4-star CB Markevious Brown close to cutting list, talks UM

View as article
Brown (6-0, 170) was on a Zoom call with the Miami staff Tuesday and told InsideTheU that he’s been talking with cornerbacks coach Mike Rumph, outside linebackers coach and co-defensive coordinator Jonthan Patke, assistant director of recruiting DeMarcus Van Dyke and head coach Manny Diaz.

“They’re being real with me,” Brown said. “I’m very impressed with coach Rumph.”

Brown is also “extremely high” on the Hurricanes style of defense, which plays aggressively and allows the corners to play a lot of man-to-man.

The rising senior camped at UM last summer and the Coral Gables and Miami area left a lasting impression on the defensive back.

“I love the city,” Brown said. “I love everything that Miami has to offer.”

Brown had some talented guys ahead of him on an IMG Academy team that went 9-1 and finished ranked No. 8 in the MaxPreps Xcellent 25, including five-star Elias Ricks, who signed with LSU, and Ohio State signee Lejond Cavazos.

Now, as a senior, Brown envisions a bigger role for himself in the Ascenders defense,

“I’m coming in to start and play,” Brown said.

The defensive back is close with Miami freshman wide receiver Michael Redding III, saying he’s “like a brother” to him. The two would face off against one another often during practice.

“It was fun, it was competitive,” Brown said. “Actually me and him paired up a lot in practice, so it was kind of like me against him every day.”
I’m sorry...but everybody at 247 just realized this...but did this kid say Patke is co-defensive coordinator????

Advertisement
Bag excuses soon cometh. Brace yourselves.
Gotta watch this sneaky ******. Playing with different money now.
1593565064232.jpeg

Would be a huge pull for Rumph if we landed him.

🙏🏾
If you were to CB it Liberty, would you say we have a legit shot with Brown? I’m hoping Rumph pulls another one out of the hat here like he did with Tae last year. Boy would that be something of a feat yet again.

If you were to CB it Liberty, would you say we have a legit shot with Brown? I’m hoping Rumph pulls another one out of the hat here like he did with Tae last year. Boy would that be something of a feat yet again.
Yes we do have a legit shot, whether we land him or not remains to be seen, but his whole family is Canes fans so maybe we get lucky...

And Rumph didn't recruit Tae Williams, that was Banda.

Rumph last year got us Isaiah Dunson last minute.

Advertisement
We good at corner, the thing about coach rumph, he recruits and coaches just like we play at the crib, we don't give a ***** who we got, we go in knowing we still gone beat the other team no matter who they got. Coach rumph has confidence in himself and whoever is in the db room, that they will get the job done and he instills that same confidence in his players. I can careless about who comes in or who don't, as long as coach rumph is the db coach, we in Great hands over their!

Cool story bruh.

Advertisement
Yes we do have a legit shot, whether we land him or not remains to be seen, but his whole family is Canes fans so maybe we get lucky...

And Rumph didn't recruit Tae Williams, that was Banda.

Rumph last year got us Isaiah Dunson last minute.
Ah ok thanks for the clarity mate. I had thought it was Rumph. My bad. As to snagging this young man, I’d be ecstatic to have his name on the dotted line.

Advertisement
“It’ll be just whatever I feel, basically,” Brown said, adding that Miami “has the same chance the rest of the other four schools have.”

Of why UM made his top five, Brown said, “Just the relationship with the coaches and me being a Miami fan, also just the atmosphere and type of playing style that they have.”

Brown says he’s talking with coach Mike Rumph on a daily basis.

“He talks about how they’ll use me, how I fit in,” Brown said. “Probably my freshman year I’d come in at nickel, trying to see the field, then eventually the No. 1 lockdown corner.”

Film is solid to me! Need to keep bringing in talent and then develop talent to get drafted. The only way Rumph can save himself. He doesn't have to like recruiting if he can develop guys period.

Advertisement
Ah ok thanks for the clarity mate. I had thought it was Rumph. My bad. As to snagging this young man, I’d be ecstatic to have his name on the dotted line.
rumph got us christian williams too. Banda is our best defensive recruiter. you guys dont like the bar tender background but apparently that taught him how to talk to people.

rumph got us christian williams too. Banda is our best defensive recruiter. you guys dont like the bar tender background but apparently that taught him how to talk to people.

I don't think anyone will deny that about Banda, but when you try to s**t on Rumph when this kid clearly likes him, Christian Williams liked him, Dunson also liked him, and he constantly puts 4 Star Recruits on the field that's when it gets blurry in here. One dude even said "he never heard a recruit say he liked Rumph". Yet, This kid clearly speaks highly of him. You can hate anyone you want, but stick to the facts.

Number 1 fact: Surtain and Campbell were never coming here with or without Rumph.

Advertisement
Back