'22 MLB Draft Discussion

Advertisement
The slotting system gets weird sometimes. Cleveland signed a kid for 1.2 million, but he was a 10th round pick and his slot was about 152,000. That same round another kid signed with the Braves at the same slot but for 2,500 bucks.

The slotting system gets weird sometimes. Cleveland signed a kid for 1.2 million, but he was a 10th round pick and his slot was about 152,000. That same round another kid signed with the Braves at the same slot but for 2,500 bucks.
Ya, the slot values don't mean as much after the first few rounds. I bet the kid who got the $2,500 was a 4 YR Jr or Sr, i.e. w practically no leverage. Baseball will need the equal of LIV Golf if that's ever to end.

That said, the kid who accepted $2,500 probably should have given them the middle finger and sign as a FA w the team of his choice.

Ya, the slot values don't mean as much after the first few rounds. I bet the kid who got the $2,500 was a 4 YR Jr or Sr, i.e. w practically no leverage. Baseball will need the equal of LIV Golf if that's ever to end.

That said, the kid who accepted $2,500 probably should have given them the middle finger and sign as a FA w the team of his choice.
Do not think he has a choice if he wants to play. Team that drafted him has him over a barrel.

Advertisement

I wish there was an alternative league but there never will be. KBO seems like the best way, but truth is, it would have to be in our time zone for tv deals. That leaves the independent league as the only option. There’s just not enough ROI for somebody with enough money to buy it.

It’s really a shame bc major league games are too expensive and too boring to go to for most people. IMO the best way to watch pro ball is the minor leagues. Lots of fan engagement, affordability, promo nights, cool uniforms, parks etc.

I wish there was an alternative league but there never will be. KBO seems like the best way, but truth is, it would have to be in our time zone for tv deals. That leaves the independent league as the only option. There’s just not enough ROI for somebody with enough money to buy it.

It’s really a shame bc major league games are too expensive and too boring to go to for most people. IMO the best way to watch pro ball is the minor leagues. Lots of fan engagement, affordability, promo nights, cool uniforms, parks etc.
I prefer minor league and college games to MLB.

Advertisement

Agree - look at the success of the Savannah Bananas. Definitely a little out there, but it's entertaining and the founder speaks the truth (takes a page from the late Coach Fraser, but on steroids). CBB had better go to a pitch clock, etc. if they want to continue to attract new fans.

Agree - look at the success of the Savannah Bananas. Definitely a little out there, but it's entertaining and the founder speaks the truth (takes a page from the late Coach Fraser, but on steroids). CBB had better go to a pitch clock, etc. if they want to continue to attract new fans.

Agreed. I would throw a bunch of summer leagues in there as well. Much more fun than MLB games. Cape games are awesome. I played in the CPL and we always had a bunch of fans.

Agreed. I would throw a bunch of summer leagues in there as well. Much more fun than MLB games. Cape games are awesome. I played in the CPL and we always had a bunch of fans.
So you know about playing in a small town environment - it's awesome. I wish we could get more of that electricity back at the Light. And it doesn't help that regionals and supers are always held during S FL's rainy season.

So you know about playing in a small town environment - it's awesome. I wish we could get more of that electricity back at the Light. And it doesn't help that regionals and supers are always held during S FL's rainy season.
And nothing better than small town environment where the locals come get drunk. That’s the one down side to playing in a major city. It’ll never change.

Advertisement
Or sit out a year and enter draft again . . .
At that point that kid’s best outcome is to go undrafted. If he were to be drafted, which he wouldn’t unless he had played Indy and showed, his signing bonus would be a plane ticket to the Complex (FL or AZ). He’d be lucky if it was a two-way ticket.

Advertisement
If you're drafted in the top-10 rounds; you're signing. Last year all but three signed, one was Rocker, who wanted to sign. One was Jud Fabian, who wishes he signed. The other was a HS prospect who surprisingly didn't sign and went to Oklahoma State.

Most college players drafted will sign, so you would expect all of our draftees to sign except for Walters, and Baltimore is said to be offering him a lot of money to sign, so even that one isn't certain.

The MLB draft has dramatically change under the new CBA, and you'll see college used as a developmental league like the NFL does, except the very top HS kids go high and sign.

If you're drafted in the top-10 rounds; you're signing. Last year all but three signed, one was Rocker, who wanted to sign. One was Jud Fabian, who wishes he signed. The other was a HS prospect who surprisingly didn't sign and went to Oklahoma State.

Most college players drafted will sign, so you would expect all of our draftees to sign except for Walters, and Baltimore is said to be offering him a lot of money to sign, so even that one isn't certain.

The MLB draft has dramatically change under the new CBA, and you'll see college used as a developmental league like the NFL does, except the very top HS kids go high and sign.
Alex Ulloa from Miami. Went to Calvary Christian and ended up playing at Yavapai CC in AZ, a JUCO that's sent a few players to the bigs. He's clearly betting on himself although he put up pretty modest numbers at that level.

One high school player signed for just under $1.5 million in the 11th Round.

Advertisement
Back