2024 Roster Discussion

Advertisement
While I'm sure you are accurate statistically, since the draft went to 20 rounds and the top D1 programs have gotten better, doesn't it seem like a lot of the marginal HS kids are going to school, i.e. the MLB teams can mitigate their risk of blowing $$MM's on an unknown 18 year-old?
But that’s already baked in. Teams value the players at a number. Players have a number. If they don’t match, they don’t take them.

It’s definitely moved to marginal kids going to school, but mainly because they’re out pricing themselves.

Advertisement
Do we know if Brewer is staying on staff? He and Fenster both coach infield.
I don’t. I’m hoping Mike Tosar ends up as part of the staff for hitting. If that were to happen, as disappointed as I was with JD getting the HC job, I’d have to say the staff overall would be significantly better than what we’ve had.

Tosar is not coming....Not happening.
Brewer would have been gone by now if he was not in the long term plans.
Brewer will coach 1st and coach a position group and hopefully recruit his *** off.

Advertisement
No lie…if they needed a 1B coach, someone to work with a position, and a recruiter I would have applied and immediately plugged them into the northeast with high end academic kids and schools with kids who come from money.

So I hope Brewer brings more than that.
Having NE connections automatically removes you from contention at this mom and shop being run in coral gables.

Also you say there’s good baseball players that come from money that would love the chance to play at miami?! Wow don’t tell that to some on this board….The scholarship limitations broooo!!!

Advertisement
I have be been told that he plays outfield as well. Not just a Catcher. I researched Goytia and he is only 17. He won't be 18 until next summer according to PG. We can't expect him to catch 36 innings a week.
Coached against him this past season. Kid Is good but not ready for full college catcher load. If we r lucky maybe a mid week here and there. It's gonna be Perez, no need to look around

Advertisement
Not doing back flips, but very happy with Costello. Take all day and he’s a local kid.

“2023 - Appeared in 48 games (35 starts) in the outfield... Finished the season with a .288 batting average to go along with 47 hits, nine doubles, one triple, four home runs and 24 RBIs... Tallied an on-base percentage of .410 and a slugging percentage of .452”

Costello basically makes Levenson loss a wash. Maybe has a chance to be a touch better too. Would love if Cuvet got in unreal shape knocked. Few ticks off his speed and had a 15-20 homerun type season. It not with 50% k’s. Like Cyr this past season but even a touch better.

Offense is closer to being Ok. If we change our style a bit from just all elevate and celebrate, and run the bases a bit more aggressive, play elite def, then really all we need is like 7-8 more arms and we are set.

Not doing back flips, but very happy with Costello. Take all day and he’s a local kid.

“2023 - Appeared in 48 games (35 starts) in the outfield... Finished the season with a .288 batting average to go along with 47 hits, nine doubles, one triple, four home runs and 24 RBIs... Tallied an on-base percentage of .410 and a slugging percentage of .452”
It’s an okay pickup. His numbers are basically Levenson with less pop.

Advertisement
Back