DE Gilbert

LB AQM (pass rusher)
LB Denzel

CB Gunter
CB Howard
NB Crawford
SS Bush
FS Jenkins

Looks like a recipe to hit the seams and flats.

So, same ol' same ol'?

Si, si senor.

Nothing I like watching more than a 3rd and 7 converted by the other team. Last year, I was literally hoping for a fumbled snap, a wild throw, someone tripping or just a drop.

Wow. If my expectations aren't in check, they are now.
The past 7yrs have been brutal. We go from no offense with Kirby freeman, lance legget, our back up receiver is the punter.
To the defense we have had lately. Rough times

Advertisement
The defense we've had lately didn't have Gilbert, AQM, Porter, etc, etc. We're in for a treat if these guys a) stay healthy and b) perform the way they're capable of performing.

DE McCord
DT Pierre
DT Chick
DE Gilbert

LB AQM (pass rusher)
LB Denzel

CB Gunter
CB Howard
NB Crawford
SS Bush
FS Jenkins

Looks like a recipe to hit the seams and flats.

So, same ol' same ol'?

Si, si senor.

Nothing I like watching more than a 3rd and 7 converted by the other team. Last year, I was literally hoping for a fumbled snap, a wild throw, someone tripping or just a drop.

Wow. If my expectations aren't in check, they are now.
The past 7yrs have been brutal. We go from no offense with Kirby freeman, lance legget, our back up receiver is the punter.
To the defense we have had lately. Rough times

That's not what I expect to happen this year because I wouldn't have AQM at LB and I don't expect the coaching staff to have him there either.

And even though McCord's position is now LB, I'd expect him to be rushing the passer more than he'll be dropping into coverage this season.

I don't see us getting more than about 8 sacks out of these two. It's difficult to go from ZERO pass rush to something really good and I don't really expect that out of the front four. I still say that this pass rush will largely be decided by the performance of the back 7 and D'Onofrio's mind. That was the formula with a similar situation in the 99-2000 transition. The 2000 DL remained fairly mediocre as a pass rushing front four but they had a very good back 7 and Schiano's complexity got them their rush.

Advertisement
I don't see us getting more than about 8 sacks out of these two. It's difficult to go from ZERO pass rush to something really good and I don't really expect that out of the front four. I still say that this pass rush will largely be decided by the performance of the back 7 and D'Onofrio's mind. That was the formula with a similar situation in the 99-2000 transition. The 2000 DL remained fairly mediocre as a pass rushing front four but they had a very good back 7 and Schiano's complexity got them their rush.

I agree completely. Unless we're transitioning from a bull rush technique to more of a jet or speed technique, I don't see the pass rush improving a lot. My hope is that our rush defense improves significantly and that translates into teams throwing into coverage where we get a bunch of interceptions and takeaways.

Question for both Dynasty & PennMed. Do you guys think we can double our sack totals? I hate that we didn't get Bond in because I think we could have use his speed. I don't expect much from an undersized sophmore & true freshman.

What did we have last year (13?)? I think we will be a little better. Again, it depends on how we use our edge/speed rushers. If they are allowed to use speed and turn the corner, I feel we could double the production. If it is the same bull rush stuff, it's going to be tough.

Question for both Dynasty & PennMed. Do you guys think we can double our sack totals? I hate that we didn't get Bond in because I think we could have use his speed. I don't expect much from an undersized sophmore & true freshman.

26 sacks would be a reasonable goal but I don't think that's Donofrio's focus anyway. Because we don't have a dominant defense it's unlikely that his approach will change. He'll still hang his hat on three areas--third down defense, red zone defense, and takeaways. If you produce there, you take a very ordinary defense and make it a more than adequate complement to a good offense.

Advertisement

26 sacks would be a reasonable goal but I don't think that's Donofrio's focus anyway. Because we don't have a dominant defense it's unlikely that his approach will change. He'll still hang his hat on three areas--third down defense, red zone defense, and takeaways. If you produce there, you take a very ordinary defense and make it a more than adequate complement to a good offense.

He's already stated he wants to put more pressure on the qb. I think/hope he understands how awful he was last year.

However he decides to play this season, I doubt we'll see much more than base coverages and blitzes against FAU.

We'll have to wait until September 7th to see what he'll bring this season.

If we don't have the most exotic gameplan any of us have ever seen for this Florida game I'll be a hot potato.

Advertisement

Was it just me, or were we the worst at all three last year, ESPECIALLY 3rd and 4th down defense? (The only stop I remember was that 4th and inches against GT in OT)

I agree completely. Unless we're transitioning from a bull rush technique to more of a jet or speed technique, I don't see the pass rush improving a lot. My hope is that our rush defense improves significantly and that translates into teams throwing into coverage where we get a bunch of interceptions and takeaways.

Yes. The rush d concerns me more than anything. Every handoff last year was an automatic 6, 8, 10 yard gain. Guys usually weren't touched until they were at least 5 yards downfield. It was absurd. When it's that easy to run, it opens up everything. Fix the run d and other things will fall in place. I actually have high hopes because 1. we have fortified our 2 deep with experienced upperclassmen (gilbert, kamalu, renfrow) and 2. the returning guys all seem to be bigger, stronger and in better shape. At the very least we shouldn't be getting blown off the ball like we did last year.

Advertisement

I think you'll definitely see more 9 this year, but a complete divergence from the "contain" technique would be surprising. The entire defense's improvement hinges on that supposed zone communication being patched up. I'd be lying if I said I won't hold my breath the first time we drop 7 on 3rd and 9.

Yes. The rush d concerns me more than anything. Every handoff last year was an automatic 6, 8, 10 yard gain. Guys usually weren't touched until they were at least 5 yards downfield. It was absurd. When it's that easy to run, it opens up everything. Fix the run d and other things will fall in place. I actually have high hopes because 1. we have fortified our 2 deep with experienced upperclassmen (gilbert, kamalu, renfrow) and 2. the returning guys all seem to be bigger, stronger and in better shape. At the very least we shouldn't be getting blown off the ball like we did last year.

Absolutely. As far as I'm concern it is imperative that we stop the run on first and second downs. We simply can't afford to let teams have both phases of the game because it kills momentum and wears out the defense. Priority one is to stop the run by any means necessary. If we get this phase under control I really believe we will see a better defensive unit in general. A unit that gets the offense additional scoring opportunities. If that happens, UM's offense would put pressure on opposing defenses by making them log major minutes. It's a front runner's mentality where our defense can generate turnovers as a result of playing with the lead. The goal is to stop the run and get turnovers from the back seven.

Our stated goal is to hold team under 125 yds rushing a game. It is part of the team goals in the new Schwartz Center. If we can do that, you have to assume that we will give up no more than 200 yds passing a game. 325 to 350 in total defense would be a huge jump for us.

Advertisement
Back