30 X 13=11?

Go Canes!!

Leading the charge
Premium
Did a quick search to compare our offensive output vs top programs over the last three seasons. Wasn't surprised to see how badly our offense has been in comparison and how many losses could have been wins had we had any type of solid, consistent offensive output.

I understand it's an arbitrary number and situational football isn't accounted for, but using 30 points scored as the baseline, came up with this breakdown.

Number of games below 30 points scored in 2017, 18 and 19:

Bama 7 (5, 2, 0) Overall 38-4
Clemson 11 (5, 3, 3) Overall 41-3
Ohio State 7 ( 3, 3, 1) Overall 38-4

Miami 24 (8, 8, 8) Overall 23-16

Now the number of games with 30 points ALLOWED by season:

Bama (0, 2, 3)
Clemson ( 1, 1, 1)
Ohio State (3, 5, 0)
Miami (3, 1, 2)

Imo these stats show an offense so bad it left little or no margin for error. It also showed if we score 30 in every game of this very week schedule and 11 wins is a definite possibility.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Did a quick search to compare our offensive output vs top programs over the last three seasons. Wasn't surprised to see how badly our offense has been in comparison and how many losses could have been wins had we had any type of solid, consistent offensive output.

I understand it's an arbitrary number and situational football isn't accounted for, but using 30 points scored as the baseline, came up with this breakdown.

Bama (0, 2, 3)
Clemson ( 1, 1, 1)
Ohio State (3, 5, 0)
Miami (3, 1, 2)

Imo these stats show an offense so bad it left little or no margin for error. It also showed if we score 30 in every game of this very week schedule and 11 wins is a definite possibility.

Amazing. If we didn’t suck, we wouldn’t suck.

Interested to see how the defense does this year. They have been on the field a lot the past few years & if we are going to be running at the tempo expected there are instances where there will be on the field a whole lot

Advertisement
Interested to see how the defense does this year. They have been on the field a lot the past few years & if we are going to be running at the tempo expected there are instances where there will be on the field a whole lot
The D is used to being in the field a lot since 2017. We’ve been leaving them on the field more than fast paced spread teams leave their D in the field I feel like. They should be used to it. Maybe if we score more it will give them a little more life and confidence in the W

Bama (0, 2, 3)
Clemson ( 1, 1, 1)
Ohio State (3, 5, 0)
Miami (3, 1, 2)

good thread Op.Now I wonder where the defense ends upnow that we have a modern tempo offense. Normally you see the defense give up more points. However it’s all irrelevant if we score enough to win.

good thread Op.Now I wonder where the defense ends upnow that we have a modern tempo offense. Normally you see the defense give up more points. However it’s all irrelevant if we score enough to win.

Thanks man. Posted our second half offensive numbers against Duke a while back. We were slow in tempo but never ran more than 3-4 plays so our offense sabotaged our defense as the game wore on.

Got to sustain drives. Tempo is one thing, stalled drives cause we can't convert on 3rd down is another. Got to do that way better!

Advertisement
More math:

33 players on the rooster have been here for two or more seasons. 45 arrived here since Diaz took over. Of those 33 players only 13 play defense.

Last edited:
We’ve been awful in 2 of the 3 phases of football for years and good in 1 phase. On top of that, leadership from our HC has been terrible.

Not so sure scoring a few more points per game miraculously fixes everything, but I’m excited to watch the new offense. I couldn’t imagine going into another season with everything the same as 2019.

It just depends on how much we score. If we continue to rank out of the top 100 in 3rd down %, our D is screwed. If we actually score points, it will allow the D to be aggressive and take a lot of chances.

Here's hoping for the best.

Advertisement
That assumes there will be a lot of 3 and out series. If we are going to add a TD per game more given having Lashlee and his offensive schemes, I’d argue that we will have less 3 and out series than we did in 2019. We all saw how scoring amped up the defense, and honestly; we had a ton of 3 and out series last season - with a better offense this is going to be come a wash at best.

Advertisement
Our defense was man handled by a bad FIU squad. Anyone with eyes knows our defense was pedestrian last year. But continue to fall for bogus numbers.
Our D was shot by the end of the year. It happens when your O can't do jack crap. Like others have said, there is ZERO room for error when your O is that bad. If our O was scoring 30+ a game, our D would be in a much better situation. Will it be perfect? Nope. It would be good enough to win 10+ games, easily.

Agree. Fixing 3rd down is one of the most important things Lashlee has to do this season,
To do that you must be better on 1st and 2nd down. We must get positive yardage on 1st and 2nd down to make 3rd more manageable.
When your in 3rd and 11 every **** time, it is difficult to be any good on 3rd down conversions. Must stop the sacks and gain positive yards on 1st and 2nd not lose 5. That is how you fix the 3rd down issues. We just weren't very good on any downs.

No offense intended but these kind of stats are funny.

If we scored more points we would have won more games. I think that goes without saying. Isn't that the entire point of the game. All the changes on O. This works for every team.

Our D was shot by the end of the year. It happens when your O can't do jack crap. Like others have said, there is ZERO room for error when your O is that bad. If our O was scoring 30+ a game, our D would be in a much better situation. Will it be perfect? Nope. It would be good enough to win 10+ games, easily.
It takes a real jackass to win less than 10 with the schedules we’ve had. Our D isn’t bad but it’s inflated by short field drives. Also, any time the game was on them for a stop they folded. Good defense not great.

Advertisement
Back