2nd annual: Ranking the Understated 2024 Signees

Here's the second version of this: https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/ranking-the-understated-2023-signees.182563/

You can go back and rate last year's list. As imagined, some of those players are still awaiting their opportunities.

My rankings are based on what I observe as perceived attention/mentions vs talent. To be clear, this isn't a "favorite" or "prediction of best" thread.

1. Artavius Jones - I've loved this recruit since the first time I watched him catch a TE screen and juke his way toward the sideline. Just elite feet for what will become a legit 300 pound man-child in the middle. It's easy to get "lost" when you committed relatively early and, right there next to you, is a 5 star recruit like Justin Scott. What I like most about Jones' game is that, while he has supposedly recorded some eye-popping strength numbers, those feet do work. He's a discus/shotput guy, so that's a hint. But, then he's a near double/double basketball player. I think the young kids say something like "tell me you can move without telling me you can move." We don't even need to play Jones early, but so happy to read that he's apparently an Early Enrollee.

2. Ny Carr and JoJo Trader WR duo - This is really a post about Ny Carr, but I'm mentioning JoJo Trader because he, too, can easily get lost in the attention because of his fellow 5 star teammate who went to OSU*. As for Ny, I often judge WRs by their movement skills and acceleration. For WRs, I consistently use a key metric: how badly can this guy scare our defense - specifically, with acceleration, cuts, and angles. I'm not comparing Ny to Santana because they're seemingly built (physique) differently. But, I saw some similarities in their movements: the gliding/hanging in the air for jump ball throws, the wicked acceleration off of one cut, and the ability to obliterate clear Safety angles. No idea about his verified times or weights. Just that this is a guy who I believe will produce far more than he's being given attention, which I guess makes some sense given the chase for the #1 recruit in the nation.

3. Marquise Lightfoot - He committed a while back. He stayed steady. He hasn't shown any drama. So, it's easy to forget a relatively high level 4 star DE. Will he make an immediate impact? I have no idea, but I've consistently said we need a leap from a Wide 9 type of Edge. Next year, Mesidor and Bain will presumably have the DE spots locked down. NKelly has not yet lived up to what we all hoped. Can Lightfoot gain the requisite weight and technical skills to make a move into the rotation? I hope so. Either way, his talent and frame indicate he will show out way above the attention I perceive he's been given.

4. Hayes and Pruitt LB duo - In a normal year, Hayes would be a superstar flip. Somehow, he went ho-hum because it came slightly after a perceived "big loss" on NLI day. This is a message about Hayes, but I wrote in Pruitt, too, because I see two sky high ceilings for the types of LBs I've begged we recruit: modern LBs who can run, run, run and cover. Will Hayes grow into a DE? To me, he looks like an OLB in a 3-4, a natural rusher in a 3-3-5, but someone with the skill to run sideline to sideline, too. Very excited to see him, though I don't expect a lineup breakthrough early on.

5. CJ Clark - This simply has not gotten the fan waves commensurate with the production I expect from him. We lost LTaylor and I expect CJ Clark, perhaps less naturally talented than LT, to replace his production and even give us a more natural fit in certain alignments. This was a great evaluation, IMO.

Honorable Mention:

A. Zach Carpenter
- I had to balance this one out because lots of people have seemingly given this player credit as an "immediate starting" Center from the portal. However, this is a HUGE deal because it stabilizes the line. Rather than force someone to move inside and send a domino effect across the line, we now have the real option of trotting out a comfortable lineup that looks almost exactly like last year's. However, it gives us the flexibility to, who knows, try Rivers at LG and see if someone proves they're a better LT than Rivers was for us in 2023.

B. Elija Lofton - The quintessential "football player." He could likely play multiple positions for us and he was committed for so long and with minimal drama. He also doesn't have the "prototype" height for the TE position, so while many are excited about him, he simply doesn't get the attention and excitement his talent deserves. We shall see what we make of it.
Man this is a PHENOMENAL write up! I agree with everything in it! Outstanding work brother

Advertisement
Still have no idea how a guy who produces like him with his measurables at his classification of high school football is rated as low as he is.
Im sure he’s a great player, maybe he didn’t attend camps or test that well. But sometimes a guy can just ball

Great list

I feel like chance is getting lost in all of this, i liked his junior film more than jojo’s he looked much more polished as a wr but i gotta see the senior tape.

I love McConathy. No way that dude is a 3 star. Has the measurables and the production against big time competition to match. Expecting him to be a big time player for us
He’s my pick for the most under rated guy he just looks too good to be a 3*

They were saying good things about Dylan Day on Locked On Canes, saying Guidry grabbed one right from under LSU.
was Day being chased by any other school down the stretch? I don't mean that as a diss, I'm just curious. I don't think I heard his name come up once after his commitment, extremely quiet recruitment, not much movement in his ranking etc. it's interesting since he plays in Baton Rouge and not some backwater, you'd think mid to low level SEC schools might be after a solid 3 star kid committed outside of the region, but as far as I know there was nothing about Ole Miss, Miss St, Arkansas etc making a play for him.

Advertisement
was Day being chased by any other school down the stretch? I don't mean that as a diss, I'm just curious. I don't think I heard his name come up once after his commitment, extremely quiet recruitment, not much movement in his ranking etc. it's interesting since he plays in Baton Rouge and not some backwater, you'd think mid to low level SEC schools might be after a solid 3 star kid committed outside of the region, but as far as I know there was nothing about Ole Miss, Miss St, Arkansas etc making a play for him.

Not sure. Brian Smith on Locked On Canes said he loves the kid, saw him make the game winning interception to put his team into the playoffs. Said he can play boundary corner or safety, super versatile, great hips, legit 4.5 speed. Other than that, I know nothing about this kid's recruitment except Guidry loves him. Hopefully Guidry specials > Manny specials.

There were some absolutely freakish DTs in this years class. Breland, Stone, Scott….all wild to watch

But like you when I saw Jones’ film I’m like if you took away all the numbers and told me this dude is the #1 recruit in the country…I would be like yeah I get that. I’ve never really seen film like it before

Not putting those lofty expectations on him but just removing myself from the ranking biases

I’m also all about the LBs so everything you said was spot on

He’s a STRAIGHT DANCING BEAR. Feet move like he can play in coverage.

@LuCane I trust your eye and believe you have a knack for talent.

I'm working through a ranking of the recruits and watched Pruitt. Sell me on him if you can.

I saw a player that had a lot of negatives in the games I watched. Now, one game was against the best team he played (Saraland), so maybe it was a bad game or he was sick or something?

The Office Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
I'm higher on Lightfoot than I am on Scott. I've heard mixed reviews on Scott from people here.
Mixed reviews?

Advertisement

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231222_203413_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231222_203413_Chrome.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 0

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231222_203554_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231222_203554_Chrome.jpg
    552.5 KB · Views: 0
Ole miss offered marshall Baylor west Virginia among them

Advertisement
@LuCane I trust your eye and believe you have a knack for talent.

I'm working through a ranking of the recruits and watched Pruitt. Sell me on him if you can.

I saw a player that had a lot of negatives in the games I watched. Now, one game was against the best team he played (Saraland), so maybe it was a bad game or he was sick or something?
To be fair, the post was about Hayes, and I mentioned Pruitt because I like that we’re moving toward ‘modern LB’ traits. I like Pruitt as a flyer/upside player, like our Bissainthe or a guy like Yasir Abdullah, for example. Comparing their general raw ability; not a comparison or play or level.

Here are the ‘for’ argument notes:

- I’m speculating he puts in 30 pounds (over time) on his frame and mostly maintain his athleticism

- it’s rare you see that kind of pop from a [currently] slight frame/weight. That tells me high level of bend and hip explosion. You usually see that from multi-sport guys (I don’t know if he plays other sports; he should have).

- if he grows into that aforementioned weight, and maintains most of that acceleration, you can play him in hybrid roles and sub packages. I value position flexibility in back 7 coverages.

- in his Junior film, he breaks down in the open field a couple times that automatically looked better than guys we previously had at Safety - a hybrid/tweener Amari Carter is an example. This kid, in a very small sample size, at least moved his feet better in open space. If he flops here, he can go to Duke and play striker, I guess. Ha.

- he filled the alley a few times on his film where I thought ‘ok, solid enough angles.’

- in his Junior film, they played him over the slot a bunch and he moved ok (though if you gave me the task of arguing *against* him, I could use this, too, to support that he didn’t exactly show any technique in his drop)

- he seemingly loves contact and seeks out blockers (the opposing argument is he doesn’t use his hands too well when he does or tries to set the edge)

- he closes…fast. I don’t have any verified times, but in the limited HL films, he appears to change direction ok a few times.

Again, to me, this is a developmental kid like Abdullah (though I’m not sure this kid is a legit future sub 4.5 guy). Raw prospect with a lot of attributes. You easily take these swings and see if coaching/development nets a 2 year starter down the line.

*amateur view from about 10-11 minutes of HL film.

Curious to read what you see in his game.

More kids in this class play in September vs last years. They are both exceptional, but the only thing this years class lacks to be ridiculous is the QB and maybe a CB.

More kids in this class play in September vs last years. They are both exceptional, but the only thing this years class lacks to be ridiculous is the QB and maybe a CB.

Not sure about that. We had obvious holes at starter in 2023 plus injuries that opened up opportunities for Francis, Bain and Fletcher. Those don't exist right now except at Safety and maybe corner, depending on what the Browns do. I think Mario fills any gaps in the two deep with portalers.

Advertisement
Not sure about that. We had obvious holes at starter in 2023 plus injuries that opened up opportunities for Francis, Bain and Fletcher. Those don't exist right now except at Safety and maybe corner, depending on what the Browns do. I think Mario fills any gaps in the two deep with portalers.
We had the 3rd most freshmen minutes in the country last year didn’t we?

Can’t see us doing that again

Thanks, Lu. I liked the analysis, but wanted to comment on Hayes since I‘m a linebacker (and Safety) snob.

I think Hit Man is a true Mike. I’m not contesting that he has the physical ability to play edge in an odd look. But Mike takes a certain type of mental makeup, instincts, great lateral movement, etc. which I think he has. Need to see him some more to say for sure.

He may grow into an edge type body, but I think he can and should stay at Mike. Kind reminds me of those old school guys the Patriots would employ like a Dont’a Hightower (6’3 260) who played inside, but could provide depth outside on the 53 man roster.

Good thing is Guidry’s system loves to employ hybrid types. I see him stepping right into Kiko’s shoes. Mainly a true Mike, but able to come off the edge at times when we run the nickel bear front set to the field. If he’s able to fulfill his Mike responsibilities (at 6’4 230+) it creates an invaluable stoutness in run fits. We saw it last season with Kiko, who is a similar build at 6’3 230ish.

This dude. The question is how many positions on offense and defense will he play for us? The hands on this guy are better than some tight ends and he played one year. That basketball quickness and agility shines. This tape is crazy? Artavious Jones!

To be fair, the post was about Hayes, and I mentioned Pruitt because I like that we’re moving toward ‘modern LB’ traits. I like Pruitt as a flyer/upside player, like our Bissainthe or a guy like Yasir Abdullah, for example. Comparing their general raw ability; not a comparison or play or level.

Here are the ‘for’ argument notes:

- I’m speculating he puts in 30 pounds (over time) on his frame and mostly maintain his athleticism

- it’s rare you see that kind of pop from a [currently] slight frame/weight. That tells me high level of bend and hip explosion. You usually see that from multi-sport guys (I don’t know if he plays other sports; he should have).

- if he grows into that aforementioned weight, and maintains most of that acceleration, you can play him in hybrid roles and sub packages. I value position flexibility in back 7 coverages.

- in his Junior film, he breaks down in the open field a couple times that automatically looked better than guys we previously had at Safety - a hybrid/tweener Amari Carter is an example. This kid, in a very small sample size, at least moved his feet better in open space. If he flops here, he can go to Duke and play striker, I guess. Ha.

- he filled the alley a few times on his film where I thought ‘ok, solid enough angles.’

- in his Junior film, they played him over the slot a bunch and he moved ok (though if you gave me the task of arguing *against* him, I could use this, too, to support that he didn’t exactly show any technique in his drop)

- he seemingly loves contact and seeks out blockers (the opposing argument is he doesn’t use his hands too well when he does or tries to set the edge)

- he closes…fast. I don’t have any verified times, but in the limited HL films, he appears to change direction ok a few times.

Again, to me, this is a developmental kid like Abdullah (though I’m not sure this kid is a legit future sub 4.5 guy). Raw prospect with a lot of attributes. You easily take these swings and see if coaching/development nets a 2 year starter down the line.

*amateur view from about 10-11 minutes of HL film.

Curious to read what you see in his game.
I appreciate the reply. He won't be ranked very high in the ordinal ranking, but he's a take in my view for his hybrid abilities to fill a role and should be an excellent special teams player.

Originally, when I read you post, I read it as you having him as being very highly rated for you and wanted to read your thoughts on him.

Your notes have some of the same things I saw. In fact, he looked a little better in the S type situations he was placed in for much of what I saw, but he's not a S, of course, because he will put on weight like you said.

Reminds me quite a bit of what I thought about James Williams coming out (only with everything turned down a few notches). Hoping he can find a role that fits for him because I don't really see a straight position for him that I think he will be starting caliber at for Miami.

Players change all the time, so a review of a player before he's even enrolled is not a finale.

Advertisement
Back