4-star LB Davis updates recruitment at the Opening

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2019 Wekiva (FL) 4-star LB Rian Davis has been a big Miami target since he received his offer back in January and was one of the select few that earned an invitation out to the Opening Finals in Frisco, Texas last week. Catching up with Davis, he told me while he still talks with Miami, contact with the staff, has not been as frequent as in the past.

“It’s been alright,” Davis said of his UM recruitment. “Although, I will say I haven’t been hearing from them as much as I used to lately.”

When Davis does talk to UM, he hears from defensive coordinator Manny Diaz occasionally, but it’s been Miami outside linebackers coach Jon Patke that has taken the lead in Davis’ Miami recruitment.

“I would talk to coach Diaz and coach Patke. Coach Patke mostly,” Davis said. “He’s a younger guy on the staff, they hired him recently. He brings a lot of energy to the program and I think he’s going to be a good coach.”

Davis last visited Miami for Junior Day back in March and he said that visit was what raised the Canes in his mind.

“Walking around the school and seeing the facilities and classroom and meeting the coaches showed me that they have a lot to offer,” Davis said of the Canes.

Other schools that have been consistently named in Davis’ favorites have been Georgia and Texas, and Davis talked about what it is that makes those programs stand out.

Georgia: “Just a great coaching staff and the campus is amazing. I could see myself there and I feel comfortable with the people around the program.”

Texas: “Same thing, they also have very good coaches. I think with coach Herman they’re about to be building something special. It feels like home to me.”

Although in our last chat with Davis, he mentioned he would want to make a top 3 over the summer and then decide before the season, he says that plan has now changed.

“No, no top 3, that’s not the plan anymore,” Davis said. “I’m just going to choose a school when I’m ready, it could be anytime.”

As for upcoming visits, Davis doesn’t have any planned, but did take his first two official visits to Louisville and Texas recently. When he does feel comfortable choosing one school, it’s clear academics, coaching, and the surrounding environment will be key factors for Davis.

“I’m looking for a great education and great coaching that’s going to take me to the next level, and it has to feel like home.”

Advertisement
The way he talks up UGA and Texas while simultaneously mentions that we're not contacting him as much lets me know that we're lucky if we're in a distant 3rd.

Advertisement
We either don't really want him or don't think he would come here no matter what we do. If we do really want him, then we're doing a horrible job of recruiting him apparently.

Ya I think the ship has sailed with him...We wanted him, but get the sense he isn't coming, and our shifting our gears elsewhere.

Advertisement
Is it me, but it appears this staff give up a little too easy w top prospects?

I mean, y can’t they not put all their eggs in one basket, while still being aggressive w top talent?

It’s either they put all their eggs in one basket and find their dyck in their hands in the end or they just simply give up early.

I didn’t follow UGA recruiting w Richt there but it seems he didn’t follow this formula there. Could it be recruiting So Fla has gotten him snake bitten?

It's obvious the staff has cooled on the kid. Maybe they feel they're too far out of it? Maybe he asked for "favors" that they weren't interested in offering? There's got to be some reason why they cooled off on a kid they were really high on earlier. They didn't just forget about him.

It's obvious the staff has cooled on the kid. Maybe they feel they're too far out of it? Maybe he asked for "favors" that they weren't interested in offering? There's got to be some reason why they cooled off on a kid they were really high on earlier. They didn't just forget about him.

Agreed with this. I don't get the sense this staff just gives up on top FL talent particularly when the other comp. is out of state teams. Something had to have happened in the conversations that soured it and we are not going to pursue it further. We just don't know what has happened in the conversations over the course of this so everything is just speculation.

Advertisement

I mean, y can’t they not put all their eggs in one basket, while still being aggressive w top talent?

It’s either they put all their eggs in one basket and find their dyck in their hands in the end or they just simply give up early.

I didn’t follow UGA recruiting w Richt there but it seems he didn’t follow this formula there. Could it be recruiting So Fla has gotten him snake bitten?
Either that or they are fine with how they are sitting with their commits and other targets at different positions.

We have 3 Linebackers already committed... that's why the staff has moved on. 3 LBs are enough for one class. NEXT!

Either that or they are fine with how they are sitting with their commits and other targets at different positions.

True; welp, I’m now of the mind set let the Paradise Camp and the season play out and we’ll go from there. As everyone always say, “recruiting is fluid.” Lol

Advertisement
I do not get the love for this kid. Physically he is legit but he is more of a DE/ OLB hybrid and we already have one of those committed. I do not see these guy as a MLB at all.....

Have to remember though this kid isn't SouthFlorida...He's Central Florida and just played in Texas the past 2 seasons. If he was a Dade kid, I'm sure we'd be willing to go to the bitter end with him.

I just think we are getting the sense he's a GA vs. Texas battle...Until we get a little more "reciprocation", time must be invested more wisely elsewhere.

Advertisement
Back