22 first rd picks ran track in high school

Advertisement
Correlation certainly exists, and track participation is definitely beneficial. The degree to which it is beneficial is debatable. Basketball might be just as useful if not more, but basketball season is halfway over by the time a playoff football season ends. Track conveniently occupies just spring semester.

Track coaches always post this stuff, and I understand their desire to get the football kids to come out, but I think it's just the fact that freak football players at skill positions are most likely freakishly fast/explosive strength relative to other high school kids. There's always this implication that track helped make these guys special, and I don't think that's the case (though I'll admit it might help to some really small degree).

Advertisement
Richt recruits track athletes. Al Golden didn't give a s**t about that.

Please see my Xavier Williams rant.

Daquris Wiggins is a better prospect than Xavier Williams.

You know why? Wiggins runs track and does it well.

Williams does not.

Why does Williams not run track? Because he is not fast. WR's that are not fast have limited upside.

Williams does not.

Why does Williams not run track? Because he is not fast. WR's that are not fast have limited upside.

Not sure if I'd go that far. I don't remember Amari cooper running track but he can run. You're right tho... some guys don't run track cause they aren't fast.

tenor.gif

Track coaches always post this stuff, and I understand their desire to get the football kids to come out, but I think it's just the fact that freak football players at skill positions are most likely freakishly fast/explosive strength relative to other high school kids. There's always this implication that track helped make these guys special, and I don't think that's the case (though I'll admit it might help to some really small degree).

Most if not all of your better skill position football players have a speed element to their game. Most run track cause they're fast. I ran track cause I knew I was fast. Speed is part of what makes some guys special.

As far as football goes it's just a barometer or a way told verify you're fast. Some guys may look fast on the football field cause the gutsy they're playing against are super slow. Being super fast doesn't always mean you'll be a great football player. See Akeem Jolla 21.0 200m or Terrell Walden. Ideally what you want is a football player that is super fast like Andre Johnson.

Thing is you can be a great football player per say at the hs level but you're game will not translate due to lack of speed.

A lot of times kids who run track tend to have good work ethic too.

Advertisement

Agree.

And I actually coach youth football and track.

Drives me nuts when parents think they can bring their son out to run track, and he magically becomes fast.

Running track can improve your speed, and make you "faster" than you are. But running track can't make you "fast".

Genetics is undefeated!

[url=http://www.milesplit.com/articles/209463

Naw not obsession. Ran track in the big ten. All my brothers ran track in hs and college. I still follow it somewhat. 2 of my brothers coach track.

I just feel like the majority of your better football players have a track back ground especially the elite ones. Most all of your championship teams have sprint champs on the roster or atlesast guys that did well in track.

It's the old chicken or the egg argument. Are kids fast because they run track or do they run track because they're fast? I tend to believe the latter.

Advertisement

Agree.

And I actually coach youth football and track.

Drives me nuts when parents think they can bring their son out to run track, and he magically becomes fast.

Running track can improve your speed, and make you "faster" than you are. But running track can't make you "fast".

Genetics is undefeated!

Exactly. If you have 12.0 second 100m speed then that's all you'll ever be. You won't become a 10.5 100m guy just because you run track.

I love the dunces on this board.

This is not about track making you faster. It's about running track because you are fast.

Wikipedia....

"Cooper attended Miami Northwestern High School in Miami, Florida. As a junior, he missed much of the season with an injury but still managed to be one of Teddy Bridgewater's primary targets and had 16 catches for 175 yards with four scores. Cooper was dominant on the 7-on-7 circuit at various college campuses before his senior season. He had a show-out performance at Alabama's summer camp, and that quickly led to an offer from Nick Saban and the Crimson Tide. In his final year, he hauled in 33 receptions for 722 yards and 6 touchdowns. He was a first team FHSAA 8A All-State selection, as well as the No. 4 player on The Orlando Sentinel’s Florida Top 100.[1] He was also invited to play at the 2012 Under Armour All-America Game, where he had a 75-yard touchdown grab and a 93-yard punt return for a score. In addition to being a standout in football, Cooper also starred in basketball and track at Miami Northwestern.[2]"

Williams does not.

Not sure if I'd go that far. I don't remember Amari cooper running track but he can run. You're right tho... some guys don't run track cause they aren't fast.

Advertisement
I've never seen a track groupie before until OP started posting

Yea you have. You just didn't post meaningless comments like this cause the rest of the board didn't give a ****. Or at least the guys who didn't know anything or understand the sport just didn't say anything.

Naw not obsession. Ran track in the big ten. All my brothers ran track in hs and college. I still follow it somewhat. 2 of my brothers coach track.

I just feel like the majority of your better football players have a track back ground especially the elite ones. Most all of your championship teams have sprint champs on the roster or atlesast guys that did well in track.

.IMG_4037.jpg

Advertisement
Back