2024 Transfer Portal

Advertisement
The more time that goes by, the less likely it becomes that we’ll add another player from the portal. I like the current roster a lot, but going into the season with just 10 scholarship players is not ideal.
Not adding another player from the portal lowers the ceiling of this team. Everyone on the roster will need to contribute and many of them will need to take Wooga like jumps to be as good as many on this board are thinking/hoping this team can be currently constructed. I can’t wait to hear the early reports on the new guys come summer-ball.

The name of the game for next years success will be development.

Not adding another player from the portal lowers the ceiling of this team. Everyone on the roster will need to contribute and many of them will need to take Wooga like jumps to be as good as many on this board are thinking/hoping this team can be currently constructed. I can’t wait to hear the early reports on the new guys come summer-ball.

The name of the game for next years success will be development.
I think we take 1 more, but I also think they really like the 10 they have.

Jon Rothstein has this roster ranked 7 in his preseason poll. Another player would be fine, but I trust L if this is it.
Our current roster is very good, although the bench is very young and inexperienced. The main problem with only rolling with 10 scholarships is it leaves no room for injuries or any other attrition. You can quickly become very thin.

Advertisement
Our current roster is very good, although the bench is very young and inexperienced. The main problem with only rolling with 10 scholarships is it leaves no room for injuries or any other attrition. You can quickly become very thin.

You’re not wrong, but also 11-13 are rarely ever playable. I think we have a roster of 10 guys who can actually play / are ready to play. Very, very few teams can afford to lose a key contributor and make a deep run in March anyway.

Advertisement
If George starts at the 2, where does that leave Benz? I guess still a 6th man

Pack/Joseph
George/Jakai
Poplar/Watson
Cleveland/Casey
Omier/Nwoko

Gkogkos
And that's fine. Best case for Joseph is he might well be backing up both Pack and George. I don't think anyone has any clue on Jakai's capabilities.

Same with Casey. If Nwoko is not ready this season (especially early), Casey could get back up time at both the 4 and 5. Might take a little of the sting out of seeing Cleveland inserted into the starting lineup ahead of him.

You’re not wrong, but also 11-13 are rarely ever playable. I think we have a roster of 10 guys who can actually play / are ready to play. Very, very few teams can afford to lose a key contributor and make a deep run in March anyway.
Benz got 19 minutes per game. I see his minutes moving up to 25. Nobody is playing Wong's 33 minutes per game. Wooga probably going to play 30. Watson and Robinson splitting 15 maybe some time from the others if they are good. George getting 20.

Advertisement
I realize that this is a Brave New World in college basketball. But if you continue to bring in Portal players to start or to take significant minutes in a game, it will mortally wound your ability to recruit out of high school. As the school continuously demonstrates it's aversion to develop and start its recruits, they will no longer commit

I realize that this is a Brave New World in college basketball. But if you continue to bring in Portal players to start or to take significant minutes in a game, it will mortally wound your ability to recruit out of high school. As the school continuously demonstrates it's aversion to develop and start its recruits, they will no longer commit
That’s not entirely the case. Wong, Wooga, Joseph, even Beverley and Walker were all significant contributors last year. Coach L has been known and actually been most successful in finding transfers who can play at positions of need and fit in with the current core of recruited HS players.

Every program is hitting the portal. If kids don’t want to come here (or the other programs bringing in transfers) because we augment our talent with some portal additions each year then they will be going to the bottom dwelling P5 programs and Mid Majors and will be looking to transfer to Miami and the other top 25 teams in 2 years after they have proven themselves.

Not many coaches are that concerned with HS recruits these days (except for the obvious standout, one and done types). They see the Portal as the way to get proven players and I can't disagree.

Advertisement

1685061998709.gif

Advertisement
Back