26 Spots on the Boat: Pre-Fall Camp Edition

Advertisement
YIKES!!! It's Too Late

RB Crispian Atkins – A Butch Jones “Winner in Life” for making it this far and earning a scholarship in the first place as a former walk-on.

FB Trayone Gray – Switch to FB means Miami career likely ends with a whimper.

TE Brian Polendey – Needs to make vast improvements to not get passed up by the freshmen.

OG Zach Dykstra – Already passed right up by the true freshmen in spring.

OG Bar Milo – Ditto.

DE Terry McCray – Move to DE leads to late-career renaissance and he gets drafted. Probably.

DT Tyreic Martin – Have heard zero about him this entire off-season.[/QUOTE]

Great write up. Just reading the list top to bottom got me really excited about the depth we have. Lots of freshman are having an impact in CFB today and if we can get production in the 18 class like we did the 17 class we can go a long way..

Advertisement
Our rotation will be interesting. So you think it goes:

Ford, Tito, Miller
Willis, Bethel, Nesta

3rd down might see Jackson and Willis or something like that.
I think that will be the grouping but bethel is a guy that will play both DT spots. And i do see jackson being inside on 3rd down with willis.

Advertisement
Stefan, Can you elaborate a little on your comment on McCray? Do you see something there? I’m surprised he’s still on the roster. “Get drafted?” Help me.

Harley will definitely be in the rotation. Probably the best blocker in that unit (how many bubble screens did we run last year?). I could see him having a Berrios type of career. Slightly behind the curve but comes up big in his later years once he polishes his routes.

Advertisement
The DL really needs some of the young guys to step up. If they do, we can be more creative with sub groupings. Garvin and Rousseau, if they can provide some nice waves, allow, on say, 3rd down, to kick in Jackson...If Tito can give us some solid Anthony Moten type production with his (hopefully) <400 snaps, it allows you to use Nesta a little more creatively to help create that interior rush.

Would like to see us use the big boys at WR a little better...thought Rosier, when asked to hit Langham and Cager on skinny posts and slants he did fine. They had big wide catch radius' that negated Rosier's poor ball placement. The same throws ended up incompletes when tried with the shorter guys. Also, who fills Berrios' role as the 5-10 yard outs from the slot guy or the guy who finds and sits in a zone as the dumpoff is going to be important. His feel for that slot and getting open and making clutch catches is going to be tough to fill. Curious to see who fills that role. It won't be Richards or Thomas or the tallboys...so seeing if someone can fill that roll is going to be interesting...a lot of clutch situations last year were created by Berrios and his feel for that slot role. Not sure if anyone can do that right now.

I don't see Jordan Miller taking 2 years to contribute. By all accounts he is a very strong kid, and the size is already there. The only concern I have with him this early is stamina, which won't be a problem playing 15 snaps a game.

He will get a chance to show what he can do early, with the new redshirt rules.

Advertisement
Not 100% certain, but I believe it's Jordan Butler. Wanted to spend all day watching them, but I was hearing QB's would be more interesting.
FWIW, Feagles catches a lot of heat on this board, but he was constantly digging snaps out of the dirt. I’d like to see those snaps up around the belt a bit more.

But I am more interested in QB and O line play, so keep on keeping on.

Advertisement
Back