4-star CB Markevious Brown close to cutting list, talks UM

View as article
Advertisement
Give Rumph some blue-blood bags and he's James Coley 2.0

He’d still get his *** handed to him by the legit recruiters the blue bloods employ. He’d just stop losing recruiting battles for legacy recruits. The kids that grew up an hour from Athens would go to UGA if Rumph was the DB coach for UGA.
But he would need weekly therapy sessions for what the Corey Raymonds of the world would do to him when Rumph no longer has home field advantage.

Advertisement
Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t the man in such a bad place psychologically that he actually required therapy / counseling at one point due to all of his recruiting failures and subsequent lack of confidence?
that's a pretty rough take.
I applaud Coach Rumph for dong what ever it takes to improve at his job, and for being honest about using therapy.
We need to stop viewing "going to therapy" as a negative.
John Smoltz famously went to a sports psychologist for years as have countless other athletes. And likely coaches as well but they aren't as open about it as Rumph.

Is dude implying that Black people are supporting Rumph because he's Black? I'd say you're wrong.
2 of Rumph's biggest critics on the board are Black, me & Gogeta lol.

And every single time I talk about Rumph I make it beyond clear that I really really like him as a person & and as a coach, it's just his recruiting hasn't been that great. I honestly don't understand why there's always a huge War over this topic, it's pretty clear he's not really a great recruiter, that doesn't mean I want him fired or that I hate him or anything like that.

I've said it hundred times on hear, I'd add a coach on staff who's a recruiting Dynamo that specializes in CB recruiting & would just have him tag team with Rumph on any CB prospects we're after.

Even with all that said, I don't blame all our CB recruiting issues on Rumph, but I don't completely absolve him either. To me it's 50/50 Diaz/Rumph...

Either way, Markevious Brown needs to be a Hurricane, there's just no two ways about it, I don't wanna hear any excuses, just get this kid committed & signed in December.

And every single time I talk about Rumph I make it beyond clear that I really really like him as a person & and as a coach, it's just his recruiting hasn't been that great. I honestly don't understand why there's always a huge War over this topic, it's pretty clear he's not really a great recruiter, that doesn't mean I want him fired or that I hate him or anything like that.

I've said it hundred times on hear, I'd add a coach on staff who's a recruiting Dynamo that specializes in CB recruiting & would just have him tag team with Rumph on any CB prospects we're after.

Even with all that said, I don't blame all our CB recruiting issues on Rumph, but I don't completely absolve him either. To me it's 50/50 Rumph/Diaz...

Either way, Markevious Brown needs to be a Hurricane, there's just no two ways about it, I don't wanna hear any excuses, just get this kid committed & signed in December.

these are all my thoughts as well with a littrle bit of trolling lol.

Soon as he has some actual cbs of his that are in the nfl he has more to sell on the trail. It may be able to help him a bit

Advertisement
that's a pretty rough take.
I applaud Coach Rumph for dong what ever it takes to improve at his job, and for being honest about using therapy.
We need to stop viewing "going to therapy" as a negative.
John Smoltz famously went to a sports psychologist for years as have countless other athletes. And likely coaches as well but they aren't as open about it as Rumph.

Yes, lots of athletes go to therapy over the stress of dealing with their job.

That’s not the same as going to therapy to figure out why you aren’t capable of doing your job.

Smoltz performed like a legit top of the rotation starter, and went to therapy for help in dealing with the pressure that comes with being the man on a World Series starter. He didn’t go to therapy because he didn’t know how to throw a breaking ball, and needed help with it.

He’d still get his *** handed to him by the legit recruiters the blue bloods employ. He’d just stop losing recruiting battles for legacy recruits. The kids that grew up an hour from Athens would go to UGA if Rumph was the DB coach for UGA.
But he would need weekly therapy sessions for what the Corey Raymonds of the world would do to him when Rumph no longer has home field advantage.
He'd probably recruit South Florida a lot better, which was the point I was implying with that hypothetical.

Corey Raymond is Corey Raymond, he's going to get his guys because he's got bags and one of the best track records in CFB

Yes, lots of athletes go to therapy over the stress of dealing with their job.

That’s not the same as going to therapy to figure out why you aren’t capable of doing your job.

Smoltz performed like a legit top of the rotation starter, and went to therapy for help in dealing with the pressure that comes with being the man on a World Series starter. He didn’t go to therapy because he didn’t know how to throw a breaking ball, and needed help with it.

90% of sales is selling yourself. You either have it or you don't. I applaud Rumph for realizing his shortcomings and trying to deal with it, but if he cant sell himself being a former 1st rd NFL pick, National Champion for the team he coaches for, he is well behind the 8 ball already. Banda is selling himself as a former bartender and alumnus of Incarnate Word

Advertisement

Even with all that said, I don't blame all our CB recruiting issues on Rumph, but I don't completely absolve him either. To me it's 50/50 Diaz/Rumph...

@Liberty City El , @gogeta4 - I've never accused either of you as not being fair, objective, or balanced-the majority of times we are all on the same pg. Nor have I said that all blacks in this fanbase blindly support Rumph.

What Im saying is, the ones that do, and continue to overlook his deficiencies & shortcomings as a coach are doing so not only because he's a former player & alum. Other forms of personal bias & preconceived notions are also at play here. Just like they are with the morons who think Tate Martell can one day become the starting QB @ MIA. It's insane. The bias that exists in this fanbase needs to be addressed across the board, immediately.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what in the fvck is going on here.

The Gaytors panicked because their recruiting class was tanking, and they paid Jason Marshall $250K to change his mind from UM to UiF. This isn't that complicated. No need to blame Rumph.

That is true but we have years of data and evidence to show he’s been very meh at recruiting. People are biased because he’s a former cane. If he wasn’t it would be a blood bath. That’s just facts.

What’s shocking is people still debate this lol.

Advertisement
@Liberty City El , @gogeta4 - I've never accused either of you as not being fair, objective, or balanced-the majority of times we are all on the same pg. Nor have I said that all blacks in this fanbase blindly support Rumph.

What Im saying is, the ones that do, and continue to overlook his deficiencies & shortcomings as a coach are doing so not only because he's a former player & alum. Personal biases & preconceived notions are also at play here. Just like they are with the morons who think Tate Martell can one day become the starting QB @ MIA. It's insane. The bias that exists across the board throughout this fanbase needs to be checked, immediately.
I really think most of the bias towards Rumph is out of sentimental loyalty to a Cane from 2001. There’s a good contingent who also feel that Patke should be kicked and that it’s wrong to talk about canning Rumph while Patke is sitting there unscathed.

I’d be good moving on from both.

What Im saying is, the ones that do, and continue to overlook his deficiencies & shortcomings as a coach are doing so not only because he's a former player & alum. Personal biases & preconceived notions are also at play here. Just like they are with the morons who think Tate Martell can one day become the starting QB @ MIA. It's insane. The bias that exists across the board throughout this fanbase needs to be checked, immediately.
You're wrong as ****. Just last year everyone was talking trash about Banda as well. Rumph isn't a good recruiter. Also, most of our defensive staff are green. They're now starting to get there teeth. I would only fire Rumph if I could replace him with an established good coach and good recruiter.
Blacks and whites usually don't agree anyway 😎

I really think most of the bias towards Rumph is out of sentimental loyalty to a Cane from 2001. There’s a good contingent who also feel that Patke should be kicked and that it’s wrong to talk about canning Rumph while Patke is sitting there unscathed.

I’d be good moving on from both.
Brown is the litmus test for me.

Advertisement
Back