3/23/24 Game 23: ND 12-10 L

Advertisement
Very true but why is our 2nd baseman being a spectator watching versus covering the bag.

Yeah we can't see him on the whole play but he would have been down the RF line for the cutoff. He's got to get back in the play, but in his defense, the runner was stupid for going back to second.

Perfect Game Showcase hitters. They don't know what to do when the guy on the mound is trying to get you out.
What you really mean is fastball hitters. This generation glorifies the fastball too much that you throw them anything else you might as well have spoken to them in Chinese.

Granted, I think we’re complaining about the wrong thing here. This team can hit, we just don’t have the pitching to survive when they go cold…”Looks at JD”.

His usage (JL) since he’s been with the program has been a total ******* ****storm.

I imagine there has to be stuff behind the scenes for his short leash he’s had since he stepped foot on campus.

But as a fan that watches **** near every pitch every season it’s One of the most mismanaged players I can remember at miami baseball wise
You're 100% right. Long is our best defender and with speed. He has to play everyday regardless of how he's hitting.

What makes matters even more agregious is we have no other outfielder on the team with his speed and range. Plus, we're getting very little production out of RF. It makes too much sense to move Villegas to RF and Long the everyday CF.

Last edited:
What you really mean is fastball hitters. This generation glorifies the fastball too much that you throw them anything else you might as well have spoken to them in Chinese.

Yeah I think they are cut from the same cloth.

Advertisement
Guys should just get on an airplane tonight. Grab a hot chocolate and if they behave I am sure the coach will give them extra whipped cream. No need to risk catching a cold.

Fact is JD was there when we weren’t so good and had a hand in recruiting current players and also in the lack of development of players who have been there. We used to play small ball and at the same time had players who could leave the park when needed.

I would make a change mid season but I am a big fan and hate losing. Freakin Notre Dame baseball.

Granted, I think we’re complaining about the wrong thing here. This team can hit, we just don’t have the pitching to survive when they go cold…”Looks at JD”.
They're not even hitting the fastball when it mid 80's because that's offspeed to them. I really can't understand the guessing when a guy throws an 87 mph fastball and an 80 mph curveball.

Just sit on location and rake. It shouldn't matter what he's throwing. We look bad because we guess.

I have a theory that we are so wrapped up in analytics that our hitters are making assumptions about what type of pitch is coming in certain counts. I guess you could call it an educated guess.

Advertisement
Guys should just get on an airplane tonight. Grab a hot chocolate and if they behave I am sure the coach will give them extra whipped cream. No need to risk catching a cold.

Fact is JD was there when we weren’t so good and had a hand in recruiting current players and also in the lack of development of players who have been there. We used to play small ball and at the same time had players who could leave the park when needed.

I would make a change mid season but I am a big fan and hate losing. Freakin Notre Dame baseball.
That’s the issue. You hire a coach who has been there through 10-20 years of average baseball. So you reap what you sow as they say.

They're not even hitting the fastball when it mid 80's because that's offspeed to them. I really can't understand the guessing when a guy throws an 87 mph fastball and an 80 mph curveball.

Just sit on location and rake. It shouldn't matter what he's throwing. We look bad because we guess.

I have a theory that we are so wrapped up in analytics that our hitters are making assumptions about what type of pitch is coming in certain counts. I guess you could call it an educated guess.
We don’t have good recognition at the plate. A lot of these guys can’t tell the difference between a FB and offspeed and on top of it swing at pitches out of the zone a lot and get into bad counts because of it.

Thank you. I needed a good laugh. There are so many holes that are getting exposed this weekend.

JD had been the pitching coach for over 20 years. He's responsible for the recruitment and development of the pitchers. I don't give him a pass as some in the media have said he didn't get a chance to get portal players because of the timing of his hiring.

To my knowledge we only lost 1 pitcher to the portal. He should have had arms on deck not needing to rely on the portal. The portal has become a crutch for bad recruiting and poor development.

I think we go back-and-forth between a team that overswings to try to hit home runs, and then a team that is afraid to strikeout so we swing early.

Advertisement

i think you’re in the right direction but it has more to do with their gameplan. We are extremely inconsistent when it comes to working a count. A couple of guys are good at it like Cyr, Torres, Carrier, and Scanlon hence the improvement of the last 2 but other than that Cuvet started swinging at breakaway off speed leading to his cold spell, Villegas started swinging at the first strike he sees, etc.

You've mistaken us for a program that is serious about baseball. I was embarrassed just looking at these 20 year-olds wearing hoodies and bank robber face masks to play a sport.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back