his freshman and sophomore seasons, (3) led Miami-Dade County in rushing as a sophomore with 1,400 yards and 22 TDs (9.5 ypc), (4) won states in the high jump each of his freshman and sophomore years, (5) ran a 10.88 100 meter as a HS freshman, (6) is currently 6' 200 pounds as a 16 year old that is clearly still growing, (7) has a father that is 6'6 300+ pounds and played WR at UScar, (8) has favored UM during the whole recruiting process to date, and (9) has been nothing but upfront and real with UM coaches from the get-go.

That's a great formula for success. Let's say "f this" and let South Florida's (and one of the nation's) premier RBs with tremendous upside go to UGA or FSU and just chase after Milton. I bet you wanted us to not recruit Lamar Miller in favor of Bryce Brown too, right?

*Disclaimer: I think Milton is a stud and we should definitely recruit him hard in addition to prioritizing Chaney

Yea we should definitely say "F This" to recruiting the guy who has (1) been First Team All-Dade each of his freshman and sophomore seasons (in the big school classification), (2) Miami-Dade County Athlete of the Year each of his freshman and sophomore seasons, (3) led Miami-Dade County in rushing as a sophomore with 1,400 yards and 22 TDs (9.5 ypc), (4) won states in the high jump each of his freshman and sophomore years, (5) ran a 10.88 100 meter as a HS freshman, (6) is currently 6' 200 pounds as a 16 year old that is clearly still growing, (7) has a father that is 6'6 300+ pounds and played WR at UScar, (8) has favored UM during the whole recruiting process to date, and (9) has been nothing but upfront and real with UM coaches from the get-go.

That's a great formula for success. Let's say "f this" and let South Florida's (and one of the nation's) premier RBs with tremendous upside go to UGA or FSU and just chase after Milton. I bet you wanted us to not recruit Lamar Miller in favor of Bryce Brown too, right?

*Disclaimer: I think Milton is a stud and we should definitely recruit him hard in addition to prioritizing Chaney

Haha Loved some Lamar Miller. He waited for us to offer in last minute and loved us as the number one option until he committed on the spot. He was diehard Cane and didnt seem to want to go anywhere else.

I say take whomever commits first and then go hard after the other. Bring two backs in if you can. Power and speed. But look hard at Milton. Special talent.

Also, who are you? His agent? Scout? easy with the stats.

Haha Loved some Lamar Miller. He waited for us to offer in last minute and loved us as the number one option until he committed on the spot. He was diehard Cane and didnt seem to want to go anywhere else.

I say take whomever commits first and then go hard after the other. Bring two backs in if you can. Power and speed. But look hard at Milton. Special talent.

Also, who are you? His agent? Scout? easy with the stats.

You are a confused--Lamar Miller had an offer and was recruited by Miami well before his senior year. There was no last minute offer.

"easy with the stats" -- yea this board would be much better off with no one providing any actual content and rather people just dismissing every recruit that doesn't commit before their junior season starts. You ever think he wants to get his teammates more exposure?

Easy with the posting.

Advertisement
Back