4-star DE Rawlins-Kibonge sees marketing potential at UM after new NCAA ruling

This kid is going to Stanford. And he already knows that's the pick. Hence us turning up the heat on the DE from Connecticut (TVD old teammate). We won't take 3 DEs this year, so if Ish is one, we got 1 spot left.
No, no he's not. Kids a trailblazer and Miami helps him blaze the trail.

Advertisement
Advertisement
IDK, I see a lot of yachts parked just off A1A. I'm sure there's plenty of big money boosters in that crowd. I wonder if it's possible to pay players to advertise their name on them? You know. Help with yacht sales.
But those folks may or may not care about Miami football. In the Deep South every single person cares

There are many ranking organizations.
Another ranking criteria is avg. ACT/SAT score and Miami is up there with the elite large football playing schools. FSU is not in the top tier.
You can pull whatever rankings out you want to justify your stance or cherry-pick stats, but when people talk about college rankings or T-14 for law school, it’s the US News. I am not having this debate again, mainly because it is pointless, but saying there is another ranking organization is like schools in the 50s referring to national titles from some obscure newspaper rather than the AP or coaches poll.

A Stanford “offer” does not mean that he is a lock to be admitted to Stanford if he tries to commit. The coaches do pre-screen a recruit’s academic standing before they offer. But, the Stanford Admissions Dept. has to later ratify and confirm that the recruit is academically qualified when he tries to commit. That department wants to see his test scores and final grades before signing off on admission. It’s not automatic.

Advertisement
“Also thinking about the new rules on NCAA players being able to make money, it’s a great place to be to market myself to build my brand, to build my image. It’s just somewhere I couldn’t pass up on and I had to put in my top 8.”

This ends really, really well for the NCAA. Of course players "building their brands" at Alabama will be looked at identically to Miami.

Miami is now ranked #39 academically in the nation. FSU is #80. End of discussion.

Both Miami and FSU are 57. End of discussion.

By the way, I do not think these are the end all and be all of someone getting to where they want to go, and outside of some finance and consulting firms, you don't need to be in that top tier for your first job out of college. Once you get out of the top 25-30 schools on that list, they are all interchangeable until you get to that next tier of schools. But if the first person is going to mention Top 50 as the litmus test, then you can't just choose to ignore the list because it does not suit the narrative. However, quarantine sucks enough without debating the merits of the US News rankings, so this conversation is done as far as I am concerned.

Both Miami and FSU are 57. End of discussion.

By the way, I do not think these are the end all and be all of someone getting to where they want to go, and outside of some finance and consulting firms, you don't need to be in that top tier for your first job out of college. Once you get out of the top 25-30 schools on that list, they are all interchangeable until you get to that next tier of schools. But if the first person is going to mention Top 50 as the litmus test, then you can't just choose to ignore the list because it does not suit the narrative. However, quarantine sucks enough without debating the merits of the US News rankings, so this conversation is done as far as I am concerned.

Not the end of discussion. The rankings from this publication are not solely based on academics, etc. There are numerous other factors which do not favor institutions like Miami. You might take a look at actual test scores by students applying, selectivity of admission, faculty qualifications, etc.

There are other publications that look at actual academics far more closely than this one.
This survey sells magazines. period.

Advertisement
Not the end of discussion. The rankings from this publication are not solely based on academics, etc. There are numerous other factors which do not favor institutions like Miami. You might take a look at actual test scores by students applying, selectivity of admission, faculty qualifications, etc.

There are other publications that look at actual academics far more closely than this one.
This survey sells magazines. period.
It is meant to sell magazines, but it is also the most referred to one and the one that all news outlets go back to. I understand it lumps in 1st year retention, endowment, percent of alumni that give back, and countless other factors. However, it is still the one that people are referring to when they say Top 50 schools. Regardless of rankings based on US News or whichever list you want to pull, tiers are probably a more accurate and relevant way to look at it:

Tier 1 - Ivies, Stanford, MIT, Chicago, and similar
Tier 2 - Michigan, Emory, Vanderbilt, Wash U, NYU, and similar schools
Tier 3 - Miami, BU, UF, Texas, and similar schools.

Saying you are #34 and you are #47 is honestly an exercise in futility, and for the most part the same companies and doors are open to students across those general tiers. At that point, the student should choose based on feel, their major, and amount of debt they may have to take on, not based off of this list, and the only reason I even mentioned that is the post I was responding to.

Hasn't played football till recently, been a basketball player. Huge potential. Watch his highlights.

I agree with you
He’s likely far from hitting his ceiling but he’s exactly the type of ops guys we should target and get
Guys who look like they can blow up in a year or two

Advertisement
Reel him in.

Seems like a good, logical kid. I’ve already been on his raw talent; coachable, athletic, new to the game of football & is already a 4 star. Bring him here.

Reel him in.

Seems like a good, logical kid. I’ve already been on his raw talent; coachable, athletic, new to the game of football & is already a 4 star. Bring him here.
He wants to get out of the cold (and Stanford is rainy and cold like Oregon). Bring him to the Sunshine and he's ours.

Football only it's not a question imo. Everything else from the alumni network to the prestige of the degree favors Stanford. But for a serious football player, Miami offers an opportunity to be showcased few can compare to, not to mention a very good degree. What Miami does for players and helping them graduate even after they leave is very unique and something I don't think a lot of schools do.

Schools that care about their APR scores and graduation rates allow players to comeback and graduate by covering the cost of their tuition. I know Urban used this recruiting strategy at Ohio State. "If you come here, we will get you ready for the league in 3 years and if you want to come back and graduate, we will pay for the Tuition."

Advertisement
Back