'24 Offense

will Mario complete his transition and relax his grip on the offensive philosophy?
Ice Cube Lol GIF

Advertisement
Flo and Donno both mentioned he heard the offense is being tweaked toward pro style this offseason. What does that even mean at this point? More predictable early down runs?
Ferman and Shodell also spoke about it on a podcast. They said they believe this may be something they are doing for Ward. maybe just tweaking the offense a bit to include more under center, etc so he can showcase he is more than just an air raid type QB

Ferman and Shodell also spoke about it on a podcast. They said they believe this may be something they are doing for Ward. maybe just tweaking the offense a bit to include more under center, etc so he can showcase he is more than just an air raid type QB
Under center will be great. Idk why anyone would think exclusively shotgun is better or something. When we go “tough n fiscal” there is no question being in shotgun is objectively worse imo.
I’ve never liked play action out of shotgun much

Under center will be great. Idk why anyone would think exclusively shotgun is better or something. When we go “tough n fiscal” there is no question being in shotgun is objectively worse imo.
Nothing more tuff and fyzical than 4WR bunch set in shotgun on 3rd and 1.

it's fun that people are so obsessed with the air raid when the offense that has been absolutely tearing up the nfl for the better part of the last decade operates primarily under center with heavy play action.

Advertisement
it's fun that people are so obsessed with the air raid when the offense that has been absolutely tearing up the nfl for the better part of the last decade operates primarily under center with heavy play action.
Wait till they find out their beloved dolphins run more 21 personnel than anyone in the league...followed by the 49ers then Ravens then Texans.... Hmmm interesting.
The highest epa/pass marks in the NFL are Jags and Lions running 12 (though jags pass rate is only like 6% out of it I think whereas lions is like 35%), Dolphins running 20, and 49ers and Texans running 22 Lol.
Vikings, Lions, Rams all run under center singleback at highest rate in NFL.

All these offenses are the most successful in the NFL and are all from the same Shannahan coaching tree except Ravens and Lions. It's what works. The personel package isn't what makes something "bro style fizical'" though or un creative though. People need to stop combining the uncreative label with physical bro style simple due to formation. Stupid

Last edited:
F it, I’ll just say it:

I dunno what to expect, nor will I set a high or low expectation. Do I have optimism? Absolutely; I think Cam Ward is a great college QB (what he does or how he fares at the next level is no never mind to me).

But my optimism is met w/ some caution, why? TVD.

TVD played in Lashlee’s spread offense, & was, not just the ACC O-Rookie of the Year, but the ACC Rookie of the year. The philosophy changed, & allegedly we were supposed to be running a “power spread O” during Gattis’ tenure. We know that failed miserably. Dawson comes in, & it looked like we began to run a system that TVD was familiar w/, & then it went conservative again.

OK, blame TVD for being a **** poor QB right? Well, Ward has only played in the purist form of an Air Raid offense. He was in that system at Incarnate Word, & then WAZZOU. So the ? is, will this be the same O or will he be forced to learn a new concept he’s unfamiliar w/? That’s the ?

Also, WASU leading TE had 21 receptions on the season, more than our entire TE room combined in 2023, so yeah I’m optimistic, but there’s a hint of weariness, too.

Advertisement
it's hard to judge really what happened to the offense because our roster was not equipped for TVD's catastrophic meltdown

not sure any OC/HC can cook up a win when you have a QB actively trying to help the other team win and 1 backup that has requested a redshirt and the other is a true freshman

with true top tier qb and a solid backup qb on roster, I suspect a lot of *****ing and whining about Dawson will stop this year

I agree with you, but removing TVD from the equation, the lack of creativity and variety in the run game was gross. It was predictable as ****, especially the few times we had a lead in the 2H.

Also redzone playcalling was just as predictable. I know Cam will help with that, but Dawson/Mario have a healthy amount of blame outside of TVD

Advertisement
I’d watch for a little more under center / pro style like approach. I think there‘ll also be a focus on getting the te’s and rb’s more involved in the passing game.
If you believe his private QB coach's public comments he mentioned that Cam would benefit from more reps in a pro style attack.

Could this have been the plan all along?

For the record, our O needs to get ALL skill positions involved in the pass game. A threat to all levels of the field.

Add points to last years per game average and play up to the level of Defense we had last season, and we will be looking **** good. **** if that D further improves, we cookin with bacon grease.

Imagine we finally get a guy like Ward and throw him under center.
He knows this and it’ll help him prepare for the NFL. I’m not saying it’ll be pro style all game but more usage of it than the past couple years. That would allow us to have a more down hill run game. I’d personally like to see more I formation a few times a game. We used some under center stuff at the end of the year and it was successful. There’s nothing wrong with being hybrid , I just care more about creativity than formations. There was very little deception and use of eye candy last year.

Advertisement
I agree with you, but removing TVD from the equation, the lack of creativity and variety in the run game was gross. It was predictable as ****, especially the few times we had a lead in the 2H.

Also redzone playcalling was just as predictable. I know Cam will help with that, but Dawson/Mario have a healthy amount of blame outside of TVD
where is that narrative really coming from? honest question

do we just not like the run plays? because they actually worked very well

considering for a good portion of the year we had no legitimate throwing threat (with TVD struggling and the game emory was in)...our run game might not have been as *flashy as some like, but we ranked 20th in the nation in yards per attempt (against FBS competition, 16th in all games including FCS)

I think it's okay to not like the scheme, but it DID work in terms of running, despite several teams loading the box and the injuries to our RB room.

"predictable as ****" and "gross" wouldn't result in 20th in the nation in yards per attempt, especially considering the circumstances that likely held us back from being top 10

If you believe his private QB coach's public comments he mentioned that Cam would benefit from more reps in a pro style attack.

Could this have been the plan all along?

For the record, our O needs to get ALL skill positions involved in the pass game. A threat to all levels of the field.
If you remember we used under center more at years end. More than the last two years combined. Ward has been in shotgun his entire career so it would also help with prepping for the league. Getting work with his drop backs, footwork and taking a snap under center. Btw i’m talking a handful of plays , we aren’t switching to 84 Lavelle Edward’s pro style lol.

Advertisement
Back