#38 in RPI

canesproponent

Sophomore
Looking like a 36-19 season.

Our pitching cost us 3 games thus far this season. Hopefully, it improves...... It looked like it was the team's strength coming into the season.

UM needs to win this weekend's series. FSU is reeling and we just won a tough series in New England conditions. Pittsburgh is an admittedly poor team, but it was at their stadium and the conditions were abysmal. Hopefully pitching hit a nadir in Pittsburgh......

Advertisement
36-19 seems about right. Columbia was a horrible loss. But other than that, the losses haven't been that bad. That's the difference between this year and the past 2 years.

I wouldn't bet on that being the pitching nadir.

Pittsburgh is a bad offensive team and they came alive against our pitching.

Upcoming 10 games are very important because they are against poor (RPI) opponents.

91, 90, 90, 90, 175, 175, 108, 108, 108, 175.

We should come out of that 7-3 or better, otherwise a post-season berth starts looking dicey.

Advertisement
Hello, Peter. What's happenin'?

Yeaaaahhh...

We had records comparable to 36-19 in the following years and our RPI remained decent prior to "Selection Sunday". Admittedly, I did not research strength of schedule versus those years and 2019. Pitching will probably get worse......

2009 (38-22) #14 RPI
2011 (38-23) #15 RPI
2012 (36-23) #16 RPI
2013 (37-25) #18 RPI

Upcoming 10 games are very important because they are against poor (RPI) opponents.

91, 90, 90, 90, 175, 175, 108, 108, 108, 175.

We should come out of that 7-3 or better, otherwise a post-season berth starts looking dicey.

Yes. 7-3 over the next 10 games sounds right.

Looking like a 36-19 season.

Our poor pitching, awful defense, weak plate discipline, and mind numbing base running cost us 3 games thus far this season. Hopefully, it improves...... It looked like it was the team's strength coming into the season.

UM needs to win this weekend's series. FSU is reeling and we just won a tough series in New England conditions. Pittsburgh is an admittedly poor team, but it was at their stadium and the conditions were abysmal. Hopefully pitching hit a nadir in Pittsburgh......

there. fixed it for you.

Advertisement
We had records comparable to 36-19 in the following years and our RPI remained decent prior to "Selection Sunday". Admittedly, I did not research strength of schedule versus those years and 2019. Pitching will probably get worse......

2009 (38-22) #14 RPI
2011 (38-23) #15 RPI
2012 (36-23) #16 RPI
2013 (37-25) #18 RPI

Another guy who ignores conference placement.

there. fixed it for you.

Why do you even watch the games?

I saw one horrible error on Sunday by the 3rd baseman. Our 'error %' is comparable to prior years. Base running improves week to week. Plate discipline is much better than prior years (much, much better).

We lead the ACC in batting. I am not worried at all about base running and errors. Am worried about our pitching. We win both the Florida and North Carolina series with pitching comparable to 2018. We win game three of the NC-State series if Federman does not implode over three measly outs....

Fielding and base-running are not costing us these games, and I can see an improvement in these facets.... Pitching is the problem.

Why do you even watch the games?

I saw one horrible error on Sunday by the 3rd baseman. Our 'error %' is comparable to prior years. Base running improves week to week. Plate discipline is much better than prior years (much, much better).

We lead the ACC in batting. I am not worried at all about base running and errors. Am worried about our pitching. We win both the Florida and North Carolina series with pitching comparable to 2018. We win game three of the NC-State series if Federman does not implode over three measly outs....

Fielding and base-running are not costing us these games, and I can see an improvement in these facets.... Pitching is the problem.

yes I did watch.

and I don't go on a sample of one game, but just because you and I agree pitching is the biggest problem with this team, doesn't mean fielding isn't just as equally troublesome. and any improvement in that area, in my view, if it's there at all, hasn't been significant enough to make a difference.

yes I did watch.

and I don't go on a sample of one game, but just because you and I agree pitching is the biggest problem with this team, doesn't mean fielding isn't just as equally troublesome. and any improvement in that area, in my view, if it's there at all, hasn't been significant enough to make a difference.

We are fielding at a 0.961% clip versus 0.971% in 2015 and 0.983% clip in 2016. We had nationally seeded teams both of those years....

You are quibbling about 0.015%, which is = to .00015................

Advertisement
We are fielding at a 0.961% clip versus 0.971% in 2015 and 0.983% clip in 2016. We had nationally seeded teams both of those years....

You are quibbling about 0.015%, which is = to .00015................

If that's how you think numbers work, I would love to be your banker.

Fielding percentage is a bum stat, but a .961 fielding percentage is absolutely not 0.961%, it's 96.1%. If it were 0.961%, that means we would be committing errors on 99% of chances, which it does seem that way sometimes.

If that's how you think numbers work, I would love to be your banker.

Fielding percentage is a bum stat, but a .961 fielding percentage is absolutely not 0.961%, it's 96.1%. If it were 0.961%, that means we would be committing errors on 99% of chances, which it does seem that way sometimes.

Who cares!

It has not cost us a game. Pitching is the culprit. We are a top-10 team if we pitch comparably to 2018.

Bytching about fielding is bytching for the sake of bytching.

Advertisement
Again, amateurs rely on "Fielding Percentage". Bad defense comes in all forms: missing a cutoff man, throwing to the wrong base, bobbling a double play ball and only getting one out, etc. You don't have to make an error to make a bad defensive play.

Agree. Mental errors do not always show up in the Box Score.

Advertisement
Back