247 Sports Mock Draft has Phillips top 5

Advertisement
Am I reading that mock draft wrong, or does it have Kyle Pitts as the #4 overall selection in the NFL draft? Off the top of my head, Winslow and Vernon Davis were #6 overall picks. I can't think of another TE taken that high in the draft. But, I've got history only back to the 80s. Would a #4 overall pick make Pitts the highest selection ever for a TE? Mind you, Pitts is good, but cot****.

Am I reading that mock draft wrong, or does it have Kyle Pitts as the #4 overall selection in the NFL draft? Off the top of my head, Winslow and Vernon Davis were #6 overall picks. I can't think of another TE taken that high in the draft. But, I've got history only back to the 80s. Would a #4 overall pick make Pitts the highest selection ever for a TE? Mind you, Pitts is good, but cot****.
He look like a cheat code out there man..

Advertisement
Hey, I gave and give him credit. He looks exceptional this season. But, cot****. Highest selected TE in the history of the sport?

You can't really view talent > draft slot as a linear relationship when you have issues of team needs relative to draft slots, depth at the position in the class and quality of other positions.

The other thing is the TE is used very, very differently now than it was 30 years ago. It's not really that big of a deal.

Advertisement
You can't really view talent > draft slot as a linear relationship when you have issues of team needs relative to draft slots, depth at the position in the class and quality of other positions.

The other thing is the TE is used very, very differently now than it was 30 years ago. It's not really that big of a deal.
I think a point I tried to make is that the mock draft author seems full of ****. For example, he has the Dolphins selecting a Guard with their 2nd 1st round pick and calling it a tremendous get. Problem is the Phins paid out Flowers (LG) and drafted a relatively successful RG who's playing as a rookie. He has Micah Parsons falling to #15, which would be highly surprising. In other words, I believe this particular mock draft is not much more than throwing darts at the wall.

I have no idea where Pitts will ultimately go, but a historical outlier is a **** of a rise. Plus, your point about team needs and draft slots is one I'm vehemently against. You don't reach for the TE in the top 5 because you may lose Hunter Henry. I mean, you can, but it's horrific value. It brings to mind many of the Phins' terrible "need-based" picks.

I'm aware of how the TE position has changed in 30 years. Even so, take a look at recent TE picks. TJ Hockenson went #8 overall in 2019 and that doesn't look awesome right now. In 2020, no TE was taken in R1. I disagree taking Pitts over a whole host of premium positions is not a big deal. I think you want more value out of a Top 5 pick. We can come back to this thread, I guess. If the Chargers bypass all those premium players who play premium positions to take Pitts #4 overall, I'll eat my serving of crow, but patiently wait for the pick to later seem like giant reach.

Another issue with these mock drafts, other than having teams in the Top 10 draft for need, is that they don’t project trades. QB hungry teams trade up...Cincy or San Diego will be looking to trade down with a team that wants Wilson or Lance.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Pitts isnt even a TE at the next level. Probably plays 70%+ split out wide in the league. His draft position is essentially whatever the top receiver off the board could be.

So the crowd who still thinks he’s a 2-3 round guy can go sit down now. 2nd mock draft that’s had him in the top 5. (CBS did as well) So people are taking notice that he’s at least a first round talent. Mind you this isn’t the preseason Mock either. End of the year mock drafts are usually more accurate.

So the crowd who still thinks he’s a 2-3 round guy can go sit down now. 2nd mock draft that’s had him in the top 5. (CBS did as well) So people are taking notice that he’s at least a first round talent. Mind you this isn’t the preseason Mock either. End of the year mock drafts are usually more accurate.
This is the CBS mock draft. 24/7 hit a copy and paste

Advertisement
Back