4-star CB Harrell recaps Miami visit this past weekend

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Since receiving his offer back in January, 2020 Miami Central 4-star CB Jalen Harrell has been a frequent visitor to UM’s campus. Harrell made another trip to Coral Gables this past weekend, his third this spring, taking in a Miami spring practice on Friday.

“It was great, the practice was fast-paced and everyone had a lot of energy and high intensity,” Harrell said. “I grew up loving the Hurricanes since both of my parents always liked them. My interest is very high, always has been.”

As mentioned, Harrell’s parents are both big Canes fans, and Harrell’s dad got to accompany him on this trip to see the local school.

“He thought it was great to watch and thought it was an explosive practice,” Harrell said. “He also liked how coach (Manny) Diaz corrected some players who made mistakes.”

The Canes are hoping to eventually pair Harrell with current CB commit Jaiden Francois, and a big pitch from the UM staff right now revolves around their lack of depth in the secondary.

“They tell me they want me at corner and that I can be a big pickup for them because there’s no depth at corner right now,” Harrell said.

As for future trips, Harrell is already set on making visits to see two ACC rivals these next two weekends, and plans on seeing more programs during the summer.

“I have a visit to Florida State this weekend, I head up over there Friday,” Harrell said. “Then Clemson next weekend, April 6th.”

Harrell plans on taking his recruitment slow and making sure he makes the right choice for his future. Among other factors, the 6’2” 180 pound prospect will base his final decision on how well he feels that program can develop him for the next level.

“I want to be committed before the season, but if I’m still not sure, I’ll stay open. I’m not in a rush,” Harrell said. “I’m looking for development and stability in the school I pick.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Well that would be great because as someone mentioned, he’s the perfect boundary CB for the Canes and would compliment Francois well. That, and we truly aren’t stacked at CB so getting more players there, and high end ones at that, is something we need to reel in come NSD.

Advertisement
He's got a good long armed frame with solid technique & is a good tackler.

He's a kid that has high upside due to his physical traits, but he's been on the come up since he was at Mater with a bunch of other prospects that transferred like Derrick Williams, Jamal Cooney & Isaiah Britt.

Idk his exact speed numbers but he looks about 4.5/4.6 which is right around what Christian Williams was last year.

And aside from his pops being a big Canes fan, Coach Jube is the new DB coach at Central he was coaching at CC last year but is a Central alum & was actually there as a player when Coach Field coached there, along with the new DC at Central Coach Sabbath.

Advertisement
Last I heard it’s Keshawn Lawrence, Fred Davis, Ethan Pouncey and Kendall Dennis are the guys on top of our board. I hope Harrell is In the group.
You can cut that list down to Keshawn Lawrence.

Davis ain't coming he's going to Clemson/Oh St or Bama, Pouncey is a Pouncey (lol) & Kendall Dennis is most likely heading to FSU with his former teammate Brendan Gant, plus he's a Lakeland kid which means it'll be a FSU/UF battle down the stretch.

KL seems to really like Miami with Corn Elder being his cousin, I think we have a real shot with him as long as we put a winning product on the field, gonna have to fight Clem & Tenn off him if we get an early commit.

We have a real good shot with Harrell & have the early lead for him, but like he said he's not rushing his decision so it's gonna be a marathon recruitment regardless of early verbal commits.

Last edited:
Advertisement
You can cut that list down to Keshawn Lawrence.

Davis ain't coming he's going to Clemson/Oh St or Bama, Pouncey is a Pouncey (lol) & Kendall Dennis is most likely heading to FSU with his former teammate Brendan Gant, plus he's a Lakeland kid which means it'll be a FSU/UF battle down the stretch.

KL seems to really like Miami with Corn Elder being his cousin, I think we have a real shot with him as long as we put a winning product on the field, gonna have to fight Clem & Tenn off him if we get an early commit.

We have a real good shot with Harrell & have the early lead for him, but like he said he's not rushing his decision so it's gonna be a marathon recruitment regardless of early verbal commits.
What about the cavazos guy?

Advertisement
Back