4-star CB Markevious Brown close to cutting list, talks UM

View as article
Which one is it? Rumph is a bad recruiter, so Manny took him off the trail... Or Rumph actually pick the Corners he want recruits them, but fails... One minute he's only the developer everybody else is the sniper, but when they commit somewhere else... Rumph is the problem. I guess he was the problem when Jaden Davis and Asante Samuel Jr both wanted to be here... Yet, Wasn't givin the green light. So again which one is it? Spell it out for me if you know the arrangement.
I'm done with the stupid contortions you guys are doing to protect Rump. If you're happy with a guy who coaches 8 players being a complete zero recruiting, then that's cool. You guys act like chicks who got sweet dycked. You'll twist yourselves up in a ball like David Blaine to protect this dude.

Advertisement
I'm done with the stupid contortions you guys are doing to protect Rump. If you're happy with a guy who coaches 8 players being a complete zero recruiting, then that's cool. You guys act like chicks who got sweet dycked. You'll twist yourselves up in a ball like David Blaine to protect this dude.

Nope, I'm cool with the facts if you don't have them then we have nothing to talk about. I watched every game last year, and still without the best Corners they're not the reason we had a losing record. Currently we can win with those corners right now, so that's all I care about winning.

I never said he was a "lock" or ever was a "lock" or anything about it.

1) Our #1 position of need remaining in the class is CB, and it has been for quite some time;
2) Knowing that fact, it either is, or should have been, the #1 position of focus for recruitment;
3) Brown is from South Florida;
4) Brown's family wants him in-state;
5) Other major in-state programs are not recruiting him;
6) Bags are not in play here. Auburn is the only bag school recruiting him and they have other targets they'll need to spend on (see Ga'Quincy McKinstry)

This is a recruitment on a silver platter. If you can't close this, you can't be trusted to close anything.

I'd argue the #1 remaining need is clearly QB

Nope, I'm cool with the facts if you don't have them then we have nothing to talk about. I watched every game last year, and still without the best Corners they're not the reason we had a losing record. Currently we can win with those corners right now, so that's all I care about winning.
Maybe we should raise the bar a smidge?

Advertisement
I'd argue the #1 remaining need is clearly QB
I am a firm believer in taking a QB every class.

While I don't like it at all, and it's risky as ****, they can wait till the portal to get someone else at QB. I've just written off QB recruiting for this cycle.

Our current CB class does nothing to address the needs at the position. This class needs a player who is a future starter at CB. Right now CB is an F for this cycle.

I am a firm believer in taking a QB every class.

While I don't like it at all, and it's risky as ****, they can wait till the portal to get someone else at QB. I've just written off QB recruiting for this cycle.

Our current CB class does nothing to address the needs at the position. This class needs a player who is a future starter at CB. Right now CB is an F for this cycle.
Nah, it's definitely not an F...Malik Curtis has everything you want as an athlete. Don't get me wrong, I want to see him on offense...But him and Burns is a nice pull. I agree it we need a #1 at the top

Nah, it's definitely not an F...Malik Curtis has everything you want as an athlete. Don't get me wrong, I want to see him on offense...But him and Burns is a nice pull. I agree it we need a #1 at the top
Malik Curtis is a kick returner. Tim Burns needs a year, at minimum, to get in the requisite S&C to be in college shape.

Do you really believe that haul makes us better than we are? Does this get us closer to conference and national contention? I know you can't believe that.

Advertisement

Raise the bar a smidge? We had a very good defense last year. We had a very good passing defense last year.

Our primary problem last year was with the offense and the kicking game.

But the defense was pretty good. Could have been better.

CB recruiting could be better, but CB play has been pretty good.

Raise the bar a smidge? We had a very good defense last year. We had a very good passing defense last year.

Maybe they didn't watch the same game as us... We can win with all the CBs we have right now. I have called for the firing of Rumph because I don't think he should've been here in the first place. He should've been mentored by a Vet CB Coach. But, I have a big problem with Lynch Mob mentality. LB recruiting, LB Development, and Play is way worst than the CB position. Yet... Manny, Baker, and Patke is still here.

Advertisement

Your point is valid. The problem is where do you want to be? Yes our passing defense is pretty good, our defensive line has made our passing d look good and at times very well. But that doesn’t mean you’re content with not having an AJ Terrell on your team or a Jeff okudah or a Fred Davis.

When you’re playing the top teams and it’s close, one player can make a difference. Sometimes when it’s down to one possession or a meaningful change in momentum one of those players can be key between a win or a loss.

We don’t know what our corner backs are going to look like this year. But judging from the last two years if we were to go against Clemson and they still had Justin Ross and Frank Ladson; would you really feel confident with what we’ve shown at that position the last few years?
What about LSU with chase ant Marshall? And it won’t have anything to do with rumph. You can coach all you want but if your covering 6’2 4.4 guys with 4.8 guys your asking for trouble

Unless you have Freaks at dtackle your gonna need top dudes covering those guys in the corners.

Your point is valid. The problem is where do you want to be? Yes our passing defense is pretty good, our defensive line has made our passing d look good and at times very well. But that doesn’t mean you’re content with not having an AJ Terrell on your team or a Jeff okudah or a Fred Davis.

When you’re playing the top teams and it’s close, one player can make a difference. Sometimes when it’s down to one possession or a meaningful change in momentum one of those players can be key between a win or a loss.

We don’t know what our corner backs are going to look like this year. But judging from the last two years if we were to go against Clemson and they still had Justin Ross and Frank Ladson; would you really feel confident with what we’ve shown at that position the last few years?
What about LSU with chase ant Marshall? And it won’t have anything to do with rumph. You can coach all you want but if your covering 6’2 4.4 guys with 4.8 guys your asking for trouble

Unless you have Freaks at dtackle your gonna need top dudes covering those guys in the corners.
Williams, Blades, Clarke and Couch have legit speed.

How about the fact he openly admitted he had to see a psychologist to help with his issues in recruiting? Or, you know, the fact we can barely scrape by on cb recruiting, despite success with other groups? Or his horrid takes of being standoffish and refusing to deal with recruits on a personal level? There's a lot, but it seems like all you do is deny. Maybe that's become a habit for you?

Advertisement
I'm done with the stupid contortions you guys are doing to protect Rump. If you're happy with a guy who coaches 8 players being a complete zero recruiting, then that's cool.
"You guys act like chicks who got sweet dycked."

As opposed to sour dycked?

Williams, Blades, Clarke and Couch have legit speed.
3 of those guys haven’t played a single down yet. And one of them has barely played corner back. 2 of them are under 6 feet. and one of them got to campus at 150lbs.

Now let’s consider in the last 4 years how many corner backs at least 6 foot tall who ran a 4.5 or better that have left the tri county area. And if you include Orlando Tampa amd jville your talking some serious talent. But we’ve had to even go to the citadel to get Delaney during that time span cause we couldn’t land anyone.
Whatever this school is doing about that position is at the very least questionable.
Yes our cb recruiting is adequate and more than serviceable. But they’ve been exposed by teams who don’t have any elite receivers.

It’s like saying Iowa or Wisconsin can’t land any elite in star guards or tackles. And I would argue there are even more elite corner backs in Florida than they’re are o-lineman in Wisconsin.

Last edited:
3 of those guys haven’t played a single down yet. And one of them has barely played corner back. 2 of them are under 6 feet. and one of them got to campus at 150lbs.

Now let’s consider in the last 4 years how many corner backs at least 6 foot tall who ran a 4.5 or better that have left the tri county area. And if you include Orlando Tampa amd jville your talking some serious talent. But we’ve had to even go to the citadel to get Delaney during that time span cause we couldn’t land anyone.
Whatever this school is doing about that position is at the very least questionable.
Yes our cb recruiting is adequate and more than serviceable. But they’ve been exposed by teams who don’t have any elite receivers.

It’s like saying Iowa or Wisconsin can’t land any elite in star guards or tackles. And I would argue it’s even more elite corner backs in Florida than they’re are o-lineman in Wisconsin.
Who are the 3 who haven't played? Williams and Couch have and Blades is a returning starter. Also, keep in mind that those kids were all young last season. Still only juniors we are fine at cb. This is a position that hasn't been a weakness on the field. We have been losing games in the trenches...some of y'all need to pay attention to what goes inside. I would like our cb recruiting to get better but we coulda had two 5* out there it would not have mattered like you think. The reason why those CBs you mentioned flourish is because they play with lethal fronts. You said it yourself, "unless you have freaks at DT"...all elite teams have big-timers in the trenches. I believe Clemson 2016 won with 3* CBs....don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Miami land a 5* cb....I just think we are going a little overboard about it.....I'm confident we will likely land Brown or a solid cb in class...

You realize you're agreeing with me right? I'm literally just talking about the cb recruiting. The offense was obviously historically bad last year but that doesn't have anything to do with CB recruiting.

The cb play has been average to above average, but it needs to take another big step to be where we need it imo. To do that, the cb recruiting must improve.

Advertisement
Back