247 Reporting ACC...

Advertisement
Why not? Dabo ended Al Golden. 2x Dabo can certainly end Manny. Dabo can be the grim reaper for crappy UM coaches.

So you think the 2019 team was actually good and Diaz is the main reason the team stunk? I'm curious as to why. Was it that he inherited a 10 game winning team? Maybe you forgot, they won 7 the year before. Was it that we had an elite QB that Diaz mismanaged? Well let's see where Williams is now... Garden City Community College. Recruiting- he had a stacked team, right? So on the roster he had classes ranked:

2016- 22
2017- 12
2018- 8
2019- 27

Thats looks to be about good enough for an 8 win team. So I guess you can legit be mad that Diaz didn't win 8. Of course if he had, we would probably have Enos as OC, Butch Barry as OL coach, and Ed Reed wouldn't be in the house.

If you aren't impressed with Diaz's recruiting right now, it really sounds like you are just being a troll. When Richt retired and Diaz had to pick up the pieces after a 7-6 season, Diaz managed to salvage the 15th ranked class. Compare that to "legendary recruiter" Richt only ending up with the #22 class after an 8-5 season and Golden's dismissal. Coming off a 6 win season, Diaz landed one of the most coveted transfer QBs and two stud OL. Right now Miami is sitting at #12, and that's before we get the expected commitment from at least 1 5 star, and maybe a couple more surprises. When it's all said and done, Miami finishes top 8, minimum. So Diaz will have pulled a better class in his 1st full season recruiting than Richt ever did.

In college football, the Jimmy's and Joes are way, way, way more important than the x's and O's. Dabo didn't turn Clemson into the program they are now by being a coaching prodigy. The dude was selling life insurance a couple years before becoming HC. He was, however, a tremendous recruiter and fortunately for the school, the Clemson AD wasn't as blinded by a bad season as you seem to be. If Diaz keeps recruiting the way he is, I'm going to be a lot more forgiving about the record as I think it bears fruit in year 4 (if Diaz can make it that far) and Miami will be playing in the national championship game. You can't keep hitting reset every time a coach has a bad season or you will constantly interrupt the process of replenishing the talent on the team.

So you think the 2019 team was actually good and Diaz is the main reason the team stunk? I'm curious as to why. Was it that he inherited a 10 game winning team? Maybe you forgot, they won 7 the year before. Was it that we had an elite QB that Diaz mismanaged? Well let's see where Williams is now... Garden City Community College. Recruiting- he had a stacked team, right? So on the roster he had classes ranked:

2016- 22
2017- 12
2018- 8
2019- 27

Thats looks to be about good enough for an 8 win team. So I guess you can legit be mad that Diaz didn't win 8. Of course if he had, we would probably have Enos as OC, Butch Barry as OL coach, and Ed Reed wouldn't be in the house.

If you aren't impressed with Diaz's recruiting right now, it really sounds like you are just being a troll. When Richt retired and Diaz had to pick up the pieces after a 7-6 season, Diaz managed to salvage the 15th ranked class. Compare that to "legendary recruiter" Richt only ending up with the #22 class after an 8-5 season and Golden's dismissal. Coming off a 6 win season, Diaz landed one of the most coveted transfer QBs and two stud OL. Right now Miami is sitting at #12, and that's before we get the expected commitment from at least 1 5 star, and maybe a couple more surprises. When it's all said and done, Miami finishes top 8, minimum. So Diaz will have pulled a better class in his 1st full season recruiting than Richt ever did.

In college football, the Jimmy's and Joes are way, way, way more important than the x's and O's. Dabo didn't turn Clemson into the program they are now by being a coaching prodigy. The dude was selling life insurance a couple years before becoming HC. He was, however, a tremendous recruiter and fortunately for the school, the Clemson AD wasn't as blinded by a bad season as you seem to be. If Diaz keeps recruiting the way he is, I'm going to be a lot more forgiving about the record as I think it bears fruit in year 4 (if Diaz can make it that far) and Miami will be playing in the national championship game. You can't keep hitting reset every time a coach has a bad season or you will constantly interrupt the process of replenishing the talent on the team.

Dabo didn't win until he had Venables and a good OC.

Advertisement

2016- 22
2017- 12
2018- 8
2019- 27

The University of Miami football program has accomplished less with more talent over the past 15+ years than any collegiate program in any sport in the history of college athletics. I give a rat's fart about recruiting ratings and potential at this point. The name of the game is Ws, and Manny sucks just like the rest of them.

The University of Miami football program has accomplished less with more talent over the past 15+ years than any collegiate program in any sport in the history of college athletics. I give a rat's fart about recruiting ratings and potential at this point. The name of the game is Ws, and Manny sucks just like the rest of them.

In the last 40 years, only one coach has taken a 7 wins or less team and turned them into 10 game winners in his 1st year on the job. Gus Malzahn. Thats it. One in 40 years. So if you think Diaz should have won 10 games- that belief is, for lack of a better word, retarded. Winning 8 or 9 might have given you a chubby and a good feeling going into 2020, but it would also have doomed the team to further mediocrity. We don't change to a spread offense, we don't ditch a useless OL coach, we don't have a stud QB transfer. After seeing the moves Diaz made because of his bad 1st season, anyone with a brain would pick the 6 win season and the changes to the offense over a "turnaround" 9 win season and the same offense next year.

If you want to say he sucks and can't get W's after year two, so be it. To want him fired for going 6-7 with a team that went 7-6 and was so broken it caused the HC to quit is beyond dumb.

Last edited:
In the last 40 years, only one coach has taken a 7 wins or less team and turned them into 10 game winners in his 1st year on the job. Gus Malzahn. Thats it. One in 40 years. So if you think Diaz should have won 10 games- that belief is, for lack of a better word, retarded. Winning 8 or 9 might have given you a chubby and a good feeling going into 2020, but it would also have doomed the team to further mediocrity. We don't change to a spread offense, we don't ditch a useless OL coach, we don't have a stud QB transfer. After seeing the moves Diaz made because of his bad 1st season, anyone with a brain would pick the 6 win season and the changes to the offense over a "turnaround" 9 win season and the same offense next year.

If you want to say he sucks and can't get W's after year two, so be it. To want him fired for going 6-7 with a team that went 7-6 and was so broken it caused the HC to quit is beyond dumb.

First of all, Manny shouldn't have gotten the job to begin with (after no search). But that's water under the bridge. If we beat every team on the schedule that we had more talent than, we would have had 10 wins last year. But that's the story of just about every season in the last 15. This isn't rocket science. I'd say you're falling for the banana in the tailpipe, but it's worse. You're watching the bananas get loaded in the tailpipe and still falling for it.

Advertisement

I see you're a glass high full kinda guy

So, are they doing these things for the protection of spectators and public at large or the players? Which one is the driving factor?

First of all, Manny shouldn't have gotten the job to begin with (after no search). But that's water under the bridge. If we beat every team on the schedule that we had more talent than, we would have had 10 wins last year. But that's the story of just about every season in the last 15. This isn't rocket science. I'd say you're falling for the banana in the tailpipe, but it's worse. You're watching the bananas get loaded in the tailpipe and still falling for it.

If Miami hired Urban Meyer, they almost certainly dont win 10 games his 1st season despite the supposed talent disparity. Why? Because a coach taking a 7 win or less team and turning them into 10 game winners in his 1st season has only happened ONCE in 40 years. Do you understand how statistics work?

Advertisement
If Miami hired Urban Meyer, they almost certainly dont win 10 games his 1st season despite the supposed talent disparity. Why? Because a coach taking a 7 win or less team and turning them into 10 game winners in his 1st season has only happened ONCE in 40 years. Do you understand how statistics work?
Urban took over a 6-6 OSU team and went 12-0 his 1st year.

Urban took over a 6-6 OSU team and went 12-0 his 1st year.

True enough. I missed that one since the article I based the info on was written in 2011. Should have said Nick Saban couldn't have done it instead of Urban Meyer. So its happened twice in 40 years.

If I understand correctly- it is entirely reasonable to expect Diaz to inherit a 7-6 team and win 10 his 1st year because Urban Meyer and Gus Malzahn both did it. Thats is the measuring stick for determining whether a coach in his 1st year with a program sucks or not.

We can also talk coaching debuts. The most successful debut in CFB history was Larry Coker. Since 1st year success is apparently more important than building and sustaining a team, should Miami have given Coker a 20 year deal after winning a championship in his 1st year?

And just to make it clear- I wasn't a fan of the Diaz hire. I am not pro-Diaz. I would trade him for Cristobal in a heartbeat. But I also loathe irrationality. It makes zero sense to determine that a coach is doomed to fail because he had a bad 1st year. First years are a totally irrelevant metric for identifying coaching potential.

Last edited:
True enough. I missed that one since the article I based the info on was written in 2011. Should have said Nick Saban couldn't have done it instead of Urban Meyer. So its happened twice in 40 years.

If I understand correctly- it is entirely reasonable to expect Diaz to inherit a 7-6 team and win 10 his 1st year because Urban Meyer and Gus Malzahn both did it. Thats is the measuring stick for determining whether a coach in his 1st year with a program sucks or not.

We can also talk coaching debuts. The most successful debut in CFB history was Larry Coker. Since 1st year success is apparently more important than building and sustaining a team, should Miami have given Coker a 20 year deal after winning a championship in his 1st year?

And just to make it clear- I wasn't a fan of the Diaz hire. I am not pro-Diaz. I would trade him for Cristobal in a heartbeat. But I also loathe irrationality. It makes zero sense to determine that a coach is doomed to fail because he had a bad 1st year. First years are a totally irrelevant metric for identifying coaching potential.
As far as Manny, I never thought he should've been hired and I don't accept any excuses for not winning 10 games with that schedule.
I understand that it's not realistic to be fired in college after the first year but it's prove it or lose it in 2020, imo.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back