4-star DB Stevenson makes impact felt in 7-on-7 tournament, talks Canes

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
The newest addition to the Miami Southridge team wasn’t able to make the Miami Hurricanes 7-on-7 tournament challenge on campus Saturday morning, but he was sure to show up and make his impact felt for Southridge’s afternoon games. 4-star safety Tyrique Stevenson locked down the man across from him in both contests as Mark Richt, Manny Diaz, and Ephraim Banda watched on, and he even made numerous impressive catches as a receiver, including a touchdown in the championship game against Hialeah. Southridge won the title game over Hialeah, 25-18.

“I got out here late, so I felt I put my all into these last games,” Stevenson said. “I feel like I performed great.”

Stevenson made the transfer to Southridge from South Dade earlier this spring, so he’s still adjusting to his new teammates and coaches. But the young defensive back says the transition couldn’t have gone much better thus far.

“I’m feeling great about the move,” Stevenson said. “I didn’t expect things to go as smooth as they have been, but things have been smooth as soon as I got there.”

Looking fluid as a pass-catcher in the 7-on-7 environment, does Stevenson have a future at wideout in a real game scenario?

“I’m going to be playing some receiver for this season,” Stevenson said. “I like defense more though because I like to hit people.”

Talking recruiting, the school that Stevenson has been connected to the most since he decommitted from the Florida Gators back in December has been the hometown Hurricanes. Stevenson elaborated more on how things are going with the local school.

“They standing great as always,” Stevenson said about the Canes. “Them being the hometown team, the vibe I get from coach Richt and all the coaches here is always great.”

Stevenson is listed as a corner by recruiting services, however UM is recruiting him as a safety. Where does he prefer to play?

“It don’t matter. Wherever the team needs me, I’ll be there and put my all into it.”

Coach Banda is leading the charge to keep Stevenson home and the main pitch that Miami’s safety coach gives involves getting on the field early.

“We talk about me coming here and doing what I got to do,” Stevenson said on Banda. “He says I’ll definitely get playing time, you know Jaquan and Redwine will be gone. He tells me to do what I got to do and I’ll be in the rotation.”

Even so, Stevenson, who lists himself at 6’1.5” and 201 pounds, isn’t ready to list any true leaders and prefers to keep things open as he goes through the process.

“No top groups or leaders,” Stevenson said. “I’m giving everybody an equal opportunity to recruit me.”

Still, the Canes, along with the Georgia Bulldogs, are schools that Stevenson consistently mentions in his favorites. How does he compare the two?

Miami: “It’s the home team and just the coaching here is hard to beat.”

Georgia: “The difference from Miami is it ain’t home, it’s away, but when I go there, I like the campus and the vibe I get from the coaches is great. So, I’m kind of looking into them too.”

Stevenson plans to stay busy training this summer and won’t plan out his visits to campus too far in advanced. He says it’s likely they’ll be more of a last minute thing.

“I’m going to play it by ear,” Stevenson said. “I don’t have anything planned right now.”

At this moment in time, a decision timetable remains elusive for Stevenson. However, he does know he will be an early enrollee at his school of choice.

“I’m still waiting on a decision time,” Stevenson said. “I know I’m going to sign in December and graduate early.”

And when it’s time to separate one school from all the others? Feeling at home and early playing time will be deciding factors.

“I’ll feel at home at that one school. A place where I can get in the rotation and come do my thing.”

Advertisement
Too many SoFl premier players seem too interested in one or several sec schools. We got to turn the perception of these kids that these sec schools offer better chance to championships and the NFL.
Did you not read the article? UGA - "it aint home", Miami - "It's home and the coaching is hard to beat". SoFla kids have and will always consider SEC schools until the end of time.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Did you not read the article? UGA - "it aint home", Miami - "It's home and the coaching is hard to beat". SoFla kids have and will always consider SEC schools until the end of time.
I did read the article. Did you comprehend my statement? Note I said we have to turn perception to keep "premier" players home. not that they won't consider sec teams.

I am making a prediction. He commits like Jaquan Johnson when the school year starts.

27C78188-7377-444A-8D43-3CC9E6014BF2.jpeg

Advertisement
My question is this why don't more football players in Miami dont start running at a younger age?

When will they stop the BS and move to the 400IH?

Too many SoFl premier players seem too interested in one or several sec schools. We got to turn the perception of these kids that these sec schools offer better chance to championships and the NFL.
You and others are confused by interviews like this. Sometimes you just gotta read between the lines. (Not the case with all kids) but the vast majorityof them when this is said about the sec is said because they know the sec is where pays the most. The elite mos know that better than all others. Than the big 10 than 12. Acc & 12 are similar in that aspect. Certain schools like texas & ou are head and shoulders above the others. Obviously thats not saying sone don't mean exactly what they say. But vast majority talk in shadows.

Advertisement
Dude will be a Cane. He seems like a kid who gets tired of the process and will just commit to Miami
Planning to commit in December? So it seems he’s trying to see which school has a better season and is closest towards a championship.

Advertisement
Back