'24 Offense

The best part is, for all the NFL comparison people: NFL teams have had the worst season running the ball in quite some time. Reason? Defenses playing NT in their Nickel defense. That's it. Under center running was awful this season.

We're facing Tite fronts, but sure, run under center lol

Advertisement
The part being lost is Elijah Lofton. He’s a hybrid FB, TE and H-back. Lining him up at fb gives you options to flex him out on a mike in man, run in short yardage or get a mismatch out of the backfield on a wheel route or angles. He’s a Swiss Army knife like Quadrine Hill but bigger. You can still be creative from basic sets like I-Formation.
10 OL and Fullback/QB. Let’s go!

Advertisement
I dont give a **** what formations the offensive staff runs as long as it's creative and works. Last year was the least creative bull**** I've ever seen (oh wait, actually it was somehow worse the year before).

I honestly dont care what the coaches are sharing now, I need to see it on the field to trust they know what they're doing. Last year TVD sucked but they did exactly jack **** to adjust and help him out. Dawson/Mario need to actually earn their checks this year.

We ran it last year , I don’t remember you griping at BC.
The big question is why did it take getting to the last game to run it? It wasn't just the TE's and outlets to the RB's, where were the screens? Offense seemed to go into a shell in the middle of the season.

Then why is it being talked about as if we're going MORE in that direction?
Maybe something interpreted wrong. I think for Cam, it’ll be closer to pro style than what he had at Wazzu. May just be a handful of plays.

What's yall obsession with using the TE's?

I would understand if they were talented, but they're not. That's why we didn't use them. They gave us nothing.

Even when they actually caught the ball, they were dropped immediately.

If Lofton isn't used then I'll have some concerns.

TrumpyCane believes its because someone said Dawson as a OC has never had a TE with more than 25 receptions in a season

Advertisement

I would understand if they were talented, but they're not. That's why we didn't use them. They gave us nothing.

So Mario an elite "recruiter" and Highsmith an elite "evaluator" missed on 3 different blue chip TE's?

Then why is it being talked about as if we're going MORE in that direction?

We will find out in a couple of months. My interpretation of all of this though is that they plan on continuing more of the BC game into next season. We didn’t use it really until that game. Just because people are talking about us using it next season doesn’t = the new full game plan. It can easily just be continuing that (maybe a little more? causing the confusion they we’re going primarily under center) into next season.

None of this means we’re going under center I formation all game. I think the overreactions might be warranted given our history but probably premature until we know more.

I don’t have a problem using under center or I in the right spots. Just give me creativity and tempo.

So Mario an elite "recruiter" and Highsmith an elite "evaluator" missed on 3 different blue chip TE's?
Indeed. Don't forget that Mario is an elite developer, too. More blaming the players...

I don't recall the crootin of Arroyo, Skinner and Williams indicating they were not talented...

TEs have no talent: bring in a blocking TE with less talent... 👀

Advertisement

I agree with Olsen here but important to remember Spread RPO is better in college than in the NFL because the hashes are further apart (so you spread out the defense more with spread) and because the downfield blocking rules let you block 3 yards instead of 1 downfield on a pass (so it is easier to show a run look on a pass).

Advertisement
I agree with Olsen here but important to remember Spread RPO is better in college than in the NFL because the hashes are further apart (so you spread out the defense more with spread) and because the downfield blocking rules let you block 3 yards instead of 1 downfield on a pass (so it is easier to show a run look on a pass).
Yes it’s definitely different types of play action. but people act like Under center is caveman football and it’s ridiculous. Also in condensed areas like the redzone or short yardage, a lot of those positives are taken away.

Last edited:
The best part is, for all the NFL comparison people: NFL teams have had the worst season running the ball in quite some time. Reason? Defenses playing NT in their Nickel defense. That's it. Under center running was awful this season.

We're facing Tite fronts, but sure, run under center lol
….and yet receiving/passing has declined for like 5 years in a row lol.

For simple reason of doing something different that DC's didnt gameplan for. Dawson became extremely predictable which kills you against any decent DC (see NC state for one). Had we pulled a louisville and suddenly did a bunch of TE over middle, RB screens, motion, etc. that no one saw coming, we could have been much more effective.

IMG_2652.jpeg

Advertisement
Back