3 Reasons we're even better than what we saw!

Cane44

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
3 aspects that can make us even better than Saturday once cleaned up.

1) 115yards of Penalties is pretty much an outlier, not the norm. Cut that in half and we're cooking

2) 2 ST botches inside the 10. Giving them 14points. Not the norm

3) 1 TE target.... This offense plus getting our TE's in the mix once Arroyo is 100%

Advertisement
Good point about the penalties

We keep pointing to the huge special teams disasters but holy **** the penalties were killing us

I expected a couple of holding calls dealing with their DEs but yeah we really had some bad ones that would be getting highlighted if we had lost

(How you come out of a timeout and have 13 guys on the field…)

I was not really informed but is Skinner in the dog house or hurt? Would love to see him more involved like last year.

1) 115yards of Penalties is pretty much an outlier, not the norm. Cut that in half and we're cooking

3) 1 TE target.... This offense plus getting our TE's in the mix once Arroyo is 100%
Perhaps, you can say similar things about several of our positives:

1. Kick 6 return
2. 3 turnovers
3. Crowd making lots of noise!

What I say is things even out and usually the best team wins. We clearly are a better team. Our speed on Defense is a weapon. Tyler Van Dymes is back! The Oline can get you in several ways.Those three things hold lots of weight.

Don't crown us yet, but "We Coming"

Advertisement
Perhaps, you can say similar things about several of our positives:

1. Kick 6 return
2. 3 turnovers
3. Crowd making lots of noise!

What I say is things even out and usually the best team wins. We clearly are a better team. Our speed on Defense is a weapon. Tyler Van Dymes is back! The Oline can get you in several ways.Those three things hold lots of weight.

Don't crown us yet, but "We Coming"
yeah I get ya... hopefully those things become the norm as well.

Advertisement
And Ray Ray still on the leash.
CJ still on the squat rack.
Arroyo eating raw beef hearts and liver recovering.

Harrel
Chase Smith
The Brothers Washington.
RPO or Wildcat with JB

The bag is still half full.

Seems like the run game was used to keep them Honest.
But there were a few runs that went for first downs and even more on key drives and key moments.

If we hadn’t fallen behind so quick with the mistakes I fell like we would’ve pounded them into submission.

Don’t think the game plan was to go full pass happy. We just needed to score points and shrink that 14 point special teams blunders.

If you look at the replay our oline still got some huge wholes on that 5 star dline even when we showed run.

The bounce back from 2 huge turnovers deep in our end early in the game.....

I can't remember the last time we came back from something like that against even a bad team. We usually go in the tank after that.

The fact we bounced back vs a quality Top 25 team - that has me excited that we're much more mentally tougher than we've been in a long time

Advertisement

Not sure penalties are an outlier. We had 8-60 game 1 and 10-115 game 2. I don't think we're necessarily undisciplined, but-and call me a homer-I think refs call us different than other teams so at least I expect penalties to always be called against us.

I didnt pay enough attention but was Miami keeping the TE to block most of the time?
We split out McCormick and definitely Williams quite a few times when we went twins on both sides. Our starting 3 wide outs caught 17 of 21 completions. Horton caught the 18th. Sometimes you go with the hot hands. McCormick got a really nice seam pass. He is going to be the forgotten guy and should get a target or 2 a game.

Advertisement
We split out McCormick and definitely Williams quite a few times when we went twins on both sides. Our starting 3 wide outs caught 17 of 21 completions. Horton caught the 18th. Sometimes you go with the hot hands. McCormick got a really nice seam pass. He is going to be the forgotten guy and should get a target or 2 a game.
The pass to McCormick was one of the TVD’s best snaps of the day. McCormick was a secondary read. TAMU largely ignored our TEs. On that play, they overplayed TVD’s initial read, TVD patiently looked off (may have even half pulled back the trigger), and quickly fired to McCormick. I hope there is a ton more where that came from.

We also had 4-5 drops. If George catches that absolute dot from TVD in the end zone, and a few others, what’s the score?
I thought I counted 3 drops. George, Young, Restrepo.

But take away the blocked punt, George's muff, and if George catches that td it's not even close.

As said above, the penalties are gonna be present in most games. Especially ACC play. Refs love hounding us for some (obvious) reason.

Advertisement
Back