Whats your favorite Al Golden-ism or quote?

k9cane

Senior
The man knows how to turn a phrase and get his message across. I think he's the best communicator UM has had since the days of Jimmy and Howard, who could really rally the troops and the fan base with their words. What's your favorite Golden-ism?

Some of my favorites:

- The one about needing coal-shovelers as the heart of your football team( in other words, you need role players and blue-collar guys)

- Needing more gas than gauges( no yes-men is what he's saying)

- You're philosophy is what you say, your identity is what you do( this one explains itself)

- The one about UM being self-conscious when recruiting against the likes of Alabama, that they should own South Florida.That was some real Schnellenberger stuff, right there....

- 'Are you kidding me, this is the U," at his opening presser, when asked why he accepted this gig. I love this line. He drew the line in the sand right away. He added,"This is the greatest brand in college football."

Or when asked about the Penn St job, he answered,"Well, I have a job, that's Joe Paterno's job. I got the greatest job in the country." ( I was doing self-high fives at that moment).

- And my two favorites are when he talks of 'Playing like Miami Hurricanes'- which means playing at a certain standard. And 'protect this brand'- which means that what men like Jerome Brown, Jim Kelly, Steve Walsh, Edgerrin James, Ray Lewis, Eddie Brown, Ed Reed, Bennie Blades, and a multitude of others started, there is an expectation to maintain and move forward

Advertisement
The man knows how to turn a phrase and get his message across. I think he's the best communicator UM has had since the days of Jimmy and Howard, who could really rally the troops and the fan base with their words. What's your favorite Golden-ism?

Some of my favorites:

- The one about needing coal-shovelers as the heart of your football team( in other words, you need role players and blue-collar guys)

- Needing more gas than gauges( no yes-men is what he's saying)

- You're philosophy is what you say, your identity is what you do( this one explains itself)

- The one about UM being self-conscious when recruiting against the likes of Alabama, that they should own South Florida.That was some real Schnellenberger stuff, right there....

- 'Are you kidding me, this is the U," at his opening presser, when asked why he accepted this gig. I love this line. He drew the line in the sand right away. He added,"This is the greatest brand in college football."

Or when asked about the Penn St job, he answered,"Well, I have a job, that's Joe Paterno's job. I got the greatest job in the country." ( I was doing self-high fives at that moment).

- And my two favorites are when he talks of 'Playing like Miami Hurricanes'- which means playing at a certain standard. And 'protect this brand'- which means that what men like Jerome Brown, Jim Kelly, Steve Walsh, Edgerrin James, Ray Lewis, Eddie Brown, Ed Reed, Bennie Blades, and a multitude of others started, there is an expectation to maintain and move forward

It makes for a really boring thread when you steal all the best ones in the first post. The man talks the part, that's for **** sure.

There are a few to think about. Let me get back to you about it because

...(wait for it)...

it's a process.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I loved when Golden said he wanted a "powerful" team.

It's been a log time since we've just overwhelmed people with our strength and explosiveness.

We need to get that back, especially on defense. I want an elite defense again.

Not my favorites, but can't leave out ...be the same guy everyday and, of course ... at the end of the day. Do kind of enjoy when he says ... the only way to bag a classy lady (see Susan Miller Degnan) is to give her two tickets to the gun show...

Advertisement
Back