'22 MLB Draft Discussion

Starting to see more players selected outside the MLB Top 250. Entering the range where we could hear Burke or Romero’s names.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Seeing Walters try to throw that breaking ball probably had scouts looking at each other like wtf was that

Advertisement
Gotta imagine if Romero gets taken in the next couple rounds he goes, unless he really gets low balled. Can’t say the same for Burke. If he repeats what he did this year, he’s almost guaranteed to have a 4th round floor next year.

Gotta imagine if Romero gets taken in the next couple rounds he goes, unless he really gets low balled. Can’t say the same for Burke. If he repeats what he did this year, he’s almost guaranteed to have a 4th round floor next year.
Honestly, as a catcher, Romero should probably sign day three. Mileage on your knees probably negates the benefit of extra eligibility or NIL for me.

Advertisement
To scane's point about COVID leverage for players, don't you think every kid drafted in rounds 1 - 10 sign? Teams aren't going to risk even a few hundred K from their pool, are they?

To scane's point about COVID leverage for players, don't you think every kid drafted in rounds 1 - 10 sign? Teams aren't going to risk even a few hundred K from their pool, are they?
This has always been my thought, but with NIL you never know. I’m guessing the NIL offer would come after the draft. Both sides, player and company, would want to see what they need to match/ what’s worth it to come back.

But when it comes to Burke I’ve been saying he’s a unique case bc he’s one of the first Covid players that didn’t project as a top 100-125, guaranteed sign guy. But is plenty good enough to get low 6 figures. We’ll see what happens but nobody taking him yet, tells me they want to see him do it again or they aren’t positive he’ll sign. Both good signs for us IMO.

So I’m leaning toward him coming back right now. Would love for Burke to show back up motivated and with something to prove. No reason why he can’t hit .300 again with 10-15 homers and really raise his profile.

Honestly, as a catcher, Romero should probably sign day three. Mileage on your knees probably negates the benefit of extra eligibility or NIL for me.
Exactly right and getting into the system as soon as you can as a catcher, matters. Especially for guys like Romero who aren’t Gonna hit .280 with 35 homers.

Advertisement
Teams may be saving money anyway. Seeing a heavy mix of 4th year players with a few 5th year players mixed in.

Advertisement
Back