#38 in RPI

I was writing fast and made a mistake, but 96.1% versus 98.3% is not keeping me up at night. 2% over the course of a season is miniscule. Could care less!

What concerns me is losing a game in the bottom of the 9th when we were leading by 4 runs.

At UNC, we immediately went up by 3 and our pitching folded. Same thing in the second game at UF. we walk their worst hitter and UF tears the game open.

It is heartening to see Veliz pitch against Pittsburgh's best player, with the bases loaded, and win the game in the bottom of the 9th. Why not focus on how the team "dug in" and won. Did you see that is was snowing? Probably not.

We still play UVA, Duke, BC and VTech, which are the worst teams in the ACC. We have the same record as FSU, but are ~53 slots higher in the RPI. Why? Well...... because we play 4 of the worst teams in the ACC in the latter half of the season, and already played 3 of the 5 best.

We are looking at a 10-game swing in wins this season and a #6 recruiting class...

The gnome guaranteed that we would not make Omaha in 2015 and 2016. Now we have to hear that it was a fluke. The only fluke is that gnome has the ability to spell.

Advertisement
Again, amateurs rely on "Fielding Percentage". Bad defense comes in all forms: missing a cutoff man, throwing to the wrong base, bobbling a double play ball and only getting one out, etc. You don't have to make an error to make a bad defensive play.

Again, nobody on this forum is using cutoff man and range when they mention bad defense.

This is a dodge.

Again, nobody on this forum is using cutoff man and range when they mention bad defense.

This is a dodge.

If you followed game threads (and didn't disappear during 6-game losing streaks) you would see that this stuff is mentioned all the time.

Advertisement
I was writing fast and made a mistake, but 96.1% versus 98.3% is not keeping me up at night. 2% over the course of a season is miniscule. Could care less!

What concerns me is losing a game in the bottom of the 9th when we were leading by 4 runs.

At UNC, we immediately went up by 3 and our pitching folded. Same thing in the second game at UF. we walk their worst hitter and UF tears the game open.

It is heartening to see Veliz pitch against Pittsburgh's best player, with the bases loaded, and win the game in the bottom of the 9th. Why not focus on how the team "dug in" and won. Did you see that is was snowing? Probably not.

We still play UVA, Duke, BC and VTech, which are the worst teams in the ACC. We have the same record as FSU, but are ~53 slots higher in the RPI. Why? Well...... because we play 4 of the worst teams in the ACC in the latter half of the season, and already played 3 of the 5 best.

We are looking at a 10-game swing in wins this season and a #6 recruiting class...

The gnome guaranteed that we would not make Omaha in 2015 and 2016. Now we have to hear that it was a fluke. The only fluke is that gnome has the ability to spell.

Despite his control issues, that is why he needs to remain the closer. Brian Garcia was money most of the time, even though he often had innings like that. And Federman did a nice job as well of keeping his composure after Gil booted a tailor made double play ball. But the player of the game has to be Van Belle, as he came through when we needed that kind of start.

I am not as non caring as you that the defense won't lose us some more games, since a lot of the errors (and mental errors that don't show up in stats) have been in high stress situations and critical parts of the game. But I do agree that if the pitching is more like Sunday, we should be fine. It's the lack of consistency that keeps us all wondering how good this team is/can be.

Somehow, though, you still defend the roster management that got us there.

I've never defended that particular failure. I just weigh it against everything else that they did and, because I'm not a child like you, I don't whine about it.

I could also see that it was going to be short-lived.

Advertisement
We're not in roster purgatory right now.

So two years at most.

I actually think only one since last year was the class that turned it around.

Two years missing the postseason and a third year where we're fighting off Pitt for a 2-1 series win. That's 2+ years.

Advertisement
Sample sizes are still giving you trouble all these years later.

It's not a question of sample size. It's a question of how many years roster mismanagement cost the program. Right now it stands at 2+ years. How did you manage to drag sample size into this?

2+ years of mediocre baseball = "small sample size"

Vandy loses two games as a national seed = "Corbin choked"

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back