2024 Transfer Portal

I don't think Miami would get both Nelson and Spencer. If they do then Miami has to be top 3 to start the year.
I hope they try to, and it does seem like they are. It would provide a superior level of depth and flexibility.

I don't think Coach L can be in the business of being worried about a kid's egos. They all understand the reality of competition and their option to leave via the portal. If Coach L has three to give, he should try to use them as he sees fit to make this team better.

Advertisement
I hope they try to, and it does seem like they are. It would provide a superior level of depth and flexibility.

I don't think Coach L can be in the business of being worried about a kid's egos. They all understand the reality of competition and their option to leave via the portal. If Coach L has three to give, he should try to use them as he sees fit to make this team better.
I'd be absolutely thrilled with either one of these guys

Advertisement
If it were just about the best 5 individual players then Kentucky, Kansas and Duke would be in the final 4 every year.

I hope L proves me wrong but I’m not sure that Nelson fits

Poplar is gonna start and may be our leading scorer if he develops the way L hopes/expects.

If Poplar starts at the two we need a three with a great handle (George, Watson?)… I just can’t imagine Poplar at the 2 and Cleveland at the 3.
Spencer fits us very well. Keeps Wooga at 3 and Cleveland at 4. 2 sharpshooters in Pack and Spencer. Plenty of bench help.

Spencer fits us very well. Keeps Wooga at 3 and Cleveland at 4. 2 sharpshooters in Pack and Spencer. Plenty of bench help.

No doubt I agree.

I think we could still be great without him, but he is definitely a perfect fit for our roster… the only downside would be possible attitude issues with Bens or Watson or George.

Generally I prefer development from within… but no doubt it’s nice to add proven studs.

Advertisement
No doubt I agree.

I think we could still be great without him, but he is definitely a perfect fit for our roster… the only downside would be possible attitude issues with Bens or Watson or George.

Generally I prefer development from within… but no doubt it’s nice to add proven studs.
Probably Watson but that is a following year issue. I think Watson can spell Wooga and even Cleveland.

Benz will see increased minutes and it will be his point after Pack goes. He is an unselfish player.

When you are on a national title contender you have to be unselfish.

Probably Watson but that is a following year issue. I think Watson can spell Wooga and even Cleveland.

Benz will see increased minutes and it will be his point after Pack goes. He is an unselfish player.

When you are on a national title contender you have to be unselfish.

I think you’re right… but I also think we’re good with or without Spencer. Probably better with him but team dynamics and chemistry factor in a way we can’t possibly evaluate as fans.

Only issue is that L rides a shorter rotation… maybe he goes deeper into the bench with more guys he can trust, but I’m not sure.

With Spencer the 9 man rotation is:

Pack/Bens
Spencer
Wooga/Watson or George
Cleveland/Casey
Omier/Nwoko

Somebody who expects to play a substantial role is going to be disappointed if Spencer comes. And that’s probably ok — but it’s not nothing.

No doubt I agree.

I‘m with you on not wanting to add anyone else. I like this teams for the next 2 seasons with how it is currently constructed. I think more so than adding a new player, our success depends on the continued development of our own players. If Watson and Casey show real improvement, like Wooga and Miller did from 2 seasons ago to last season, we have a really good team. And if George and Nwoko can do what we believe they can, this team has the potential to be great.

Advertisement
I think you’re right… but I also think we’re good with or without Spencer. Probably better with him but team dynamics and chemistry factor in a way we can’t possibly evaluate as fans.

Only issue is that L rides a shorter rotation… maybe he goes deeper into the bench with more guys he can trust, but I’m not sure.

With Spencer the 9 man rotation is:

Pack/Bens
Spencer
Wooga/Watson or George
Cleveland/Casey
Omier/Nwoko

Somebody who expects to play a substantial role is going to be disappointed if Spencer comes. And that’s probably ok — but it’s not nothing.
You make a great point and it would be painful to have a transfer f up our team chemistry. Have to trust Larranaga, he’s always made the necessary moves to put the team as a whole first. Objectively, Spencer takes us to a very real chance at a national title and lets George get used to the college game for a few months. We’ll know soon enough I guess…

If we get Spencer great, if not I’m excited by what we have. Plus I think George sees the floor a lot more if so.

Exactly how I feel. Spencer is between us and UConn. He had a great visit but I’m sure the situation in Storrs looks really appetizing to him. I could be wrong but I think the only backcourt player they are returning with any meaningful experience is their PG.

Exactly how I feel. Spencer is between us and UConn. He had a great visit but I’m sure the situation in Storrs looks really appetizing to him. I could be wrong but I think the only backcourt player they are returning with any meaningful experience is their PG.
They also added a top 10 freshman combo guard in Stephon Castle who I am sure expects to start... Hoping that sends Spencer our way. They need an Andre Jackson replacement now, I dont think that's Spencer. I'm sure I'll be wrong.

Advertisement
They also added a top 10 freshman combo guard in Stephon Castle who I am sure expects to start... Hoping that sends Spencer our way. They need an Andre Jackson replacement now, I dont think that's Spencer. I'm sure I'll be wrong.

I think you make a great point that gives us some more hope… still freshman are always and inherently unproven commodities and we have two starter quality guys returning in our backcourt. So I suspect UConn has an easier sell in terms of competition for PT and shots.

Last edited:
I don’t that is a workable lineup with only one guy who can handle the ball.
It's probably not the ideal level of ball handling or outside shooting you want from a starting lineup. But Pack, Wooga and Cleveland are all capable ball handlers, none are elite ball handlers but none are weaknesses either. From the bench you would still have Joseph and George who are both quality ball handlers. At this point you take best available players with the interchangeableness on our roster with Nelson being the best because he is an NBA payer. Spencer would be a great addition as well and might be a slightly better fit but i would still rather have the guy who is a borderline all american.

I think you make a great point that gives us some more hope… still freshman are always and inherently unproven commodities and we have two starter quality guys returning in our backcourt. So I suspect UConn has an easier sell in terms of competition for PT and shots.
Wooga fits best at the 3, probably as well as George. We have a wide open spot for someone at the 2. Castle and Spencer are 1's or 2's neither really fits by being shifted to the 3. I think we have the better pitch for PT as he is a like for like swap with Wong.

Advertisement
Back