3-Star Offensive Lineman Plazz Commits to Miami Hurricanes' 2024 Recruiting Class

View as article
I can understand the praise for Mario and Mirabal's evals at OL in the context of finding players like you mentioned. Someone like Kinsler, for example, was obviously a great get for us last year and he's someone the recruiting services were likely far too low on

I was more speaking to the general comments some have been making about Mario's ability to evaluate 3*'s across the board as a coach without just zeroing in on the OL. His greatest success as a recruiter and coach has overwhelmingly been with top-tier players.
Mario will be the first to tell you we need more blue-chippers and a higher recruiting ranking. He’s obsessed with that stuff.

Advertisement
BylsmaPump.gif

I understand the praise for Mario and Mirabal's evals at OL in the context of finding players like you mentioned. Someone like Kinsler, for example, was obviously a great get for us last year and he's someone the recruiting services were likely far too low on. Tinalau also has massive upside and that's the type of recruit you'd love to see Mario and Mirabal get the most out of.

I was more speaking to the general comments some have been making about Mario's ability to evaluate 3*'s across the board as a coach without just zeroing in on the OL. His greatest success as a recruiter and coach has overwhelmingly been with top-tier players.

I was specifically talking about Mario and the OL w/r/t Plazz. But I think many believe that Highsmith and the evaluation staff are as good at it gets. Combine that with getting on kids earlier who may start out as lower ranked but work their way up to high star ratings, and many/most fans feel good with our ability to have good outcomes regardless of composite scores when the kids commit.

I understand the praise for Mario and Mirabal's evals at OL in the context of finding players like you mentioned. Someone like Kinsler, for example, was obviously a great get for us last year and he's someone the recruiting services were likely far too low on. Tinalau also has massive upside and that's the type of recruit you'd love to see Mario and Mirabal get the most out of.

I agree. I think the evidence shows that Mario is very good at getting high-ranked players to put pen to paper. But I don't see the evidence that shows he has a special ability to find underrated players and turn them into NFL-caliber prospects.

Advertisement
Look, I know how quick the neighborhoods shift from St. Johns to Duval around there, but I went to HS in Florida in the 1980s, I didn't think it was that easy/permissible to send your kids to a different county.

I guess a lot has changed...
State legislature basically put open enrollment on the books a few years ago but when it comes to living in one county and attending school/playing in another, all you need is an address. Most people use a relatives address

I'm going to bookmark this page, because it has serious Gaytor Tears potential...

If Deryc develops into a solid talent, let's never forget that the TWO Gaytor OL coaches failed to identify a kid who lives an hour from Gainesville...

...meanwhile, they are taking 0-star OLs from Germany who have dancing backgrounds...
We have Canes fans legitimately up in arms over UFs July class ranking.

Lezzzzz be honest.....they have no QB. Can't wait to see the class implode.

so, is the sky falling or not? We got two high priority players since we got warning that our class was going to implode faster than a submarine made of tin cans on its way to the Titanic.

Advertisement
I like the eval on this kid... think he'll be more productive than McLaughlin & Chris Washington. He has good feet, good build and he finishes blocks.

What mid-level 3 star OL prospects has Mario recruited and developed into NFL prospects? I honestly can't think of any.
In just this past NFL draft Alex Forsyth was a 3star and M Laulu was a NR Juco. TJ Bass was a very good college player and I believe was picked up by the Cowboys. They had a walkon guy (cant remember his name) that although not an NFL guy was pretty solid for Oregon last year as well.

That line last year was very good and a large chunk of them would fit the description as good 3star or lower evaluations.

Advertisement
Advertisement
on a serious note, measurables now matter(more than ever) at UM. No longer will this program be recruiting guys who are considered long-range development guys, or projects, not have at least a certain size, length and weight to their frames.

At the very least, they will look the part...

It all starts with recruiting the Mamas, I couldn't agree more that their measurables are key. An good gawd Mama Plazz fits the preference for producing linemen.

#ThickThighsMakeBigLives

Go Canes

How to pronounce his name? Back that Plazz up? Pla(zz)usible.

Congrats & welcome young man!

I just feel based off the past 20 years we shouldn’t be banking on 3 🌟 projects at this moment as a program if we want to eventually reach the likes of Georgia & Alabama on a consistent bases.
Since we don't kno how many player is gonna do in the future. We can't have that attitude you never know how a player is gonna develope!

Advertisement
Back