2024 2024 CB Josh Philostin

Advertisement
Do you think he can play Field Corner in college or is he more of a Speedy Inside Nickel?

I think he has the natural hip fluidity & footwork to play outside at the next level, but could easily be a Nickel Cover Corner as well.
Fielder's Choice fam. He definitely has those FC tools you mentioned in spades. But he looks to have that short area quickness and "box mentality" to thrive at Nickel.

Jit'll definitely pull up and introduce himself in run support. If he's a legit 6'(and likely still growing), you might wanna keep him outside.

You know I'm no DB expert, but let's just say our CB room is the wet dream(pause)we hope for(Money🤞🏾, Brown, Singletary🤞🏾, Graves, Harris, etc.), I'd have no issues with him getting burn at Nickel just to get him out there...

Josh was interviewed on Sebastian Lane Show tonight (will direct link the interview when the live stream ends)

Last edited:
Fielder's Choice fam. He definitely has those FC tools you mentioned in spades. But he looks to have that short area quickness and "box mentality" to thrive at Nickel.

Jit'll definitely pull up and introduce himself in run support. If he's a legit 6'(and likely still growing), you might wanna keep him outside.

You know I'm no DB expert, but let's just say our CB room is the wet dream(pause)we hope for(Money🤞🏾, Brown, Singletary🤞🏾, Graves, Harris, etc.), I'd have no issues with him getting burn at Nickel just to get him out there...
Facts.

I like his quick-twitch ability & aggressiveness as a potential Nickel & due to his size that would likely be his spot.

But his speed & ball skills is what you always want on the Island at Field.

Been a long time since we’ve had a sub 11 100m CB.

Advertisement
Facts.

I like his quick-twitch ability & aggressiveness as a potential Nickel & due to his size that would likely be his spot.

But his speed & ball skills is what you always want on the Island at Field.

Been a long time since we’ve had a sub 11 100m CB.

I like both him and Ryan Mack as possible nickel corners with both having the possibility of playing outside as well.

Mack listed as safety but looks like corner to me.

5’10/11 160lbs 4-star CB out of Palm Beach, goes to 3A school Cardinal Newman

Was originally at PBG but transferred to Newman

Had a great Sophomore season with 27tcks 12PBU’s & 1INT, plus 200yds in KO returns & 2 TD’s

Is a natural cover corner with gifted concise footwork & quick-twitch fluidity.
@1:55 does a great job in Bump & run coverage skating his feet out of his stance while reshuffling his feet in his backpedal, make quick route recognition & immediately flipping his hips to recover track the ball down to get the PBU.

He’s got terrific hip & speed turn ability with choppy sudden footwork & transitional lateral movement to cover in-breaking routes. Plays with great hands while staying in Phase & is an active Corner with WR skills.

Has legit 4.4-4.48 speed with good sub 11 100m & sub 22 200m track times:

100m

200m

Also had a 51.48 in the 400m

View attachment 199769

He camped at Miami this Summer in our 7v7 tournament & visited back in the Spring

A textbook natural pure cover corner with grade A speed, athletic traits & very good eye discipline while in phase. Will need to get bigger because he’s skinny, but he’s a kid that once he hits the S&C program will thrive in the right system. Is a true Field Corner that can be left on an Island, a Dawg in Press Man that can also play Off-cover Zone & has natural savvy technique that can be molded into a future starter.

He only has one offer right now from Indiana, but he will be blowing up more as he begins making the rounds taking more visits & camping. He’ll be a kid to keep tabs on over his Junior season. I think we’d do ourselves a favor by offering him early, but we’ll see if he comes on the staff’s radar.

High upside prospect, reminds me of Lu-Magia Hearns

Love the write up OP. The Lu comparison is so underrated, are you from the Bay Area? I’m shocked to see someone comparing him to Canes prospect on here

Love the write up OP. The Lu comparison is so underrated, are you from the Bay Area? I’m shocked to see someone comparing him to Canes prospect on here
My fault @Memnon my dumb *** didn’t even notice you changed your name. Missed you breaking down kids! Glad to have you back my guy

Advertisement

Palm Beach (Fla.) Cardinal Newman 2024 four-star cornerback Josh Philostin’s first visit to Miami last month went so well, he felt he had to return for a second spring visit.

Philostin, the No. 19 cornerback in the 2024 class and No. 196 overall prospect in the On300, made his second visit of the spring to Miami late last week as he begins to feel like a priority target for the Hurricanes. He also attended Miami’s junior day March 4 and has the Canes high on his list along with Texas A&M, UCF, Duke and Rutgers. He’s also hearing from multiple other programs including Wisconsin and Arkansas.

“It’s really just the atmosphere (on campus). It’s always energetic,” Philostin said. “They’re just showing me it’s everything they talked about. The coaches are always hype, always turned up, great vibes, great personalities.”

The 5-foot-10.5, 160-pound corner talks with secondary coach Jahmile Addae and defensive analyst DeMarcus Van Dyke several times per week, and he said he spoke with virtually the entire defensive staff on his trip. Miami currently leads for Philostin according to the On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine.

“The practice was well-organized. They’re always well-organized,” Philostin said. “It’s very competitive (at Miami). The players are always going at it, coaches are coaching them up. They’re always turnt up.”

He said Miami’s recruiting effort is helping the Canes stand out as a prospective school, and the staff has told him he could have the opportunity to come in and play early. Texas A&M, Duke, UCF and Rutgers are making a similar pitch, which he heavily values. Miami told Philostin they want him to return to Coral Gables sometime soon and “are trying to get me back as soon as often.”

Philostin wants to announce his commitment sometime over the summer so he can enter his high school senior season focused on one school.

CaneSport’s Take
Miami feels like the frontrunner for Philostin if the Canes want to accept a commitment from the undersized but athletic defensive back.

Philostin will need to show more consistency during his senior season to continue to improve his stock as well as tack on more muscle, although his ball skills have helped him reach his status as a blue-chip recruit. Expect other programs to continue to push for him as well as we wait to hear which schools he’ll take official visits to, particularly because Philostin has valued a program’s effort so heavily in his recruitment.

Advertisement
I'm not sure he's got a committable offer right now. He has technique issues (thanks @Coach Macho, your analysis earlier in the year led me to take a deeper dive), and he's pretty **** small (measured just over 5-10, 160 pounds back in Spring of 2022) unless he's been growing some. Then he's probably just pretty small. He may be a low 4-star on the composite (he's actually been slowly dropping), but he's got a 3-star offer list. He's been to FSU at least twice without getting an offer. No UF offer either.

Advertisement
Back