4-star ATH Richards details his Opening experience, where he is in the process

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2019 Wellington (FL) 4-star ATH Mark-Antony Richards was one of a few Miami targets that earned an invitation out to the Opening Finals in Frisco, Texas last week. Ever since his brother would show him coverage of the event when he was growing up, Richards has made it a goal of his to get invited to the Opening, and he talked about how his experience went in Texas.

“It was a great experience,” Richards said. “I’ve been working to go to this since I was in 6th grade, back when Ahmmon would show me the clips and it eventually led me to this. Playing with the guys was probably the best part. Everyone had the same mindset and just wanted to eat.”

Richards made most of his plays in Texas on the offensive side of the ball, scoring multiple touchdowns at receiver for Team Impact. He talked about his overall performance against some of the best competition in the nation.

“It was fun for me,” Richards said. “I’ve always wanted to go up against guys who were rated higher than me to prove myself right. So when I got the chance, I took over.”

As an athlete that played all over the field, Richards also spent some time as a safety in 7-on-7 play. Did he feel comfortable out there on defense?

“Not as comfortable as RB and WR,” Richards said.

Paradise Camp is Miami’s premier recruiting camp of the summer season and, as we’ve reported previously, Richards will be in attendance at the event later this month. He also went last season and raved about the chance to meet so many former Miami stars.

“Sure, I’ll be back. I’ve got to come see Michael Irvin and Ed Reed again. Those are guys I grew up watching,” Richards said. “There was never a day when I was growing up where I thought I’d end up on Michael Irvin’s Twitter page. I mean when I saw it, and I was like, “What?!” My mom, she actually met him, both him and Reed. It was a great experience, so I’m definitely going to go back to see those legends and spend time with them. Really, I just want to hear what they have to say and the advice they have to give me and also spend time with the Miami players and coaches. And the fact that the fans come out, I love it even more.”

Along with Miami, two other schools that are consistently mentioned among Richards’ favorites are Florida and Auburn. When asked to compare and contrast the three, Richards believes that it is the relationship with the coaching staffs that are the main difference between the programs.

“Those three that you named, I could name more, but between those three, they’re all the same,” Richards said. “Great academic schools. The areas are really nice, especially Auburn, I love that area. And the coaching staffs, they all treat me the same way, but I do feel like, with Miami and Auburn, I do have more of a family feel. The fact that my family is pretty close to coach Malzahn and also coach Richt, we really just met coach Mullen.”

What would make him pick between the three?

“It’d definitely be things like scheme fits. That’s probably the biggest deciding factor.”

As he's said all along, Richards still anticipates a December decision, unless things are still unclear to him by then. If that is the case, he'd be comfortable waiting until February to sign with his program of choice.

Advertisement
Would love to be in a room with this kid and Richt when he's pitching him his future role.

2019 Wellington (FL) 4-star ATH Mark-Antony Richards was one of a few Miami targets that earned an invitation out to the Opening Finals in Frisco, Texas last week. Ever since his brother would show him coverage of the event when he was growing up, Richards has made it a goal of his to get invited to the Opening, and he talked about how his experience went in Texas.

“It was a great experience,” Richards said. “I’ve been working to go to this since I was in 6th grade, back when Ahmmon would show me the clips and it eventually led me to this. Playing with the guys was probably the best part. Everyone had the same mindset and just wanted to eat.”

Richards made most of his plays in Texas on the offensive side of the ball, scoring multiple touchdowns at receiver for Team Impact. He talked about his overall performance against some of the best competition in the nation.

“It was fun for me,” Richards said. “I’ve always wanted to go up against guys who were rated higher than me to prove myself right. So when I got the chance, I took over.”

As an athlete that played all over the field, Richards also spent some time as a safety in 7-on-7 play. Did he feel comfortable out there on defense?

“Not as comfortable as RB and WR,” Richards said.

Paradise Camp is Miami’s premier recruiting camp of the summer season and, as we’ve reported previously, Richards will be in attendance at the event later this month. He also went last season and raved about the chance to meet so many former Miami stars.

“Sure, I’ll be back. I’ve got to come see Michael Irvin and Ed Reed again. Those are guys I grew up watching,” Richards said. “There was never a day when I was growing up where I thought I’d end up on Michael Irvin’s Twitter page. I mean when I saw it, and I was like, “What?!” My mom, she actually met him, both him and Reed. It was a great experience, so I’m definitely going to go back to see those legends and spend time with them. Really, I just want to hear what they have to say and the advice they have to give me and also spend time with the Miami players and coaches. And the fact that the fans come out, I love it even more.”

Along with Miami, two other schools that are consistently mentioned among Richards’ favorites are Florida and Auburn. When asked to compare and contrast the three, Richards believes that it is the relationship with the coaching staffs that are the main difference between the programs.

“Those three that you named, I could name more, but between those three, they’re all the same,” Richards said. “Great academic schools. The areas are really nice, especially Auburn, I love that area. And the coaching staffs, they all treat me the same way, but I do feel like, with Miami and Auburn, I do have more of a family feel. The fact that my family is pretty close to coach Malzahn and also coach Richt, we really just met coach Mullen.”

What would make him pick between the three?

“It’d definitely be things like scheme fits. That’s probably the biggest deciding factor.”

As he's said all along, Richards still anticipates a December decision, unless things are still unclear to him by then. If that is the case, he'd be comfortable waiting until February to sign with his program of choice.

From talking to him, do u get the feeling that if the staff just said ***** it, we want u as our 2nd WR instead of DB, he would be closer to committing to us now instead of waiting? Because..
“Not as comfortable as RB and WR”

As much as we talk about him playing DB & using him on both sides of the ball, it still sounds like his heart is set on playing O.

Advertisement
When he said not as comfortable playing D, that’s all I need to know. Put him as a DeeJay Dallas role. I hope this staff is not being dogmatic in their pursuit of him. Get him in Orange and Green. If the kid don’t wanna play D, then the kid don’t wanna play D.

Slipping away...
Miami is recruiting him as an athlete... stop with the overreaction

Regardless, Richards needs to be thinking which position is better for him health wise and potential earning wise in the future. You saw what duke Johnson said about running back. If you have the ability to play all 3 then rb definitely should be the last one period and it isn’t close. You can make more for a living at receiver and db than rb period and it’s less wear and tear on your body. Those 2 positions last much more longer than running back.

Advertisement
I will sah this i like him as a rb but naturally he's a better receiver. Now as long as hes continued to be recruited as an athlete we're good just dont box him in

Some of you all are so weak-minded. Dude obviously wants to go through the recruiting process, enjoy being hosted by schools, and take visits.

Ahmmon did the same thing after the coaching change, and is the person who gave Mark the exact advice to do that. He's trying to keep a stone-face and not reveal his hand up until he has the opportunity to get the full experience.

Advertisement
Recruit him as a WR / RB Utility player like DJ Dallas... fck the defensive talk he doesnt want to play it.

A WR haul of Payton and Richards is elite

We gonna have to stop with the defense ****. If he wants to play offense he’s gonna go to the school that lets him play there. Everyone he’s asked about defense he says “I’m not as comfortable there”. We better read the signs

Advertisement
If a player doesn't want to play defense trust he won't be a baller their. You have to want it to be a dog so just keep him on offense

From talking to him, do u get the feeling that if the staff just said ***** it, we want u as our 2nd WR instead of DB, he would be closer to committing to us now instead of waiting? Because..
“Not as comfortable as RB and WR”

As much as we talk about him playing DB & using him on both sides of the ball, it still sounds like his heart is set on playing O.

This was exactly my thought when reading the Opening reports and particularly reading those two quotes from this interview.

If we don't stop trying to talk this guy into playing defense, we aren't going to get him. After his Opening experience, my guess is that he's not even interested in the Jabril Peppers, two way player pitch anymore. He's probably thinking offense all the way right now, we need to be smart enough to get this guy on campus at whatever position he wants to play, and figure it out later. IMHO, he's clearly a take at WR, not sure at RB, but I'd still take him as a third RB/athlete. There's a fine line with being straight with guys and just getting the best athletes on campus and letting their talents find the best spot on the roster/depth chart.

Miami is recruiting him as an athlete... stop with the overreaction

Regardless, Richards needs to be thinking which position is better for him health wise and potential earning wise in the future. You saw what duke Johnson said about running back. If you have the ability to play all 3 then rb definitely should be the last one period and it isn’t close. You can make more for a living at receiver and db than rb period and it’s less wear and tear on your body. Those 2 positions last much more longer than running back.

There'll be plenty of time to educate him on this for 3-4 years once we get him on campus. The recruiting process is not the time to be arguing this point.

Last edited:
Sounds like a Cane.

Pretty sure he was too young to have seen Irvin play - even in the NFL.

Get him on the team and figure out a position later.

Advertisement
Back