2nd Scrimmage Breakdown

Udynasty

Redshirt Freshman
So a friend of mine broke down Gabby and Lake 2nd scrimmage podcast. Here are the notes he took:

OFFENSE!

* TVD was TVD
* Jake Garcia needs work on Gattis’s playbook. Lake says he needs to stop forcing throws & sometimes go conservative or throw it away.
* Jacurri up & down. Just typical freshman things.
* Drops (not so great)

* Rooster is gonna be RB1. Staff is keeping him in healthy with limited snaps. Being VERY cautious on him.
* Thad & Parrish ran the ball just fine.
* Davon Perry looked decent (walk on RB)
* Chaney’s injury is hopefully a 6-8 week thing… yikes

* WR - the biggest question mark of the entire team. Make or break basically
* Ladson & Smith most likely starters on the outside. They like Keyshawn as WR1 right now. “Frank is frustrating the most” says he isn’t using his body like he should.
* X looks good, had a drop in the scrimmage. Predict him to get 800 ish receiving yards.
* They need to win more 50/50 balls. Not enough contested catches. It was more of 25/75. It could also mean the secondary is seriously legit.
* Mello, George, Smith flash, need more consistency. Thinks if Ladson & Keyshawn struggle these guys are going to play a lot more.
* Jacolby was the only one with a receiving TD. (YIKES).
* Cannot drop the ball or you will get benched. Lake thinks this is another possible Pope/Wiggins situation…
* Sounds like they are throwing the ball and trying to utilize TVD at his best.

* TE group looks fantastic. Arroyo is gonna be the starter with Mallory injured.
* Expect two TE sets. Skinner is going to play.

* Jalen Rivers = STUD
* John Campbell has taken a big improvement. Still needs work but has been serviceable
* The group is good. The coaches are happy with the O Line.

* They really like Gattis & confident he’s gonna do his job just fine. Plenty of praise for him. Potential HC one day they mentioned.

DEFENSE!

* They think the defense is going to be borderline great / elite.
* “Darrell Jackson is a freak” Lake thinks him, Mesidor, Agude are game changers.
* Harvey is very talented & athletic. Thinks he’s the 1B for Agude.
* JHH & LT “20-25 snaps” make those plays.
* Chantz Williams “talented and very athletic” 20-25 snaps.
* Jake Lichtenstein “freak, his length is gonna be important”
* Moultrie is “very quick”
* It’s going to be a lot of personnel on the offense they face. But sounds like the transfers are going to start. Mario fixed that room quickly.
* David Lake: “deepest group in my 15 years working for Miami” 😎😎😎
* DL group is stacked. Strongest part of the team other than safety & TVD. Much much better than 2021. They think it can be as good as Clemson.

* Linebacker play is “serviceable”
* Caleb Johnson is going to start. Says he’s super strong and has shocked some players he’s tackled.
* Keontra Smith needs improvement. Execution isn’t 100% there.
* They think Steed & Johnson are the two primary starters. It’s more of experience at first who’s gonna play more. Staff wants to see Wesley & Chase in games more before giving them more playing time.

* James & Tae looked fantastic. Safety room loaded
* Rique was at STAR. Looked good
* Te’Cory Couch has been locking down ****!
* Couch & Porter can play nickel
* Rique, Dunson, Frierson more physical guys.
* “The D line group is going to help the secondary” 😎😎😎😎

They said the A&M game is a big test & game you’ll see how the team is. The coaching has been fantastic. Much praise for Addae & improving the secondary significantly. Players will play more on certain schemes they face. Georgia Tech for ex. “9 personnel groups on defense” Lake thinks they’ll have a top 30 defense.

Advertisement
Appreciate this dude. Already saying this could be another Pope/Wiggins situation is pretty strong. Problem is with those two back in 2020 is when they dropped balls, they didn't get benched. That quickly changed last year with the lack of PT both guys saw. If you start dropping balls with this staff, you bet your *** is getting benched.

I figured Mallory would be good to go to start the year but if they have to keep him out for the first game I'm ok with that. Arroyo and Skinner could hold it down but need Will back for A&M.

I assume the OL will have a 7 man rotation once Zion is back.

Very interested to see this DL rotation. Sounds like they are deeper than the 2017 DL.

Here's to staying healthy going into 9/3. Hopefully Don isn't out the 6-8 weeks those slapdicks at 247 claim.

No disrespect to gaby and lake or any reporters doing their job and thanks for the post …

But **** i wish someone was there to tell us what the offense and defense are doing lol like i can guess based on steele and gattis previous jobs but it would be cool to know about whats going on football/scheme wise rather than just little notes on players that in reality might not mean much lol. Like we already know we have talented athletes lol

Advertisement
Ladson has the tools to be elite. Does he have the dog in him is the question. He’s a guy you coach hard and really push, because his ceiling is ridiculous if he puts in the work.

If he drops balls, bench his ***. He’s too talented to be ******* around dropping ****

So basically Defense is very deep and can be very good. LBs need to get better.

Offense will be okay and can be good/great if WRs grab the ball. TEs will be involved and are great.

A & M will tell us everything we need to know about how good we really are.

Basically people have observed what many of us people at home have been speculating along with those who have reported for this site have been speculating for many months now.

No disrespect to gaby and lake or any reporters doing their job and thanks for the post …

But **** i wish someone was there to tell us what the offense and defense are doing lol like i can guess based on steele and gattis previous jobs but it would be cool to know about whats going on football/scheme wise rather than just little notes on players that in reality might not mean much lol. Like we already know we have talented athletes lol
The offense and defense will look different from game to game.

That is the most exciting part about this whole new regime in my book.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Fully trust Mario & staff with roster management but I never understood how the WR room wasn’t addressed (Ladson doesn’t count). It’s very average/suspect.

With the extra Covid year-we will see a lot of teams will be as deep as they have ever been. So yeah, we need to consider that the competition will be better than ever too. I will be conservatively optimistic.
Most of the teams on our schedule though are either :
1) Breaking in new QBs.
2) Breaking in new Coaching staffs that on paper are not as good as ours.

So those things should also help you get a bit more optimistic.

Advertisement
Appreciate this dude. Already saying this could be another Pope/Wiggins situation is pretty strong. Problem is with those two back in 2020 is when they dropped balls, they didn't get benched. That quickly changed last year with the lack of PT both guys saw. If you start dropping balls with this staff, you bet your *** is getting benched.

I figured Mallory would be good to go to start the year but if they have to keep him out for the first game I'm ok with that. Arroyo and Skinner could hold it down but need Will back for A&M.

I assume the OL will have a 7 man rotation once Zion is back.

Very interested to see this DL rotation. Sounds like they are deeper than the 2017 DL.

Here's to staying healthy going into 9/3. Hopefully Don isn't out the 6-8 weeks those slapdicks at 247 claim.
welcome back.

We made serious runs for Jordan Addison, Zay Flowers, Xavier Worthy, etc but we just didn't close the deal on those guys. It definitely wasn't a lack of effort.
Facts; to the point where I have messages from before the deadline stating that for the aforementioned two that they had informed their schools of their intentions to transfer to Miami. What sort of bull**** that transpired to keep that from happening? Well, we know. We were the school that was mentioned for both that ‘almost got them to transfer’ but guess what? Those schools got desperate and overpaid to keep them. In the case of Zay, it was also some really ****** agent games and that situation was resolved three different ways over as many days. It happens. There was no lack of effort LMAO.

Advertisement
Back