3* 2021 LB Eric Gentry Hits the Portal

I think I see where you are coming from, are you implying this could have recruiting implications down the line?

Regardless IMO this is a bad take, you don’t pass up on talent just because a player with a similar skill set already exists on your roster. If people are high on Chase and they display the same skill set/body type wouldn’t you want two of the same player?

At the end of the day Mario doesn’t owe anyone anything especially playing time..that’s some Manny Diaz seniority type thinking there. If Gentry becomes a cane does that make him any less of a cane just because he transferred here..think about all the transfers that have made an impact for us.

You always take talent and stack it, feelings get hurt along the way but when you are trying to build a program that competes for titles you stack talent no matter what.
It's a ridiculous take. If Chase is better he'll win the job. So if he's in his feelings about a guy transferring in, win the f'n job.

Advertisement
mikefarrellsports.com/author/mfarrell01/

LB Eric Gentry is likely headed to Southern Cal. But what’s fascinating about this is that I’ve talked to a few schools who think he could have an NIL deal in the works there for more than $1 million. NIL sure is going to be interesting as locker rooms and rosters deal with the discrepancy in who makes what.

LB Eric Gentry is likely headed to Southern Cal. But what’s fascinating about this is that I’ve talked to a few schools who think he could have an NIL deal in the works there for more than $1 million. NIL sure is going to be interesting as locker rooms and rosters deal with the discrepancy in who makes what.

If that rumor is true the kid must really enjoy the west coast. Surprising though he wouldn't go visit other schools to hear out their pitches.

If that rumor is true the kid must really enjoy the west coast. Surprising though he wouldn't go visit other schools to hear out their pitches.

Sometimes it's best to not ***** up a great offer. You take it in the room and don't look back. $1M, LA, conference familiarity, and that offense is going to be a hard situation to beat.

Sometimes it's best to not ***** up a great offer. You take it in the room and don't look back. $1M, LA, conference familiarity, and that offense is going to be a hard situation to beat.

Makes sense. Hopefully another LB puts their name in before this Sunday. Would like to see us get one more at that position.

Advertisement

Again, I know it's become popular to dunk on California, especially in conservative circles, but I think people fail to forget just how much money is in the Golden State. To put it in perspective, its GDP is that of Florida and Texas COMBINED.

They got stupid money out there and no D1 school is beating USC when it comes to spending on this NIL ****, unless Stanford decides they want to play too.

Last edited:
Again, I know it's become popular to dunk on California, on, especially in conservative circles, but I think people fail to forget just how much money is in the Golden State. To put it in perspective, it's GDP is that of Florida and Texas COMBINED.

They got stupid money out there and no D1 school is beating USC when it comes to spending on this NIL ****, unless Stanford decides they want to play too.
If Cali were a nation its GDP would rank it as the 5th richest nation in the world, just behind Germany.

Gtfoh

Advertisement
Again, I know it's become popular to dunk on California, especially in conservative circles, but I think people fail to forget just how much money is in the Golden State. To put it in perspective, its GDP is that of Florida and Texas COMBINED.

They also have a similar population to TX n FL combined. They do have money but FB isn't a priority like it is in the South so let's see how this turns out.

With all that money Cali still lost the Raiders and are about to lose the As.

They also have a similar population to TX n FL combined. They do have money but FB isn't a priority like it is in the South so let's see how this turns out.

With all that money Cali still lost the Raiders and are about to lose the As.
And that is the question.

It's a matter of want, not ability. As of now, it looks like USC wants it. But those Cali fans are pretty fickle with their foosball.

The Lake show is still King out there.

You aint wrong. It feels like it's set up now for the rich to get richer (us included). The best teams can sign the best classes and the guys that don't work out can be swapped out for better players entering their junior year that have proven themselves at lesser schools.

Mesidor being the example for us. That player would never even be available under the previous rules. Alabama unfortunately is using this at the highest level possible. Get most of your high school recruiting evaluations correct and for the one's you don't you call the Louisville receiver who is at 30 yards per completion.

I thought Philly was one of their core recruiting areas? Am I wrong?

Sure, but I don't think every single player who enters the Portal is trying to find "the shortest distance that Mom has to drive" as the primary determining factor.

Amarius Mims? Yeah, maybe. EVERY Portal kid? No. A lot of them will be making business decisions, not "can mom drive over to do my laundry" decisions.

Advertisement
$1M for a LB? LOL

So basically every 1st, 2nd, 3rd team freshman/sophomore/junior AA's should all just jump in the portal and see what someone is willing to throw at them and transfer. And CFB becomes a total clusterf***

Unless you regulate NIL (not sure at this point how this can be done) only other option is NCAA indirectly managing it - ex. making it much more difficult/restrictive to transfer (must still out 1 year no matter what, transfer twice and lose year of eligibility, etc.)

Where’s Rovell, Ira?!?! The uproar!

Advertisement

They have stupid money but dont care about football.

**** half of the wack jobs want to outlaw the sports for kids.

Advertisement
Back