2024 Roster Discussion

If they were drafted in the top-10 rounds, they are absolutely gone. 97% have signed since moving to this format and most of the ones who didn't sign failed to do so because of injury or flagged during physical.

If you are a college player drafted after the top-10 rounds it is over 80% and most of the ones who didn't sign were sophomores etc. rather than true juniors.

HS players drafted after round 15 almost always go to school, well over 80%.
Appreciate the info. I posted that before the draft and was thinking Pitelli might go in a late round or UDFA. But as soon as he was taken in the 7th, I knew he was gone. Well deserved - he had a great season.

Advertisement
If they were drafted in the top-10 rounds, they are absolutely gone. 97% have signed since moving to this format and most of the ones who didn't sign failed to do so because of injury or flagged during physical.

If you are a college player drafted after the top-10 rounds it is over 80% and most of the ones who didn't sign were sophomores etc. rather than true juniors.

HS players drafted after round 15 almost always go to school, well over 80%.
While I'm sure you are accurate statistically, since the draft went to 20 rounds and the top D1 programs have gotten better, doesn't it seem like a lot of the marginal HS kids are going to school, i.e. the MLB teams can mitigate their risk of blowing $$MM's on an unknown 18 year-old?

While I'm sure you are accurate statistically, since the draft went to 20 rounds and the top D1 programs have gotten better, doesn't it seem like a lot of the marginal HS kids are going to school, i.e. the MLB teams can mitigate their risk of blowing $$MM's on an unknown 18 year-old?
I think that’s certainly the case. I haven’t really looked at it in depth but it seemed like 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 kids drafted were HS kids.

Advertisement
After Santana, Cuvet is the kid I wanted in this class for his hitting ability. He is an absolute monster at the plate. Somebody posted that Shin already signed with TB, but I'm not sure if that is accurate.

Advertisement
**** the pitching staff is getting wiped out. 247 article mentioned some like Torres could come back technically. Wonder if JD will try to get a guy like him back...what about the pitcher from MDC that got drafted late.

Advertisement
I know this is hard to determine this early but how ready do you think guys like Cuvet and Jimenez are to contribute right away at this level? I know miamis had some solid freshmen come thru and contribute early in the past few seasons. ADC and Cyr come to mind
They fit the profile of guys that should be able to, but you never know until fall. Jason Diaz a few years ago is the ultimate recent example for me. Number 144 HS prospect according to PG, and it was just obvious the entire fall he was here that he just couldn’t cut it.

Advertisement
I read it more as he got an offer to play pro ball, and you always take it over a fifth year in college. As a pitcher especially, you aren’t getting any younger in the eyes of pro clubs.
Ya, I forgot about lack of leverage next year had he stayed.

They fit the profile of guys that should be able to, but you never know until fall. Jason Diaz a few years ago is the ultimate recent example for me. Number 144 HS prospect according to PG, and it was just obvious the entire fall he was here that he just couldn’t cut it.
Guess so considering I follow the baseball program pretty closely and I don't even remember him lol

Torres to 1B perhaps with the Cuvet news?
I was wondering about this as well. Which one makes more sense as 3rd...and then my next question is whether Cyr would move to SS or not... I know Jimenez is coming in but Dorian also stayed. His glove is solid at 2B if he could figure it out more at the plate

Advertisement
Back